Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Understanding Shock Dynamics

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by kcb58h » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:30 pm

Dear Abby,

My front shock has 5.06" travel. I have a 3" lift spacer and stiffer springs that add .76" static lift.
When my truck is at rest, is 3.76" is drawn out of the shock. Or is that 3.76"/1.50=2.50" drawn out of shock?
So at the wheel, how much (downward, I assume) travel am I losing?
Does it gain anything in upward travel?
Does this mean hitting a deep pothole with this setup make it more likely to top the shock out?
Do I have the whole thing reversed?

Signed,
Curiously Confused
Attachments
IMG_0238.JPG
kcb58h
Cruiser

Name: K.C.
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 2WD

by bartonmd » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:45 am

The "lift" amounts advertised are at the wheel, so 1.5x what is happening at the shock.

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:28 pm

You had it just about right KC. Not sure where you got the 5.06" of travel, shock mfg website? Lets roll with it.

Lets assume that at 5.06" of travel, you've got half up and half down from stock stance, giving us around 2.5" of up and down travel.

There are three types of lift blocks: Inside, outside, and combination.

Outside blocks take nothing from your travel, and only offset the whole strut down. This may be fine for 2WD trucks, but for 4WD trucks they can allow the suspension to droop down too far and damage the CV shaft.

Inside blocks take directly from your down travel. So if you get a 1" thick inside block, your up travel would become 3.5", and your down travel would become 1.5".

Combo is what most one-piece blocks are on the market today that replace the upper shock mount. They tend to balance their lift between inside and outside strut amounts to achieve the maximum amount of lift without overextending components of the suspension and drivetrain.

Lets assume that your lift is balanced half and half. A 3" lift block equates to a block thickness of about 2" due to the lever arm (3 / 1.5 = 2). Assuming it is balanced between inside and outside lift, you are losing 1" of strut extension. With the spring in your post also contributing .75" of lift (.5" at the strut), you lose 1.5" of extension in total. This is taken away from your 2.5" of original suspension extension travel, giving you 1" of downward travel from the resting point.

Yes, it basically gains the equivalent in compression travel, now giving you 4" of compression travel (its possibly a little more limited due to the fact that the spring will eventually compress into itself and form a solid, which you want to avoid because it can prematurely damage a spring).

Yes, the setup will be more likely to top out. Its a price we have to pay for IFS where you can't reposition the front diff.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by kcb58h » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:49 am

JD - Thanks for the detailed response. I understand about half of it. I'll re-read it later. 5.06" is what Monroe (don't laugh) states.
I put Mark's 3" on and swapped 83 springs for 87s (+.75"). Too harsh for my likes.
Mark sent me a pair of .75" spacers to account for the 87s and go back to 83s. I'm having doubts about how much that'll improve ride, but before I had the 2"RC level kit and 83s and it rode like a dream. Really - more than one passenger commented on the smooth ride. Now I feel every tar strip. But eating up another 1.75"?

Should I take my sorry-assed 2wd b*****t to one of those sites where they discuss led underlighting?

2" RC kit + 3" LM kit + Monroes + 87 springs + labor = $150 less than Radflos!
Spend and learn.

Happy Trails
Attachments
IMG_2000.JPG
3" LM kit
IMG_0057.JPG
2" RC kit
kcb58h
Cruiser

Name: K.C.
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 2WD

by Anthony Hernandez » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:30 pm

Where'd you find 87's @?
Marks3"-moog 14's-fox shocks-z71's-4.56 gears-rear locker-
My build - viewtopic.php?f=74&t=6225
Anthony Hernandez
Trail-Blazer

Name: Anthony

by Trail X » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:52 pm

Anthony, have you installed your 89s yet?!?

KC, I'm curious when you say the 87s were too harsh. I wonder if you were merely topping out a lot? or if you really thought it was too stiff. For us that go offroad, the stiffer springs are very nice because they keep your suspended body and frame from smacking into the ground as much when your tires are coming down off of objects.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by Anthony Hernandez » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:48 pm

Nope....no balls.... :facepalm:
Marks3"-moog 14's-fox shocks-z71's-4.56 gears-rear locker-
My build - viewtopic.php?f=74&t=6225
Anthony Hernandez
Trail-Blazer

Name: Anthony

by KingBird » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:32 pm

I, too, like a softer springrate. I rarely get to climb trails and I take every chance I get, but my softer springs work great on caliche roads and washboards.

Plus, it's a lot better having the wife enjoy riding in the thing and if it jarred her around too much, she wouldn't. You just have to be extremely careful about carrying momentum coming down off rocks or you'll damage your rig.

Once it becomes my dedicated rig I may change the springs.
Bravada G80 3.73 converted to selectable 4wd.
KingBird
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brian
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by djthumper » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:05 pm

kcb58h wrote:Should I take my sorry-assed 2wd b*****t to one of those sites where they discuss led underlighting?

GMTN will talk to you about under lighting as well
djthumper

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD

Return to Lifts / Suspension