Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Your issues after lifting

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by v7guy » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:24 am

sicklife17 wrote:Yes I understand it's not a sports car but if I need to race one I'm not backing out! what are the most foreseen issues afterwards? I can't wait to prove my freinds wrong!!

image.gif
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by fallen angel » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:38 pm

265/6517 at3's on mine, marks 3". I don't remember the front springs, but they are of the stiffer variety. The car handles BETTER than before the lift. Ride is fantastic, steering dead on, highway is perfect, ect..

One thing not many people mention about the lift, the front struts are closer to the bottom of their range of travel. Not a big deal, but you will fully extend the struts on larger bumps, speed bumps, ect. No harm done.

Also, take the time to swap your upper control arms. I didn't have to cut anything, just bent the metal a tiny bit out of the way to get two of the bolts out. Caster is the only thing out, but it doesn't effect anything worth worrying about. Alignment otherwise is perfect.

I haven't noticed any issues with the cv boots splitting yet or my disconnect not working, but I only have about 7,000 miles on the lift right now. Car has about 118000 miles total with the stock axles and stock disconnect. (all other stock as well except one front wheel bearing, rear shocks)
fallen angel
Cruiser

Name: Rick
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:58 am

You should definitely get an alignment after lifting. It should basically be mandatory.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by redmaro42 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:49 am

Trail X wrote:You should definitely get an alignment after lifting. It should basically be mandatory.

This is correct, unless it is a body lift, otherwise any suspension lift needs an alignment afterwards.
redmaro42

Name: Travis
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by sicklife17 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:40 pm

Yes I will deffinatly Be gettig a alignment. How are your at3's I have been reading the reviews and they seem to run small
sicklife17
Cruiser

Name: Justin
Vehicle Year: 2002

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:29 pm

Few weeks ago my 35s saw triple digits plus a decade or so on the speedo without any issue or worry with homemade bolt on front swaybar links and no rear swaybar. Actually it was pretty amazing how solid it felt.

I think the only lifting issue I had was with the 2.5 inch susp actually. It was the failure of the stock upper strut mount. The 3 inch was developed to avoid that issue. All other issues are more offroading caused than just lifting.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle

by fallen angel » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:58 pm

The AT3s are fantastic on road and offroad. Noise is very minimal given you keep them aired up properly (I run 38psi on all 4 corners) and rotated/aligned. They wear a bit funny but nothing to drastic for the type of tire.

That being said.. Snow.. they are definitely not snow tires. Granted I will likely never get stuck with them (never mind my wife's roller derby team pushing me out of a snow bank I got a little overzealous with) but they slide around a good bit on the snow. Next year I may see about running a narrower snow in the winter. It may not be worth the cost as my drive should be much shorter at that point.
fallen angel
Cruiser

by AA1PR » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:45 pm

fallen angel wrote:The AT3s are fantastic on road and offroad. Noise is very minimal given you keep them aired up properly (I run 38psi on all 4 corners) and rotated/aligned. They wear a bit funny but nothing to drastic for the type of tire.

That being said.. Snow.. they are definitely not snow tires. Granted I will likely never get stuck with them (never mind my wife's roller derby team pushing me out of a snow bank I got a little overzealous with) but they slide around a good bit on the snow. Next year I may see about running a narrower snow in the winter. It may not be worth the cost as my drive should be much shorter at that point.

I ran the cooper AT3's for 2 years & I think they are far better then the BFG TA KO's in snow
2004 GMC Yukon, 4X4 SLT, 5.3L Vortec,
1966 Stevens M416 trailer too
"Now she is gone I got my Yukon" ExpeditionNorth.com
AA1PR
Off-Roader

Name: Mike
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by fallen angel » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:44 am

That wouldn't surprise me. They're just it quite as good as I was hoping. Not bad by any stretch, but make me want snows.
fallen angel
Cruiser

by TBYODA » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:59 pm

You could have the AT3 @ to high psi. Might want to try the calk test and or call Cooper to get the psi for our trucks. Just a thought. Also does it take some miles to get down to the Silica based tread compound?
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by redmaro42 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:28 pm

If you like the AT3s but want better bite in the snow, Cooper recently came out with the Discoverer ATW. Same tread as the AT3 except with more siping which enabled it to get the severe weather rating given to it like snows have. Will still get 50k mileage out of it, but lose a bit of dirt/mud traction when compared to the at3.
redmaro42

Name: Travis

by fallen angel » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:38 pm

Honestly, I run the 38 just based on personal feel/testing. I used to sling tires for a while, and went with what I think is pretty close if perhaps very slightly over inflated. Any lower and you can feel/hear them dragging more and would lead to cupping, not good. If I dropped them to 33psi for the snow, that could make all the difference. I may just give cooper a call to see what they say.

Those ATWs look pretty good. I'd look at giving them a shot if I hadn't just put these tires on.

Again, they're not horrible, I just wish they were a little better in the snow. Covered ground and it felt like 4wd wasn't engaged earlier this week, let the truck drift to turn type stuff. 4wd was definitely working, I checked, it was just spinning away. In their defense, that was some snotty slick snow we got. I did go to the trailblazer after having an audi TT with really good snows. that thing would more likely plow snow then ever get stuck, and it was fwd.

I've hijacked this thread enough. I'll post up in the tire section if I ever get around to calling cooper for their input. I would also never call these tires bad in the snow, just not up to par with a dedicated snow. I wouldn't ask that of them anyway.
fallen angel
Cruiser

by KielTb » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:19 am

The only part of lifting I've installed so far is the z71 springs on my ext. Hasn't changed much other than rake the stance a bit worse than stock but still knocking away at my wallet with ball joint failure more often than I'd like. Rebuilt the whole front end in november (struts, ball joints, hubs) only have about 5 or 6000 miles and the inspection shop I took it to just showed me the driver side upper bj has some slop to it and I've been noticing the outside edges of the front tires wearing faster than the rest. I'm betting the bit of extra rear lift combined with no 2nd or 3rd row of seats, no carpet, no spare all add to the wear of my uppers by slightly throwing off the caster and leaning all the weight to the front
KielTb
Cruiser

Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:33 pm

Should have got an alignment if you think that way. At least parts should be under warranty still!
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

by SMT59 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:20 pm

Just got my lift installed today and an alignment, did not flip the UCA and the only issue was the caster which will be resolved tomorrow. Lift is by MarkMC. UBJ angle seems to be fine but with everything I'm reading here do I need to? It's the latest style 3" lift/level kit.
Don't look back, you're not going that way.
SMT59
Cruiser

Name: Stephen

by Jrgunn5150 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:24 pm

SMT59 wrote:Just got my lift installed today and an alignment, did not flip the UCA and the only issue was the caster which will be resolved tomorrow. Lift is by MarkMC. UBJ angle seems to be fine but with everything I'm reading here do I need to? It's the latest style 3" lift/level kit.

NEED and should aren't the same thing. I doubt they'll get your caster to spec without flipping the upper arms.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Name: Jr.

by SMT59 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:31 pm

Thanks for your quick response Jr., so it sounds like I should do the flip then. May as well re and re the ball joints while I'm at it.
SMT59
Cruiser

by Jrgunn5150 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:35 pm

Some people have been able to get it in, I guess it depends on where your springs are as far a sag and whatnot. I know I flipped mine and they got it in spec the first time without even a comment about it being lifted.

If you have the press and an impact, upper BJ's are pretty easy to knock out.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Name: Jr.

by SMT59 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:47 pm

I'm pretty sure the tech was just being lazy as it was late afternoon and it seemed like he really did not want to work on anything challenging. The manager asked me to bring it back tomorrow so if they can get it within spec great and if not then I have my next project. I was planning on BJ's in the spring but if need be my friends shop can help out.
SMT59
Cruiser

by SMT59 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:33 pm

I just watched a YouTube clip on replacing the UCA's, very easy but when flipped over do they go back as easy?
SMT59
Cruiser

PreviousNext

Return to Lifts / Suspension