Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Your issues after lifting

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by HARDTRAILZ » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:30 pm

Nexus1155 wrote:OH WHERE DO I BEGIN?!

-Skyjackers in rear not fitting properly and no spacers provided when they are specifically meant to go on a lifted TV.
--NOT specifically made for a TV. Actually adapted by us through researching other platforms and finding something close
-Front strut slammed into my chest when compressing. That one I will blame on myself when putting back together I dropped the washer and it shot out.
--That sucks, but just an accident, not an issue--
-Didn't know that the axles pull more with the angle change and the boots popped off on both sides sprayed grease everywhere and caught the drivers side on fire and potentially ruined my disconnect.
--That fact is listed 100s of times through this and every lifted TB/Voy discussion available.--

-Upper BJ on passenger side came apart and control arm fell off when I parked the truck. THANK GOD. Had to replace the whole knuckle since it is seized in there.
--Holy Hell. Must have been a bad joint cause the upper is easy to swap BJ on and only one other failure of the upper that I can remember in 5 or 6 years--

Maybe flipping the UCA when first doing the install would have helped prevent all of this? I don't know. This is just getting ridiculous for 3 inches and some nicer tires for the winter that are already fried through because of the bad angle. :evil: :evil: :evil:
--Did you fry your tires cause you did not get an alignment? Many have gone 50-100K miles without tire issues.

I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Nexus1155 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:10 pm

Ahhhh that makes a little more sense now. Wherever I bought them from I chose the trailblazer model and those popped up. They blew within 6 months regardless. Cheap enough to replace though easily. Should only take 20 minutes all together.

I read and read and read about the lifts and what to choose and why to not do the springs without this or that, but NEVER read anything about the axles. Which when it happened I found TONS of information it almost made my head hurt that I didn't see it before.

I swapped all of my BJ around previously when the inspection station said they were bad. All MOOG products and when I got to it it looked like all the lubrication was gone, but no torn boot on the BJ? They aren't too bad to replace with the tool but this one stripped my tool and stuck to the knuckle. Got a new knuckle $40 picked(they took it off). Not too shabby!

I got an alignment, tie rod failure as well. One thing led to another led to another, I just didn't see some things or potentially didn't have the time or money to fix when working 60+ hours a week. Sucks, but thats life sometime. I do love my XUV though. I am trying to keep it against all odds but it looks like the front end needs to be totally redone for the most part.

The getting hit in the chest part was more of a warning than an issue obviously. It could have stopped my heart or blinded me. I'd show the picture but its a little graphic. It did knock me to the floor though and knock the wind out of me for a while
Nexus1155
Cruiser

Name: Nick
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: GMC Envoy XUV
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by HARDTRAILZ » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:23 pm

Step up to the 5125 Bilstein in the rear and be happy!

I would buy a couple spare knuckles for $40 just to make swapping easier. Nice!

My truck needs a bunch on the front end and have all the parts sitting but with about 55 hrs a week for work and then some side gigs plus 3 kids...it gets overlooked alot. But I certainly can't say it is a lift issue.

I shot a spring into a trash can when a compressor failed. Luckily it was a controlled release cause I use hand tools and that gave me control as things went sideways.

Overall I am amazes at how well these trucks do lifted. Having had a good many other rigs and seen far worse issues, i really feel I can count on the TB at any time. Nice feeling to have when the damn thing is on 35s. Even my wife says it is the go to vehicle cause it just always gets us through whatever.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Nexus1155 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:53 pm

Thanks, I'll definitely be getting the Bilsteins. I love the HD's in the front. Exactly, don't get me wrong, it took probably a total of 2 hours to get it stripped to the point of needing the disconnect taken out and knuckle off, but if its my primary vehicle for the week and I need to order another part or seal. Ouch. I was using the BMW spring compressor that is attached to a table and air tools. AWESOME compressor, but I had a dumbass moment. I loved it after it was lifted. People said it had more sway. I hooked it to avoid an accident one day. Even with a messed up front end, this thing was stable as a rock. I did get stuck when I only had the rear end lifted and it looked like a race truck :D I got ballsy when I got the BFG trails and went up on a snow pile and teetered the truck and got it caught on the push bar and front wheels had no traction. WOOPS!
Nexus1155
Cruiser

by bljis123 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:41 pm

Yeah Bilstein 5125 in backs are great!!! I put those in with a Spohn Pan Hard adjustable bar. Been great in back on bumps ever since.

My fronts are Napa OEM and they suck bad, lol. Noise on bumps and since putting on bumper with skids I lost about 3/4" in height.

I have to second HARDTRAILZ on the reliability factor. This is just a weekend vehicle, but since the lift and mods it's my Go To vehicle. Especially during the last hurricane, taking a ride was fun and an adventure. The 06 Acura TL sits in garage and battery dies now, so got to sort that with a tender soon.
Moog 14 springs with Bilstien 5125 shocks sitting on BFG KO2's
2003 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4x4
bljis123
Off-Roader

Name: Brett
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: GMC Envoy XL
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Moots1288 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:21 pm

Mine is a great truck when she runs! Been having a demon known as steering lately, but I had no issues after lifting her.
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Timberwolf » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:14 pm

So far I'm really liking mine after the lift. I'm running 285/70-18, and have 1.5" spacers.

Issues I still have:
hitting the fender bolt at the rear of the front wheel opening
I need to find adjustable control arms for the rear to recenter the axle. Suggestions?
Timberwolf
Cruiser

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003

by rScherzer » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:06 am

Timberwolf wrote:So far I'm really liking mine after the lift. I'm running 285/70-18, and have 1.5" spacers.

Issues I still have:
hitting the fender bolt at the rear of the front wheel opening
I need to find adjustable control arms for the rear to recenter the axle. Suggestions?

Check Massive for the rear suspension. They or he is a vendor on here. I seen where you could get the adjustable rear control arms and pan hard bar kit for 500-600 doll hairs.
rScherzer
Off-Roader

Name: Robert
Vehicle Year: 2002

by Nexus1155 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:26 am

It may be time for me to get another truck, or at least dismantle this lift kit and put everything back to stock. I recently changed out all of the front suspension components other than the front swaybar bushings and struts(replaced earlier this year). Aligned professionally. Tightened up the LCA I made sure of it, and it drove AMAZING for about a month through the snow and everything else. Got off the highway today and now I am hearing some clunking when turning which is very innerving. I have yet to get the vehicle on jacks to check what is going on just yet, but literally, what the hell. What could it possibly be that is clunking when I am popping left and right that much, surely not the swaybar bushings...
Nexus1155
Cruiser

by Nexus1155 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:04 pm

Long story short I got it up and checked on it and found that both sides sway bar end links are both destroyed after I just replace them. Both rods seemed bent and they had a lot of play it was nothing short of amazing and such small time
Nexus1155
Cruiser

Previous

Return to Lifts / Suspension