Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

2500HD TRE RC Sleeve

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by Moots1288 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:23 pm

So after Tecore 9 when ErikSS bent his inner tie rod, we had the idea to figure out a way to strengthen the inner. Now some of you have seen the Fabtech and Rareparts set ups that cost well over $250. I have installed Rough Country sleeves (Part: Rough Country 1103 - HD Tie Rod Sleeve Upgrade). They're $35 for the pair and they're installed right over the HD conversion inner tie rod. These sleeves are made to fit HD OEM diameter inner's so if you have Moog or any aftermarket TRE then you'll have to do some drilling of the sleeve with 5/8 drill bit, I used a 19/32 bit, but had to do a little reaming of the sleeve.
Image

How to:

Step 1: Jack up the car and remove the tire.

Image
Step 2: Loosen Jam nut before removing the outer TRE

Step 3: Remove nut on outer TRE

Step 4: Unscrew the outer TRE off of the inner (you can try and count the number of turns you spin off to get the alignment as close as possible)

Step 5: If you do not have HD OEM diameter TREs you will need to drill out 3/4's of the inside of the sleeve. Personally I used a Hand drill had more control then if I used a drill press which I tried at V7guys the night before.
This is with the drill press.

Image

I used a pipe vise and a hand drill and worked much better.
Image

Step 6: While drilling, drill half way and attempt you screw on. I stopped a couple of times just so I didnt drill to far, you'd want it enough so the alignment shop, so drill deep enough to get play with the outer TRE.
Image

Step 7: Cover the threads and non threaded part with anti-seize so the 2 metals do not fuse together and screw the sleeve all the way on. Then reinstall the outer TRE, if you counted it'll be easier to get the alignment closer.
Image

Image

This is how much space I left for alignment on both sides
Image

This is the job completed after the alignment. The sleeve will be used as the Jam nut so you do not need the Jam nut anymore.
Image
User avatar
Moots1288
Veteran
 
Posts: 1964
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:42 pm
Location: Long island
Name: Moots
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD
Rank: Offroad Rated

by ErikSS » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:38 pm

First, I did NOT help Moots write this up. I only had him change 2 small things. He did this write up. I DO have this installed on my truck as well. I can tell you, the sleeves are really good steel. They feel strong as hell. I feel very confident in this set-up. (they look bad a$$ too)
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
User avatar
ErikSS
Lifer
 
Posts: 2030
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:23 pm
Location: IL, Flossmoor
Name: Erik
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip
Rank: Offroad Rated

by NC_IslandRunner » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:20 pm

Nice write-up Matt!
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
User avatar
NC_IslandRunner
Moderator
 
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: NC, Sanford
Name: Rory
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80
Rank: Offroad Rated

by Moots1288 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:22 pm

NC_IslandRunner wrote:Nice write-up Matt!

Thanks! All it took was a computer that I finally got after being lazy for months... :facepalm:
User avatar
Moots1288
Veteran
 
Posts: 1964
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:42 pm
Location: Long island
Name: Moots
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD
Rank: Offroad Rated

by Aries » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:57 pm

Moots1288 wrote:Now some of you have seen the Fabtech and Rareparts set ups that cost well over $250.

$250.35 to be exact :raspberry:
Aries
Trail-Blazer
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:38 am
Location: Delaware
Name: David
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Moots1288 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:04 pm

MOOG Part # ES3488 x 2 - $29.99
MOOG Part # ES3609 x 2 - $43.79
Rough Country 1103 - $35
Total = $182.56 :finger:

And it's the better option for the guys that already have the HD on there rigs. :raspberry:
User avatar
Moots1288
Veteran
 
Posts: 1964
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:42 pm
Location: Long island
Name: Moots
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD
Rank: Offroad Rated

by Trail X » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:07 pm

Thanks Matt. Cool mod. What is the thread diameter on those HD TREs? Trailblazers are 16 (with the exception of the early models), I'm curious where the HDs stand.

ErikSS wrote:I can tell you, the sleeves are really good steel. They feel strong as hell.

You're hands are so strong that you can feel a difference between good steel and bad steel?
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
User avatar
Trail X
Founder
 
Posts: 9775
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:22 pm
Location: VA, Roanoke
Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker
Rank: Expedition Guide

by Moots1288 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:09 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Thanks Matt. Cool mod. What is the thread diameter on those HD TREs? Trailblazers are 16 (with the exception of the early models), I'm curious where the HDs stand.


I will let you know when I get my truck back from the "stealership"
User avatar
Moots1288
Veteran
 
Posts: 1964
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:42 pm
Location: Long island
Name: Moots
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD
Rank: Offroad Rated

by ErikSS » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:16 pm

I believe they are only 14mm threads.
My hands can tell the difference in steel quality if they are trying to drill through it! Also they are surprisingly heavy.
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
User avatar
ErikSS
Lifer
 
Posts: 2030
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:23 pm
Location: IL, Flossmoor
Name: Erik
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip
Rank: Offroad Rated

by mikekey » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:09 am

Aries wrote:
Moots1288 wrote:Now some of you have seen the Fabtech and Rareparts set ups that cost well over $250.

$250.35 to be exact :raspberry:


Moots1288 wrote:MOOG Part # ES3488 x 2 - $29.99
MOOG Part # ES3609 x 2 - $43.79
Rough Country 1103 - $35
Total = $182.56 :finger:

And it's the better option for the guys that already have the HD on there rigs. :raspberry:


A savings of $67.79

Hope they don't break or bend. :cheers:
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
User avatar
mikekey
Lifer
 
Posts: 2583
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:08 am
Location: North America
Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80
Rank: Expedition Rated

by ErikSS » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:26 am

mikekey wrote:A savings of $67.79

Hope they don't break or bend. :cheers:

Its a much bigger savings if someone just wants to upgrade the HDs they already have.... As he was saying. I'm impressed with the $250.39 for Fabtech. I could not find them under $300.
These are not intended for use on Moog... That's why we had to drill them Moog has a larger diameter. I really like the combo.
What's the reason behind the rib shape of the Fabtech?
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
User avatar
ErikSS
Lifer
 
Posts: 2030
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:23 pm
Location: IL, Flossmoor
Name: Erik
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip
Rank: Offroad Rated

by mikekey » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:14 am

ErikSS wrote:
mikekey wrote:A savings of $67.79


Its a much bigger savings if someone just wants to upgrade the HDs they already have.... As he was saying. I'm impressed with the $250.39 for Fabtech. I could not find them under $300.
These are not intended for use on Moog... That's why we had to drill them Moog has a larger diameter. I really like the combo.
What's the reason behind the rib shape of the Fabtech?


Cheaper than replacing them with new TRE's true. Cheaper over all, only by 27% savings if you go Fabtechs from the start.

And you obviously didn't look hard enough because two of us have gotten them under $300 already. Maybe you're thinking of the Rareparts.

Not sure why Aries bought the Fabtechs, no one has yet proven them. And it's going to be awhile before I beat my tires on any big rocks.
User avatar
mikekey
Lifer
 
Posts: 2583
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:08 am
Location: North America
Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80
Rank: Expedition Rated

by ErikSS » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:48 am

mikekey wrote:Cheaper than replacing them with new TRE's true. Cheaper over all, only by 27% savings if you go Fabtechs from the start.

That's true! But we don't know which system will be more reliable long term. I like both options!
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
User avatar
ErikSS
Lifer
 
Posts: 2030
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:23 pm
Location: IL, Flossmoor
Name: Erik
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip
Rank: Offroad Rated

by Aries » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:15 am

JamesDowning wrote:Thanks Matt. Cool mod. What is the thread diameter on those HD TREs? Trailblazers are 16 (with the exception of the early models), I'm curious where the HDs stand.

ErikSS wrote:I can tell you, the sleeves are really good steel. They feel strong as hell.

You're hands are so strong that you can feel a difference between good steel and bad steel?

Most definitely Erik, did you see the way he lubed that rod :photo:
Aries
Trail-Blazer
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:38 am
Location: Delaware
Name: David
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Moots1288 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:00 pm

ErikSS wrote:
mikekey wrote:Cheaper than replacing them with new TRE's true. Cheaper over all, only by 27% savings if you go Fabtechs from the start.

That's true! But we don't know which system will be more reliable long term. I like both options!
Guess we will have to see.. just another suggestion for the public. I'm pretty sure I'll be seeing rocks soon and we will know how they hold up, don't know why ya need Fabtechs in Florida unless you're tractor pulling :raspberry:
Last edited by Moots1288 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Moots1288
Veteran
 
Posts: 1964
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:42 pm
Location: Long island
Name: Moots
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD
Rank: Offroad Rated

by Moots1288 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:06 pm

mikekey wrote:
Aries wrote:
Moots1288 wrote:Now some of you have seen the Fabtech and Rareparts set ups that cost well over $250.

$250.35 to be exact :raspberry:


Moots1288 wrote:MOOG Part # ES3488 x 2 - $29.99
MOOG Part # ES3609 x 2 - $43.79
Rough Country 1103 - $35
Total = $182.56 :finger:

And it's the better option for the guys that already have the HD on there rigs. :raspberry:


A savings of $67.79

Hope they don't break or bend. :cheers:
For $75 you can get the awd sleeve as well for people who don't have it so saving that 67& can help
User avatar
Moots1288
Veteran
 
Posts: 1964
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:42 pm
Location: Long island
Name: Moots
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD
Rank: Offroad Rated

by hotness » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:11 pm

Im still looking for a better one, but truckprousa.com sells them and has a 6% off coupon code 4X4C01
I will post up if I find better
If your a member of jeep forum, you can order directly from rough country over the phone and get 10% off
User avatar
hotness
Member
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:00 pm
Location: IL, Tinley Park
Name: AJ
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by ErikSS » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:51 pm

hotness wrote:Im still looking for a better one, but truckprousa.com sells them and has a 6% off coupon code 4X4C01
I will post up if I find better
If your a member of jeep forum, you can order directly from rough country over the phone and get 10% off

A better What? AWD sleeve? TRE?
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
User avatar
ErikSS
Lifer
 
Posts: 2030
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:23 pm
Location: IL, Flossmoor
Name: Erik
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip
Rank: Offroad Rated

by hotness » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:43 pm

ErikSS wrote:
hotness wrote:Im still looking for a better one, but truckprousa.com sells them and has a 6% off coupon code 4X4C01
I will post up if I find better
If your a member of jeep forum, you can order directly from rough country over the phone and get 10% off

A better What? AWD sleeve? TRE?


a better coupon code lol
User avatar
hotness
Member
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:00 pm
Location: IL, Tinley Park
Name: AJ
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:17 pm

Since I have basic HD tie rods, this is definitely a better option for me.

Thanks for the write up.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
User avatar
HARDTRAILZ
Lifer
 
Posts: 6287
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:49 am
Location: IN, Batesville
Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker
Rank: Extreme Offroader

Next

Return to Lifts / Suspension