Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Skyjacker rear coils

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by foosh » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:51 pm

The resting spring is the same with a spacer or not. The spring has the same weight and compresses the same, the only difference is the body is being pushed up the hieght of the spacer, or the axle down depending on how you look at it.
Only White Lifted TB in Jerzey on 33's :safari:

:flex dirty: Pine Barrens Wheelin!
Build Thread http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=113
foosh
Addict

Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Zero » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:41 pm

understood. thanx for the explanation jd.
Zero
Veteran

Name: Brendan
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:24 pm

Tom beat me to it. But he got it correct.

There's a lot of misunderstanding of how springs and suspension actually work... just trying to correct it one small step at a time. :cheers:
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by The Roadie » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:35 pm

I absolutely thought that springs got stiffer as they were compressed, since as an electrical engineer I got to skip that mechanical class that discussed Hooke's Law. But now I know that the spring rate is constant for most springs versus displacement, and that variable rate springs depend on some coils compressing to the point of touching. Then the effective spring rate goes up because the displacement per coil goes up when you have fewer moving coils.

The Z71 springs we're buying actually are variable rate, but with airlift bags inside mine, I don't think I ever get to the displacement necessary to collapse any of the coils. That's why the Z71 springs have the blue protection sheath on the closely-wound coils, right JD?

The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Trail X » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:39 pm

Well, keep in mind that adding a spring spacer will not compress the spring any further. The ride height of the spring will not change unless you add more weight. A spring spacer does not "simulate" adding weight in any way. Just because the spring sits more compressed inside the strut when you install it does not mean the spring remains more compressed once the vehicle weight is on it.

The Z71 springs are variable rate for exactly the reason you stated. The lower, thicker coils will barely displace/move under increased load while the smaller diameter coils will displace a lot under load. As you said, they are able to collapse onto themselves in order to transfer the load directly to the lower coils. Exactly why they have rubber on them.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing

by teebes » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:36 pm

Zero wrote:they are too stiff, and as roadie has always said, the avalanche shocks suck! keep in mind i have E load rated tires, so my ride is pretty harsh as it is. so some softer rear springs would be really nice. plus i want more lift but i dont want to use spacers to increase the spring rate anymore. i would rather have a slightly longer spring with the spring rate equal to or a little lower then what I have now to compensate for that extra height. i am a big fan of adjustable shocks so i have been looking into the rancho 9000xl 9 way adjustable shocks.

I would give different shocks a try before changing around your springs again. Change one component at a time till you find the sweet spot for the ride you're looking for.

I recently fell into some new beefier rear shocks and wow, what a difference. I'm still running the z71 springs and there is a world of difference now. I absolutely love the feel.

Let us know if you proceed w/ the 9000xl's...
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes
Vehicle Year: 2002

by Zero » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:06 pm

i def plan on changing the rear shocks but that probably wont happen till early next year when i start my next film. gotta get a bit more cash flow. pluss ill need to find someone that will want to buy my avalanche shocks to help with the cost.
Zero
Veteran

Name: Brendan
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

Previous

Return to Lifts / Suspension