Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Need help, lift prep...

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by Bigemergency » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:54 am

I am preparing to install Mark's lift with a Z71 spring set and Bilstein HD struts and shocks. The rear shocks are the same size as Z71 Tahoe shocks. I ordered them because of the problems I have seen in the threads with Z71 stock shocks. Will I be able to install the Mark's kit rear spacers and the Z71 shocks and springs together. I have been cruising threads but I haven't found what I am looking for. Help please... :scratch:
Bigemergency

Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by The Roadie » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:08 pm

The shocks that sometimes come from the Ebay vendors with Z71 springs are nothing special. Bilstein aftermarket ones are a bit underdamped for the springs, and also offer no extra articulation to go along with the lift.

What are you lifting it for - mud or rocks? Do you have a G80? Do you need more articulation?

I strongly recommend longer BDS shocks to match the springs. BDS specifies a couple of part numbers that are for straight trailvoy springs, but longer. But they helped me choose a part number meant for Suburbans that are a much better match, and also 2" longer than stock.

What was your exact question again? You said you already ordered the rear Bilsteins and you have the Tahoe Z71 shocks as well?
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by irishboy02 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:51 pm

I dont get it :scratch:

Youv got everything you need...now slap it in!
Gettin' Dirrty in Jersey :flex dirty:

2003 GMC Sierra z71
7" FTS lift
35x12.5 Toyo MT on 18x9 MotoMetal 962
irishboy02
Addict

Name: Brendan
Vehicle Year: 2005

by foosh » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:25 pm

Brendan i wouldn't be talking so much about just slapping it in if i were you... :finger:

RECAP:

You text me at 3 saying you have the back done

I get to your house at 7, and all you have is the old springs out of the back... :hissyfit:

At 9: we'll go to target afterwards

2 AM Finally Done :mechanic:
Only White Lifted TB in Jerzey on 33's :safari:

:flex dirty: Pine Barrens Wheelin!
Build Thread http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=113
foosh
Addict

by Philberto » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:38 pm

Bigemergency wrote:I am preparing to install Mark's lift with a Z71 spring set and Bilstein HD struts and shocks. The rear shocks are the same size as Z71 Tahoe shocks. I ordered them because of the problems I have seen in the threads with Z71 stock shocks. Will I be able to install the Mark's kit rear spacers and the Z71 shocks and springs together. I have been cruising threads but I haven't found what I am looking for. Help please... :scratch:

In a word, YES. For just starting out, the z71 shocks will work fine. All you need to keep in mind is that during the install you'll want to use your factory bottle jack to help install both the front part of the kit and lower the rear driveshaft enough to get everything in. You will also need 12mm ID washers (about 16 of them) to shim the lower mounts for the rear shocks. You can get these from Home Depot, and then you just add an equal amount on each side of each bolt for the lower mounts so that you get a tight fit... then just make sure to torque the bolts to spec with blue loctite. If you want help over speakerphone while installing the kit or the z71 bit of it, just let me know and I'll give you my phone number... Mark is also helpful for this, but i understand he is busier lately, so I'm perfectly willing to help. I did the exact same install you're considering. Installation-wise, there is no difference. Now another thing, do you have a good strut spring compressor and power tools? The compressor is a necessity, the power tools are almost a necessity (I didn't use them, wish I had). If you choose not to seek my help, good luck with your install.
Last edited by Philberto on Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by irishboy02 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:29 am

foosh wrote:Brendan i wouldn't be talking so much about just slapping it in if i were you... :finger:

RECAP:

You text me at 3 saying you have the back done

I get to your house at 7, and all you have is the old springs out of the back... :hissyfit:

At 9: we'll go to target afterwards

2 AM Finally Done :mechanic:

Ahh...so Philberto says use power tools ehh? Pshh you dont need them, just look at how well my 11hr install went. Only took us about 4hrs total compressing/de-comping springs...

Power tools will give you about a 3hr job, if you know what your doing. It seems more complicated than it is, but i performed this surgery 2wice and going to be another 2 times (z71 rear tomorrow and bilsteinHDs late nov) both without power tools, just take my simple advice. FIND POWER TOOLS!!! Unless you want to play bloody knuckles at 2am with your driveway :shoot:

But on a serious note. It can be done without them, just make sure you have time. Dont rush and make sure you re-tighten everything back up. Once your rolling about 100 miles later, just go over and retighten everything cause it tends to loosen up the first few miles with new stresses.
:thumright:

2003 GMC Sierra z71
7" FTS lift
irishboy02
Addict

by Philberto » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:16 am

Yeah, I didn't use power tools, and it took me 7 hours to do everything... and found out the next day that I'd installed one of my rear shocks upside down... that's what happens when you drag things into the night. I am convinced, however, that everything will work because I made the blood sacrifice to the DIY gods. And yes, torque everything up with blue loctite... will make your life much easier down the road, because I had to retorque everything a few times to get rid of the clunks and rattles until I tightened everything down. And don't forget to use your bottle jack to jam down the control arms in the front when you're putting the strut assembly back on... took me 20 minutes and two beers to figure that out. :cheers:
Philberto
Lifer

by irishboy02 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:52 am

Yeaa its a fun time. Took me 11, but thats cause me and Murphy are very, VERY good friends...one day im gonna find him :shoot:

2003 GMC Sierra z71
7" FTS lift
irishboy02
Addict

by Philberto » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:14 am

irishboy02 wrote:Yeaa its a fun time. Took me 11, but thats cause me and Murphy are very, VERY good friends...one day im gonna find him :shoot:

I was wondering where Murphy went... he used to frequent my garage when I had my old car.
Philberto
Lifer

Return to Lifts / Suspension