Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Lift question from the new girl

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:35 pm

I just went there and said I need an alignment. I did not tell them shit. Although with 33s and flipped control arms, the tech figured it out and came and talked to me, but they did it no problem.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by flap00 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:17 pm

Thanks, man. I just managed to get it done. I went to the closest one first, and they wouldn't do it, then went one town over and they were totally cool about it. Only thing was, he said he couldn't get the caster quite within specs, because he said "the tie rod end aren't long enough now that it's lifted. (MarkMC 3" susp.). He said that if he tried to fix that. it would throw the toe way out. Is there a common fix or tweak for this that you guys commonly do that I'm missing?
flap00
Cruiser

Name: Flap
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by The Roadie » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:26 pm

Typically they do the camber and caster first, because those involve loosening the lower control arm bolts. Once those are in spec, THEN the toe-in and steering wheel centering is the last thing done. I've never heard of anybody running out of thread length on the outer tie rod end.

It *can* be an iterative process, since all three adjustments interact and it may have been taking a lot longer than he anticipated. But that's no excuse for an ethical shop to short-cut the process and give up. We can't tell for sure if he was lying about the thread length, but personally, I've never once heard about this and I read a LOT of posts (like almost 100% of them).

That said, can you post the after-adjustment measurement sheet or the numbers? Caster is the least important of all the items, because its biggest usefulness is to self-center the tires after a turn. It won't cause excess tire wear like the other two things.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by flap00 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:30 pm

Ah, well maybe he was just being impatient then...who knows. He actually said the thread length would need to be about 2" to 3" longer for it to work. I was a little surprised at that comment. All I could do was to tell him to use his best judgement. The manager told me that the guy has been doing alignments for over 20 years....That could be a good thing, OR a bad thing...haha.
At any rate, here's the measurement sheet. Thanks for taking a look...appreciate it.
Attachments
TB_Alignment_8-13-13__.jpg
flap00
Cruiser

by The Roadie » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:03 am

flap00 wrote:He actually said the thread length would need to be about 2" to 3" longer for it to work.
Inconceivable.

The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by flap00 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:56 pm

Exactly. So, how do these numbers look? Should I be going back soon, or do you think the tire wear and handling will be ok for a while?
flap00
Cruiser

by v7guy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:41 am

the alignment looks fine to me, I'd like to see the caster a little closer together, but I seriously doubt you'll see any durability/driveability issues or of it
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
DriveTrain: 4WD

by flap00 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:05 pm

Cool...thanks, man. that's what they told me, but wanted that second opinion. Seems to drive fine...better than before the lift and tires actually. :)
flap00
Cruiser

by Opeth » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:05 pm

I had to play with different firestones too, found one with a jeep fanatic as their master tech. My camber numbers are near perfect but on the negative side. The tech pushed my LCA'S all the way out and backed the tie rods out about 1/2-3/4" on either side. Still over an inch inside of threads for the tie rods to grab onto. Several thousand miles on my truck being lifted and no issues.

You've gotta tell these shops exactly what needs to be done in order to achieve the right specs.
Opeth
Addict

Name: Cody
DriveTrain: 4WD

by flap00 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:55 pm

Hey all. I just got back from a new alignment at Firestone (2 1/2 years after the other in this thread above). I did new upper ball joints, lower control arms, & sway bar end links yesterday, so had to bring it back in to re-align. Would you guys please tell me how these numbers look? Thanks! :lurk:
Attachments
20160211_164600.jpg
flap00
Cruiser

by Berettaspeed » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:30 pm

I like my camber to be almost the same. and left caster numbers lower to fight road crown. But over all looks decent.

You may get drifting to the right depending on the road. but overall good.
Berettaspeed
Cruiser

Name: bob
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by flap00 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:08 pm

Thanks for the comment, man. I think I may have to go back there soon no matter what (Ihave the lifetime alignment with them...Firestone.). My steering wheel is slightly turned to right when going perfectly straight, and I hear a little clunk occasionally too.
flap00
Cruiser

Previous

Return to Lifts / Suspension