Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Front Upper Shock Bushing Failures

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by Trail X » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:26 pm

Mine are finally starting to go after nearly 5 years.

The indicator for me was that I get a sound like a small bell being rung once whenever I top out now.

It seems to be coming from the fact that the top washer has been beaten up now so that it looks upside down.

After 5 years though, I think I'll just replace it with more BDS parts. It will be interesting to see if they survive as long - if they don't last as long, it would indicate that there was some sort of bushing change at BDS at some point.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by TBYODA » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:48 pm

I have been following this post with great interest and have some food for thought. :lurk:
Maybe this has been over looked maybe not (have not seen it discussed anywhere so far) but one thing I see different between the BDS front upper mount and Mark's 3" front mount is the third bolt on the outside of the strut mount. It seems like more brushing failures are with Mark's 3”, which do not utilize that extra outside bolt. As Jason stated there is a lot of side load as you go up in lift. Based on the failures my guess this side load is towards the inside. Now could having three bolts holding down the mount counter act that side load somewhat? I am no Mech Eng but I am thinking that only having two bolts would not limit the possible movement in the y plane as the strut travels. X would be front to back of TB, y is side to side and Z would be up/down. Without the third bolt, maybe there is just enough movement over time to cause this type of failure. In addition, does Mark’s front mount have the sleeve between the bushings? It kind looks like it does from his picture on his site but since I have not seen them first hand it is hard to tell. Mark needs to send me a prototype lift with a third bolt for testing for the benefit of the community. :mrgreen: :lol:

Edit: I could be off in orbit with this. ;)

Mikekey when you installed your BDS did you use that bolt? I would think so but just asking because I have not see any picture of it in any post. BTW, a few pictures in your build thread are missing or broken link... :facepalm:
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by navigator » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:20 am

I think the BDS stock photo shows 3 bolts but from what I recall, I don't think the actual lifts have 3 bolts.

I have the Rough Country lift (but only wheel mildly) but have had no bushing issues as of yet. I don't recall anyone having a bushing issue with the RC lift. If anyone has had that kind of issue it would be Donny.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD

by TBYODA » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:57 am

navigator wrote:I think the BDS stock photo shows 3 bolts but from what I recall, I don't think the actual lifts have 3 bolts.

Hmm. Would be interesting if James uses the bolt and other do not.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

TBYODA

by JorDaneeKey » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:31 am

I specifically remember installing all 3 nuts on the bolts to the BDS mounts. It was a pain as the third was harder to access without the body lift, but we used all 3.
As told by the other half: Build Thread
JorDaneeKey
Addict

Name: JorDanee
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:28 pm

I had all three until more recently, when I took it out because it's pretty useless.

I'm pretty sure though, that it isn't the cause of the failures. Hasn't Mark seen bushing failures too?
Trail X
Founder

by mikekey » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:16 pm

JamesDowning wrote:I had all three until more recently, when I took it out because it's pretty useless.

I'm pretty sure though, that it isn't the cause of the failures. Hasn't Mark seen bushing failures too?

PAGE 2 :search: :finger:

Jblazin82 wrote:Heres what happened to me with Marks 3" 89s and No armor. Bushing gone and spacer damaged. having it repaired locally and should be back in business by next weekend.

Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike

by drburke » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:23 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Hasn't Mark seen bushing failures too?

:read: From the first post:

steveroche wrote:
ADMIN NOTE:
This discussion has come up before in random threads. This will become the definitive thread on the failure of aftermarket lift upper shock bushings.

I suppose this should probably be replaced soon... :wallbash: :wallbash:

steveroche wrote:that is the Markmc 3in kit, It has all the components that normally come with it.

:poke: ;)
drburke
Off-Roader

Name: Burke
Vehicle Year: 2004

by Trail X » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:57 pm

Hm, I guess those posts are directed my way eh. :facepalm:
I read Robert's post backwards, thinking that he was implying Mark's lift had less failures.

I still don't think the bolts have much of anything to do with it. If mark's fail more, then it's probably due to the 1/2" of extra lift, which puts the strut 1/3" closer to topping out, assuming that the max downward articulation is set to the same location on both lifts.
Trail X
Founder

by v7guy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:33 am

well, this shit don't look right

build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by mikekey » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:32 am

Dang, that does not look fun.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

by TBYODA » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:45 pm

Hey I got question, so do you think that all these failure are because most of you that have failures are using 88 or 89 springs which are putting to much compression / pressure on the upper mount.
Sorry my lame question just trying to understand behind the computer screen with out any real experience.

TBYODA

by The Roadie » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:47 pm

The failure doesn't happen on compression. We have a bump stop to reduce the shock stress. But on EXTENSION with stiff springs AND heavy oversized tires and wheels, that's where we have the problems. The mount's not designed for that. It's also the mechanism that broke my Icon coilovers. We have no bump stop for extension.

Limiting straps are the right countermeasure.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by mikekey » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:52 pm

TBYODA wrote:Hey I got question, so do you think that all these failure are because most of you that have failures are using 88 or 89 springs which are putting to much compression / pressure on the upper mount.
Sorry my lame question just trying to understand behind the computer screen with out any real experience.

I can only offer you my personal experience. I was running stock springs, and almost stock tires 30.5 Grabbers. I don't think I was wheeling too hard, but maybe I was. We experienced the bushing failure while on an ORV trail in Capitol Reef. I do believe that v7guy (Jason) mentioned that the problem seems to be related to the small sized washer. The top washer on my strut literally sheered the bushing. With no spare bushings, by the time we got back to FL, the bushing was completely obliterated.
mikekey
Lifer

by v7guy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:05 pm

Yeah, the quick and dirty explanation ( it's covered a lot better in the previous pages) is like Bill and Mike said, the small washer destroys the bushing by cutting it, a larger washer quickly smashes into the strut bucket when there's just a smidge of wear, so it doesn't really work either... I bent a shock rod like that. In addition there's no internal bump stop, so on extension the internal valves slam into the shock body. In my case it ripped the threads on the shock rod internally letting the whole assembly come apart..

I'm thinking the solution might, maybe, possibly be a solid bearing mount in marks spacer (I got some parts on the way) With the washers and a stupid heavy bumper I don't appear to be having any more topping out issues. The only real problem seems to be the bushing part for me.

Or you could just get radflos and be done with it.
build thread

v7guy

by Trail X » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:22 pm

Jason, where's the top washer? I want to see what's left of it. Did the top washer just shear? I'd be amazed if it did.

Eta - From your pics it appears the lower washer was forgotten... are you sure the top wasn't also forgotten??
Trail X
Founder

by TBYODA » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:07 pm

Thanks for expiation I have been trying my best to follow along. Have not torn into SUV yet, and sometimes hard to get everything straight in my head on these threads. I figure if i read enough come next spring (bonus time :) ) I will have good plan.
Last edited by TBYODA on Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

TBYODA

by v7guy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:16 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Jason, where's the top washer? I want to see what's left of it. Did the top washer just shear? I'd be amazed if it did.

Eta - From your pics it appears the lower washer was forgotten... are you sure the top wasn't also forgotten??

The washers were gone, I have no idea where they went. I suppose it's possible they were forgotten. That would explain the failure. The washer on the drivers side is pounded pretty good but is still there. Now that you mention it I just put it back together without a washer. I'm pretty irritated right now.
build thread

v7guy

by Trail X » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:15 pm

I bet that was the root. Don't feel bad, I've seen a couple others do that through the years. It generally lasts less than a week when they do.
Trail X
Founder

by boog2006 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:31 pm

Yep...I did that

Boog2006
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln
Boog2006 Build Thread
boog2006
Addict

Name: Brent
Vehicle Year: 2006

PreviousNext

Return to Lifts / Suspension