Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Front Upper Shock Bushing Failures

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by KE7WOX » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:32 am

The Roadie wrote:
KE7WOX wrote:I got off the phone with the nearest BDS distributor a few hours ago, I should have replacement bushings, sleeves and washers by next Tuesday for $19.
Another respectful treatment by the "No Fine Print Warranty" management at BDS. :finger:

Indeed. I just hope that my spacer has no damage and if it does, that they do honor the "Small fine print warranty". At least I don't have to pay for shipping since it's going to the distributor (which is, however, in Tempe).
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Name: Felipe G
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by djthumper » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:35 am

Hell you should have paid the shipping for that trip!
djthumper

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2006

by mikekey » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:08 am

KE7WOX wrote:
The Roadie wrote:
KE7WOX wrote:I got off the phone with the nearest BDS distributor a few hours ago, I should have replacement bushings, sleeves and washers by next Tuesday for $19.
Another respectful treatment by the "No Fine Print Warranty" management at BDS. :finger:

Indeed. I just hope that my spacer has no damage and if it does, that they do honor the "Small fine print warranty". At least I don't have to pay for shipping since it's going to the distributor (which is, however, in Tempe).

They wouldn't replace my spacer. Said its my own fault.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by bartonmd » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:12 am

mikekey wrote:They wouldn't replace my spacer. Said its my own fault.

BDS is sounding more and more like the "No Fine Print Warranty" company.

Mike
bartonmd

Vehicle Year: 2007

by Gordinho80 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:17 am

They replaced my spacer when I noticed the bolt had broken its weld. When asked if they would replace the other side as a precaution, they said no. When the bushing went, I had to cover the cost.
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by mikekey » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:25 am

This is my fault.

JamesDowning wrote:I don't see a lip OD on this listing, but it looks like this could potentially work for the BDS lift. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-9-8145G/ $6.95

Shock Bushing Outside Diameter (in): 1.875 in.
Shock Bushing Inside Diameter (in): 0.563 in.
Bushing Length (in): 0.813 in.
Sold as a set of 4.

Lip looks chamfered though, instead of being at 90 degrees.

We bought the bushing from Summit, and I can confirm they work. Screw sending $19.00 to BDS. I happily spent my money with SummitRacing.

We came up with a temporary fix, it survived TECORE and is still holding. I should hold me over until I purchase the radflo's.

Last edited by mikekey on Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

by KE7WOX » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:53 pm

djthumper wrote:Hell you should have paid the shipping for that trip!

I should have, but I have a few things to take care of in the area, so I'm not driving down there just for the parts.

mikekey wrote:
We bought the bushing from Summit, and I can confirm they work. Screw sending $19.00 to BDS. I happily spent my money with SummitRacing.

We came up with a temporary fix, it survived TECORE and is still holding. I should hold me over until I purchase the radflo's.

Unfortunately I already had the dealer order them, so I don't want to have them cancel the order (Not the dealer's fault, and not their fault that BDS will not sell directly to the public). I will keep this in mind in case a bushing fails again. What did you machine the temporary fix out of? I do like the idea of having a plan B just in case the spacer has damage.
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Name: Felipe G

by mikekey » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:55 pm

KE7WOX wrote: Unfortunately I already had the dealer order them, so I don't want to have them cancel the order (Not the dealer's fault, and not their fault that BDS will not sell directly to the public). I will keep this in mind in case a bushing fails again. What did you machine the temporary fix out of? I do like the idea of having a plan B just in case the spacer has damage.

Random piece of steel tubing that just luckily enough happened to be the correct size.
mikekey
Lifer

by Trail X » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:15 pm

Mr. Key, do you have a picture of the failed bushing as installed, when you found it? I'd just like to see it... Its interesting that only half of it got chewed up.

mikekey wrote:Image

Maybe I'm just not understanding the bushing orientation?
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by mikekey » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:39 pm

No, I don't, but maybe my wife does on her phone. Have to search for it.
mikekey
Lifer

by The Roadie » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:11 am

mikekey wrote:They wouldn't replace my spacer. Said its my own fault.
Yah, I lost all respect for them after years of talking them up, when they tried to tell me I wheeled it too hard. Compared to their normal pavement princess customers? :finger: There's No Fine Print unless you USE the lift, then all bets are off? :finger:
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by blacksheep » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:56 pm

Would some variation of this arrangement work? Its in the rear of a newer Toyota truck.
blacksheep
Cruiser

Name: Steve
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by Trail X » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:49 am

It's not that different than what we have today. Seems the biggest difference is that they seem to have an internal washer for each side of the bushing. The other notable difference is that their washers are larger in OD than their bushing.
Trail X
Founder

by blacksheep » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:50 am

JamesDowning wrote:It's not that different than what we have today. Seems the biggest difference is that they seem to have an internal washer for each side of the bushing. The other notable difference is that their washers are larger in OD than their bushing.

I don't have this type of lift so just trying to go off what Im reading but isn't the issue with the current system for those lifts the top washer cutting into the bushing and the bushing controlling the movement in the mount? I was thinking that this rear shock would see more lateral movement than a front TB strut. It looked like the washers and bushings should be close to the same size and easily obtained. Its defiantly tough enough, that's one of our work trucks with 250k on it.
blacksheep
Cruiser

Name: Steve

by Trail X » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:56 am

You're touching on a fix we discussed a while back - simply getting larger exterior washers. I'm not sure if that ever went anywhere though.
Trail X
Founder

by Jblazin82 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:12 am

I found my top washer was cutting into the bushing because over tighting. As soon as I put the correct bushing in the center (marks lift 1.5" spacer) I fixed my problem. The bushing didn't mushroom out past the top washer and its doing great.
Jblazin82

Name: Joe

by drburke » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:54 pm

Did we ever fully confirm that the oversized washer will solve the bushing from deteriorating? When my struts are apart, I'm gonna take whatever precaution I can to ensure any likelihood of failure is minimal.
drburke
Off-Roader

Name: Burke

by v7guy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:33 pm

I used a larger washer on the top this time and 6 washers under the mount. The bushings have only lasted a few months. The washer is just starting to touch the body and it appears the bushing has already worn through. I would guess that the fundamental problem is the angle our shock is at. It naturally wants to saw through the bushing and loads it up on the inside. I'm gonna try those poly pieces next.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by drburke » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:43 am

I suppose my next question would be, how often have you wheeled, or otherwise topped out, in the past few months since installation? I'm curious on mine's condition as I've been lifted for two months now and I've topped out enough times to be considerably concerned.

Either way, it seems that the poly might be the best preventative maintenance to do while it's apart. I'll have to go down to Summit before I install the springs.
drburke
Off-Roader

Name: Burke

by v7guy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:09 am

well, I broke one shock internally and bent the other at the last TECORE. They were rebuilt a couple weeks after I got back. I've been off-road twice since then. I haven't noticed any topping out since the shocks were replaced, but that's with the washers installed.
It took more than 6 months of topping out every day and then a significant "road repair" impact before it broke.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

PreviousNext

Return to Lifts / Suspension