Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

BDS = Zone

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by mikek3363 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:47 pm

So i was just informed by a guy at rough country that Zone offroad that makes the cheaper body lift is owned by BDS

has any one else heard this?
mikek3363
Cruiser

Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:49 pm

It's our understanding that BDS sold their entire body lift business to Zone. BDS wanted to focus on functional (suspension) lifts.

So BDS will soon be exiting from body lifts altogether.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by mikek3363 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:02 pm

weird guess rough country was missinformed or they know more than we do
mikek3363
Cruiser

by Gordinho80 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:04 pm

BDS sold the kit (design)... Zone may have tweaked things slightly... but the concept is still BDS's.
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by The Roadie » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:50 pm

I've talked at length to engineering/marketing folks at both places. They have the same PARENT company, Sport Truck USA. BDS is getting back to its core competency of suspension lifts.

Zone's mission was to do direct shipping of more mature products (not just body lifts) that were getting sold to price-conscious consumers who were looking for a discount. BDS wants to preserve their no-discount image, even though they have some rogue distributors selling stuff on Ebay.

BDS transferred all body lift inventory to Zone, who is selling at a discount. I just put one on, and it ROCKS!!

I really don't have a need or a good feeling about needing Mark's 3" kit. Too tall.

Oh, Zone also has some nice builder parts, like:
http://zoneoffroad.com/product-acc?ki=90
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:48 pm

The Roadie wrote:I've talked at length to engineering/marketing folks at both places. They have the same PARENT company, Sport Truck USA. BDS is getting back to its core competency of suspension lifts.

Zone's mission was to do direct shipping of more mature products (not just body lifts) that were getting sold to price-conscious consumers who were looking for a discount. BDS wants to preserve their no-discount image, even though they have some rogue distributors selling stuff on Ebay.

BDS transferred all body lift inventory to Zone, who is selling at a discount. I just put one on, and it ROCKS!!

I really don't have a need or a good feeling about needing Mark's 3" kit. Too tall.

Oh, Zone also has some nice builder parts, like:
http://zoneoffroad.com/product-acc?ki=90

Marks 3" brackets for the rear bumper, the one that matters, I just got to check out before he releases them are actually as good or better quality than the Zone ones i recieved. Blocks and bolts are just basics you can nearly swap between kits. Well the bolts all need to be the right length and thread, but the blocks are just that...blocks. I have lost and swapped blocks from fits several times over the years.

Plus i needed the 3 inch to give me the clearance at flex for what i run, the 2 inch wasnt enough.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by The Roadie » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:17 am

I worry about those taller brackets if you use them for towing, because they weren't analyzed using FEA as BDS said they did for their 2" ones. If no towing, then no problem, unless you're using a winch that could apply 9000 pounds force in the rear receiver like I do. Anyway, I worry.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by MrSmithsTB » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:52 am

I may end up with his kit, but I may not. I don't really find the 3" necessary. I'd rather cut body away than add parts that increase the number of things that can fail. I'd be great with him offering a 2" kit. But I'll give business the Zone any day, nobody else minds. If I end up with Marks kit, I'll take plenty of pictures for everyone to scrutinize :poke:
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by HARDTRAILZ » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:10 am

So far I have put a few thousand lbs behind the TB, stock, Zone, Marks 1st prototypes that needed modded and have not noticed any difference between any of them. I can see these new brakets are a bit thicker and have cleaner welds so i will continue the same way. I guess when I am stuck and getting extracticed from the rear, I will find out if they are strong enough. I needed the height and couldn't get it anywhere else, so it is what it is. I supported Zone/BDS for the 2 inch and Mark for investing the time, effort and cash to try and give us another option with the 3 inch.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle

Return to Lifts / Suspension