Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Prerunner TB?

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by dalute84 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:24 pm

Has anyone on here gone prerunner style suspension for their trailblazer? I have searched my local custom shops and all have basically told me it is impossible. I would like to lift it approx. 5" front and 4" rear but believe I will need longer control arms and such to acheive my goal. If you have done this could you please send me a link with some info? I am not completely new to lifted trucks but the prerunner style is new to me so any info is greatly appreiciated.

Thank you in advance for any and all help.
dalute84

Name: Derek A. Lute
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by The Roadie » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:34 pm

Nobody ever has done that. I predict nobody ever will. We're too heavy, and a 2wd would be the only design without the evil front differential design.

Have you spent any time looking at your current setup?

Welcome, btw!
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by dalute84 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:22 pm

Yes I have spent a lot of time looking at it. I knew it was something that would be very difficult. I did figure the weight would be an issue but just figured I wouldnt be doing any big jumping. I was hoping for a challenge and something different but I am not any master mechanic or fabricator so I suppose I will have to settle just lifting and no long travel. I do need to start replacing the front end as my bushing are getting very worn. Any suggestions as to which direction to go? IFS is kinda new to me and I am gathering the TB front end is rather "special".

Also thank you I am learning a lot already from this site.
(never been on a car forum before)
dalute84

by Trail X » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:05 am

If you're willing to sink some coin into it, instead of going with a prerunner style, do a solid axle swap. It's pretty much the holy grail of lifting this truck. If you are good at fabricating - or find a place that is, a long arm (front and rear) SAS would be pretty good for high speed whoop-de-doops, and should handle the weight better than a fully custom long arm job. It just might be a little more uncomfortable on the highway.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by The Roadie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:28 am

The Toyota "Prerunner" optioned Tacoma is 2WD, IIRC. The whole idea of "prerunning" is to allow Baja race teams to have someone go over the course in a cheaper vehicle before the real race is run with the 1/2 million $ 4WD trucks with the 24" travel IFS. Only way you get 12-16" travel in a cheap truck for prerunning is not have a front diff and CV shafts.

So if you already have places to go to suit the prerunner suspension style - I'd say go out there and watch the other trucks and see if a modified GMT360 could even do what they're doing. I just never seem to see prerunner-modified Explorers, Yukons, etc. I think it might be a truck without a mission.
The Roadie
Founder

by Trail X » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:48 pm

The Roadie wrote:So if you already have places to go to suit the prerunner suspension style - I'd say go out there and watch the other trucks and see if a modified GMT360 could even do what they're doing. I just never seem to see prerunner-modified Explorers, Yukons, etc. I think it might be a truck without a mission.

Curious why you think the TB platform is any worse than a toyota for this sort of driving? I think they key to any good prerunner is plenty of custom suspension work, so that really only leaves our body and frame to take issue with.

I'd think that a SUV with more even weight distribution could potentially be better for prerunning... but that's just the engineer in me talking - not experience.
Trail X
Founder

by dalute84 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:10 pm

The Roadie wrote:
So if you already have places to go to suit the prerunner suspension style - I'd say go out there and watch the other trucks and see if a modified GMT360 could even do what they're doing. I just never seem to see prerunner-modified Explorers, Yukons, etc. I think it might be a truck without a mission.

There a group of guys that live by me that 2 have prerunner 4WD Eplorers and 1 with an Explorer sport track also 4WD there is also a girl who drives a Honda Pilot prerunner. I have only spoke to them very little bits at stop lights guess next time I will find out where they go and get more info.
dalute84

by v7guy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:36 pm

There was talk about this on the board a couple years ago when dodge got the 930 cv axle made. I suppose you could get more lift if someone took the inner cv and made the 930 fit. Would still have to deal with the upper ball joint. But by the time you get a 930 inner to fit using our spline count the upper arm would be no big deal.

Kinda getting into the territory of just dropping the front diff and using something stronger... or a SAS.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by The Roadie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:35 am

JamesDowning wrote:Curious why you think the TB platform is any worse than a toyota for this sort of driving?
Tacoma is about 3200 lbs curb weight. Trailblazer 4500 IIRC.
The Roadie
Founder

by HARDTRAILZ » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:53 am

Rangers and explorers have pretty good aftermarket support as prerinners. Offroad magazine seems to favor prerunner builds so you may look up there online stuff
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by That1Guy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:11 am

The Roadie wrote:The Toyota "Prerunner" optioned Tacoma is 2WD, IIRC. The whole idea of "prerunning" is to allow Baja race teams to have someone go over the course in a cheaper vehicle before the real race is run with the 1/2 million $ 4WD trucks with the 24" travel IFS. Only way you get 12-16" travel in a cheap truck for prerunning is not have a front diff and CV shafts.

Boom

Pre runner style trucks are not something very many people on this site are into. I think it could be done, but would be pretty tough and quite expensive and more than likely would not be able to keep 4wd. Me being already 2wd, this is something I have and am interested in looking into down the line if I have the means.
04 T.B. with McMeister lift, airraid CAI, flowmaster 40 series, Bridgestone Dueler apt 4's, and a G-80!

Previously known as NickNorie
That1Guy
Addict

Name: Nick
Vehicle Year: Other
DriveTrain: 2WD w/ G80

by JCrayton99 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:30 pm

There was one made that I saw. I think the best bet would be a 2wd with the G80. And you would still have to build a whole new front suspension. I think it would be pretty coll looking.
JCrayton99
Trail-Blazer

Name: John Crayton

by fishsticks » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:43 pm

JCrayton99 wrote:There was one made that I saw. I think the best bet would be a 2wd with the G80. And you would still have to build a whole new front suspension. I think it would be pretty coll looking.

G80s won't lock up above 20mph. Plus they are terrible for any sort of high-shock application.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by Mudwheelin » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:53 pm

If you have the cash to go crazy with this, I say do it! It would look bad ass. Like you said, "I'm not looking to do any big jumping". So let's pull together and figure out a way to do it rather then saying it can't be done. After all, isn't that why were all here to help each other out?
Markmc 2.5 lift, 2"Markmc body lift. Markmc 1.5 spacers, 33" Dynapro MT's, exhaust, EMT cams, CAI, Chipped, Light Bar. T.L. Guards
Build Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2349
Mudwheelin
Trail-Blazer

Name: Christian
Vehicle Year: 2007

by JCrayton99 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:18 am

Things I dont know by not having one. :slap: But you would need a differential with a G80 to but in a different locker correct? And it has to be a 8.6" because no one makes another locker for the 8"?
JCrayton99
Trail-Blazer

by Trail X » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:23 am

If you want to get an aftermarket locker, I believe the conclusion is to get an open 8.6" rear end. The G80 only unnecessarily complicates things.
Trail X
Founder

by DirtyBacon04 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:00 am

:Iagree:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but if you tried to swap a 8.6 w/ g80 for a LR, then you would have to redo the backlash. As opposed to using an 8.6 open, you can just drop the LR in the carrier in 10 min and be done with it.
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael

by fishsticks » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:17 pm

A LockRight just plain won't fit into a G80 carrier. Different internal widths, not to mention the G80 carrier walls are VERY thin compared to the open carrier.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by JCrayton99 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:25 pm

Glad I verified this now instead of later.
JCrayton99
Trail-Blazer

by Trailblazin Ahead » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:17 pm

Anybody remember Larry Ragland. Oh prerunner Trailblazer. Baja winner in his Trailblazer
Attachments
5126QQ9213L._SX342_.jpg
5126QQ9213L._SX342_.jpg (41.52 KiB) Viewed 16508 times
vendor.2015.bfgoodrich.racer_.larry-ragland.jpg
larry-ragland-bfgoodrich-mad-media-007.jpg
SMELLS LIKE HARD WORK AND DEDICATION
Trailblazin Ahead

Name: Tyler

Next