Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

body lift vs suspension lift

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by navigator » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:41 am

at some point I would like to lift my TB 2-3 inches.
That being said I always thought about doing the suspension/spacer lift because it seemed a good bit cheaper and less involved.
As I look further into it by the time you add longer rear shocks etc it really isn't that much difference in the cost. Looking at the installation instructions for the body lift that doesn't seem a huge amount harder than the suspension lift.

So let's throw cost and installation difficulty out the window

From a strict usability stand point is one design better in general? It would seem that the odd ball joint angle would lead to them wearing out faster. There also seems to be more issues with rear shocks among the suspension lifted crowd.

if you have 2 inches of spacers vs body lift does one perform any better, better flex etc than the other? I would likely never use either to their full capability but I just wonder about things like this from time to time.

One other thought, with the body lift I know there is a steering shaft extension, is there something like that for the shifter? It would seem that the shifter would sit lower in the console or is there some play in how that is attached?
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:21 am

Suspension lift gives you more ground clearance under the frame, and allows you to fit bigger tires.

Body lift does not affect your under-frame clearance, but allows you to fit bigger tires.

So with suspension and bigger tires, you gain more under-frame clearance. If that isn't important to you, go with a body lift.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by The Roadie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:53 am

The shifter is not mounted to the transmission, so that's not an issue. The cables will move.

And if appearance means a lot to you (be polite, Roadie) ...... body lifts expose a lot of dumb-looking frame rail on the side. But the center of gravity is raised less with a body lift than the equivalent suspension lift.

A body lift also wins you a cool increase in access ease to change the back plugs.

For offroad ground clearance, you win with BOTH kinds of lifts when you fit larger tires, but only the suspension lift gives you additional frame to ground clearance compared to the body lift.

Offroaders are always looking for the tell-tale exposed frame rail to figure out which kind of lift you have, and the body lift seems to get a lot less respect for the reason above. For many vehicles, a body lift is also a LOT cheaper and easier to put in (not our platform) and that contributes to the mockery because it's what cheap kids aim for first.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:01 pm

A body lift will leave the frame slightly closer to the ground but allows for better suspension travel than our spacer suspension lift. Our style susp lift limits travel in one direction to gain the lift.

Personally I think both are necessary for really wheeling one of these, but alot get by with just suspension.

Offroaders look for susp vs body because typical suspension lifts increase travel and articulation...however ours doesn't. In fact an educated wheeler realizes that our suspension lift is laughed at by most offroaders since it is really more of a leveling style kit for mallrats.

I personally would do the body only if I had to choose. Lower cog and with 3 inches you get good tire clearance to add a bigger tire than susp alone so some of the ground clearance is regained. You also keep the suspension fully cycling has it was intended. You can still unhook your sway bars for some flex too.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle

by Trail X » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:13 pm

So it seems the deciding factor is if you have a G80 or not. If you have a locker, articulation is less important because you can get traction with one tire.

If you don't have a G80 and don't want the added 2" of frame clearance (doesn't sound like a lot, but I think it's critical on these vehicles), go with a body lift.

I'm not sure why the center of gravity is becoming a central topic here... our trucks have very low COGs as is. The other factor that we're forgetting is that suspension lifts favorably change the IFS geometry to yield less body roll than a stock vehicle.
Trail X
Founder

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:20 pm

JamesDowning wrote:So it seems the deciding factor is if you have a G80 or not. If you have a locker, articulation is less important because you can get traction with one tire.

Our suspension lift creates different dynamics which changes front articulation characteristics but the rear travel can be increased with or without a spacer lift since the shocks are the limiting factor. So g80 doesn't matter since suspension articulation is not affected by a basic suspension lift.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by navigator » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:22 pm

thanks folks, in my mind I was thinking old school
The lowest part is the rear diff, I expect it is the same even with ours.
To raise the rear diff you need larger tires.
In order to run larger tires you need a lift of some sort and spacers in our case.

Coming from a jeep(XJ) world you can't really do body lifts so suspension is all there is.

I appreciate all the good view points from everyone.
The fact with the body lift you can reach that rear spark plug easier is a gem. That thing is a real pain.
Sounds like for me who just wants a little taller tire for hunting/fishing I could go either route. For the more extreme folks they are likely to do both anyway.

Thanks again everyone.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by navigator » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:25 pm

Roadie, on the seeing more frame rail/appearance comment, I see a truck as a tool, while I want to take care of it sometimes you might need to use it as a hammer :-)
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:35 pm

You can mount sliders higher w a body lift
HARDTRAILZ

by bartonmd » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:03 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:
JamesDowning wrote:So it seems the deciding factor is if you have a G80 or not. If you have a locker, articulation is less important because you can get traction with one tire.

Our suspension lift creates different dynamics which changes front articulation characteristics but the rear travel can be increased with or without a spacer lift since the shocks are the limiting factor. So g80 doesn't matter since suspension articulation is not affected by a basic suspension lift.

I disagree... The range of motion is basically the same on the front (without a spring), but since you're preloading the springs more, it takes a lot more force to get the upper part of suspension travel (force/weight we don't have)... Because of this, we get less articulation in the front, or at the very least, less even weight distribution on articulation.

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

I agree a suspension lift creates a worse suspension in the front. That is why I would do a body lift and trimming to get the ground clearance w larger tires. Stiffening our front suspension as our style kit does is a negative. But also a necessary evil for the height and clearance I want. That's why I want a sas with a real...flexible...suspension setup with increased travel. Our front suspension setup is really a joke for hardcore offroad, but we all seem to be making the best out of it.
HARDTRAILZ

by bartonmd » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:32 pm

FWIW, if there's an articulation issue in the front, it will create one in the rear, given a set limit on rear articulation (our shock length and travel)

ETA: or rather, the rear will not be able to make up for the front

Mike
Last edited by bartonmd on Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bartonmd

by Trail X » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:33 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:You can mount sliders higher w a body lift

It'd be the same height from the ground as with a suspension lift.
Trail X
Founder

by fishsticks » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:53 pm

bartonmd wrote:FWIW, if there's an articulation issue in the front, it will create one in the rear, given a set limit on rear articulation (our shock length and travel)

Mike

The rear is basically making up for the front in all cases. Keeping the hood line level on an obstacle is nearly impossible, carrying a front tire over is common.

I know there are a few folks who aren't convinced we need it... But I've had the chance to redo obstacles that I'd done before locking the front. The difference is pretty amazing. The reason it makes such a difference is our total lack of front articulation.

Back on topic. If I had it to do over again, I think I might have started with the body lift. I'd have ended up right back where I am now eventually.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by bartonmd » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:07 pm

fishsticks wrote:
bartonmd wrote:FWIW, if there's an articulation issue in the front, it will create one in the rear, given a set limit on rear articulation (our shock length and travel)

Mike

The rear is basically making up for the front in all cases. Keeping the hood line level on an obstacle is nearly impossible, carrying a front tire over is common.

I know there are a few folks who aren't convinced we need it... But I've had the chance to redo obstacles that I'd done before locking the front. The difference is pretty amazing. The reason it makes such a difference is our total lack of front articulation.

Back on topic. If I had it to do over again, I think I might have started with the body lift. I'd have ended up right back where I am now eventually.

Exactly... Hanging out at the top of the travel on the front makes the rear have to make up for more, though...

I do agree that a front locker would be nice, but I've got 20k miles until that even starts to be an option, due to the 100k powertrain warranty...

Mike
bartonmd

by navigator » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:20 am

I originally thought for my needs that it really wouldn't matter if I chose a body lift over a suspension lift.
After my recent trip to the beach and bottoming out on a few ruts this leads me to believe that lifting the frame +2 inches with the suspension lift would help me more than the body lift.
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:37 am

Can't really argue, but why not both. Helps avoid trimming and allows for larger tires later w trimming...
HARDTRAILZ

by navigator » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:18 pm

right now it is our nicest car and if I do both and run much bigger tires then I have to figure out a new location for the spare and with 3.42 gears much bigger tires would likely suck.
I think I might go to a 265/75/16 but that is about as large as I would go.
I think I can do that with the suspension lift and wheel spacers and be ok.

That also might not suck too bad on 3.42 gears.
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by Blackout » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:20 pm

Sounds pretty much like my current setup, sans tires. (Tires are about to be ordered)
Blackout
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brian
Vehicle Year: 2004

by djthumper » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:41 pm

I can relate to the tire issue. I just did my lift last week and trying to figure the tire situation. I too only have 3.42s and know that I need the torque for some of the places that I travel to hauling a trailer.
djthumper

Name: Larry

Next

Return to Lifts / Suspension