Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Factory Spring Part Numbers & Associated Lift

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by HARDTRAILZ » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:16 pm

The 88s dont ride any stiffer than the z71 and spacer on the rear. Big bumps have the same effect front and back now.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Rob93 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:21 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:The 88s dont ride any stiffer than the z71 and spacer on the rear. Big bumps have the same effect front and back now.

Do you have the stock rear shocks?
Rob93
Trail-Blazer

Name: Rob
DriveTrain: 2WD

by HARDTRAILZ » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:31 pm

Rob93 wrote:
HARDTRAILZ wrote:The 88s dont ride any stiffer than the z71 and spacer on the rear. Big bumps have the same effect front and back now.

Do you have the stock rear shocks?

No. BDS.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by MrSmithsTB » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:00 pm

Now that everything has had the time to settle, how does the truck sit with the shim still in? How much of a factor do you think the bumper plays in your front ride height?
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by HighSierraTB » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:30 am

Just an FYI
I have a 2006 LT with 4WD and the V8. My RPO codes are 6FB and 7FB. Just took the tags off the springs they are the 15125883 part numbers Grey tag.
HighSierraTB

Name: Mike Johnson
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by HARDTRAILZ » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:29 am

MrSmithsTB wrote:Now that everything has had the time to settle, how does the truck sit with the shim still in? How much of a factor do you think the bumper plays in your front ride height?

I have had the shim out for awhile, but it will be going back in...hopefully tonight. I think the bumper is minimal. I did before and after with the install and it was .25 inch lower with the bumper than without any bumper. I do think the steel up there accounts for why mine settle so much more than it seems some peoples do.

I think I gained about .75 with the 88s overall. I think it sits even with where it was before the sagging got really bad, but I dont have the shims in, so the .75 shims are probably all the lift the springs actually gave me now that the settling is complete.
HARDTRAILZ

by BSalty » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:30 pm

Got some new spring codes verified for you. Got em when I did the lift.

'03 4x4 non G80.

LFT Dark Blue "87" 6SJ
RFT Light blue "85" 7SH

They are verified by Compnine, my build tag, the tags on the springs, and the color mark all matched up. Checked them when I did my lift yesterday.

That seems like a big difference in spring rates though. Is that normal?
BSalty
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brandon
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:09 pm

Do you by chance have a V8 or some other option to make your front end heavy?
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by Gordinho80 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:37 pm

Just ordered my 88s yesterday. With my stock springs, BDS spacers, MarkMC's shim, and my BFGs, I measured to the flat fender line where the bumper lines up, had mean of 32.75".

I added the MTA bumper and rad skid, drove it around a little, 32.375". Once I get the springs, I'll be overhauling my front suspension a bit, replacing CVs, upper ball joints, and flipping my UCAs. I'm going to see how it sits with the spacers and the 88s... if its too high, I guess I'll have to get something to bump up the rear a little more. :thumleft:
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by BSalty » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:55 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Do you by chance have a V8 or some other option to make your front end heavy?

No its just an I6 LS. It has the " Premium smooth ride" RPO. Dont know if that makes a diff.

It was originally ordered by the state of CO. and was used as a gov. vehicle. It came with all the original paperwork and had a county in CO sticker on the windshield when I bought it. It was used as an emergency mountain recovery vehicle apparently. Probably a chief or supervisor as it was in really good condition when I got it, and it hasn't had any boxes or outside radio holes drilled. ( I work in this field. I know what that looks like) It does have some odd options and when I park next to another TB or Envoy it has always sat 1" or so (eye balled) taller than every other one I have seen. Now its much taller with the lift. :excited: I dunno thats all I have found out about the truck.

I can PM you my VIN and you can see what it says if'n your curious.
BSalty
Trail-Blazer

by Trail X » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:19 pm

Could be special ordered with the heavier springs for the government purpose.

Yours are the heaviest I have heard of coming from the factory.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing

by TangoBravo » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:35 pm

Un till now I never looked to see what I had but CBR's truck is like mine so I thought I would look, so I did and now I am lost. My codes are 6CC and 7CC but I checked the list on the first pace and CC is not listed so I have no idea what mine are. Kinda wierd. I have 04w/I6 4x4 no G80 any help would be great.
Scouts Out, Carbon County Search and Rescue/Carbon County volunteer firefighter.

Ams oil products bumper to bumper, Treadwright Guard Dogs, 3 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift 1.5" spacers, swaybar trashcan mod, quad headlight mod
TangoBravo
Addict

Name: Robert
Vehicle Year: 2004

by Saxis » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:53 pm

TangoBravo wrote:Un till now I never looked to see what I had but CBR's truck is like mine so I thought I would look, so I did and now I am lost. My codes are 6CC and 7CC but I checked the list on the first pace and CC is not listed so I have no idea what mine are. Kinda wierd. I have 04w/I6 4x4 no G80 any help would be great.

CC looks like the 83 spring.

http://compnine.com/pnmouseover.php?pn=15125883
Saxis
Trail-Blazer

Name: Jesse
Vehicle Year: 2007

by TangoBravo » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:01 pm

Thanks that helps alot.
Scouts Out, Carbon County Search and Rescue/Carbon County volunteer firefighter.

Ams oil products bumper to bumper, Treadwright Guard Dogs, 3 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift 1.5" spacers, swaybar trashcan mod, quad headlight mod
TangoBravo
Addict

by BSalty » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:23 pm

I am doing some deeper research and I wonder if the 87 was a replacement at some point before I got it. I can find my RPO for the 83 and the 87 and the 85 looking at different places. But the part tag on the spring itself and the color match perfectly so I know it is an 87 spring.

But that would make more sense. It would be odd to have that much diff. and be that stiff and not have the G80. Back to the digging.

Edit: Ok the deeper I dig the more it looks like my springs have been replaced at some point. :scratch: Hrmmmmm time to order a matching 87. No wrecks on my carfax and it drives fine and sits level. I didn't find anything that was damaged or looked replaced. I find my codes under the part number lookup as 83/85 but with the RPO search its 87/85. WTH?
Last edited by BSalty on Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BSalty
Trail-Blazer

by fishsticks » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:32 pm

CBRguy wrote:I am doing some deeper research and I wonder if the 87 was a replacement at some point before I got it. I can find my RPO for the 83 and the 87 and the 85 looking at different places. But the part tag on the spring itself and the color match perfectly so I know it is an 87 spring.

But that would make more sense. It would be odd to have that much diff. and be that stiff and not have the G80. Back to the digging.

Collision repair perhaps?
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other

by BSalty » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:36 pm

It must be. Thats the only thing that makes sense.
BSalty
Trail-Blazer

by TangoBravo » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:40 pm

fishsticks wrote:
CBRguy wrote:I am doing some deeper research and I wonder if the 87 was a replacement at some point before I got it. I can find my RPO for the 83 and the 87 and the 85 looking at different places. But the part tag on the spring itself and the color match perfectly so I know it is an 87 spring.

Collision repair perhaps?

That may not be the case, my brother in law is a ASE Master mechanic for 12 years and he just last week told me a story that may or may not explain why you have differant springs. He had a customer come into his shop that kept having problems with the suspension in the front of their vehicle they said that everytime this person went over a speed bump the front end would make noise. They checked it over and over again and couldn't find anything wrong finally on the 5th time the vehicle came back it was brought in by the daughter who is the normal driver of this vehicle. Turns out the daughter is morbidly obese and everytime she went over a bumb it was bottoming out the suspension so now that they knew that the regular driver was around 600lbs what they did to fix the problem was replace the driver spring with a stiffer one and he said that this is a normal fix to this kind of problem and had they known sooner about the load one the driverside they would have done this sooner. So maybe whomever had the vehicle before you was a heavy person. Or it has been repaired from an accident.

TangoBravo
Addict

by Hpimichael02 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:39 pm

Hey guys

I kno Kyle has had success with the 88 springs but why is no one going with 89's?

I'm thinking of ordering them to counter the excess play when wheeling to counter the bumper weight, Kyle said his settled down a bit and pushed his cv's almost to the edge, would 89's break them ?? Or is that just un-charted territory?
Hpimichael02
Trail-Blazer

Name: Mike mcd

by The Roadie » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:46 pm

89's would just mean less settling when the weight of the vehicle is on them. The extended/unweighted length of the strut doesn't change, so the CVs won't be at any more risk of binding/breaking. The resting angle will just be higher, which wears the CV joints, but won't break them. .
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

PreviousNext

Return to Lifts / Suspension