Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Rancho Shocks

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by cbbryan » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:53 am

I was browsing and stumbled upon the Rancho My Ride system, and as i got to looking they say it will work on a 2005 Chevy Blazer and GMC Jimmy. I thought they only made the Trailblazer and Envoy in 2005. Anyways this is what it is http://www.gorancho.com/shock_lookup.php?year=2005&make=CHEVROLET&model=Blazer+S+Models&drive=4WD&height=Stock&submodel=All+Models&x=48&y=7 [url]http://www.gorancho.com/accessories.php?accessory=myRIDE[/url]

Do you guys think it is actually compatible?
cbbryan
Trail-Blazer

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by The Roadie » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:57 am

It also says S Series, so I'm sure they are not for our platform.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by cbbryan » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:08 am

I didn't think so; I just thought that would be something worth looking into.
cbbryan
Trail-Blazer

Name: Chris

by djthumper » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:19 pm

They don't offer anything for the Trailvoys for shocks
djthumper

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2006

by rgraboske » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:28 pm

The old S series hung around for several years after the Trailblazer came out. 2005 was the last year iirc.

Technically, the Trailbalzer and Envoy are still S Series (2WD) and T series (4WD). GM changed their internal naming convention to GMT (truck). Cars they went with Kappa, Gamma, Epsilon, etc.

As for the Rancho shocks and struts, Jegs does still list them on their website as being available and shipping in 6 days. Shock Guys told me they couldn't get them, but that maybe Jegs had a stash of them. Either that or their website is out of date.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/MkMdlYrSearchCmd?YEAR=1570488&Ne=1%2b2%2b3%2b1147708%2b2&langId=-1&MODEL=1570908&storeId=10001&MAKE=1570782&Jnar=0&N=1570908+4294964456&catalogId=10002&Nty=0
rgraboske
Trail-Blazer

Name: Rob Graboske
Vehicle Year: 2002

by Philberto » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:03 pm

rgraboske wrote:...Trailbalzer...

He hehehe hehehehehe

I think I'm gonna change my lettering around.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by rgraboske » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:11 pm

:lol:
rgraboske
Trail-Blazer

by Diacom » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:42 pm

rgraboske wrote:Technically, the Trailbalzer and Envoy are still S Series (2WD) and T series (4WD). GM changed their internal naming convention to GMT (truck). Cars they went with Kappa, Gamma, Epsilon, etc.

How are they technically still an S series? I mean other than they both have 4 tires, they don't share a single part or sub-system. Since 1982 when the S-10 PU was introduced with it's meazely 4 cylinders until their demise they never offered a straight six. Even the size is no where close. The four door T-10 compared to a GMT-360 is small in comparison. I do realize the nameplate was used on the S series breifly, but rather than continue supporting the old platform, they upgraded, albeit breifly to this one.

Just wondering how this figures...

Oh and they share the Bowtie, can't forget that.
Diacom
Addict

Name: Noel
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by rgraboske » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:00 am

In the old days, they used the 5th VIN character to determine the model. The big trucks were (and are) C 2wd and K 4wd, and the small trucks were S 2wd and T 4wd. If you look, the Colorado follows the same pattern.

So while they're both totally different than the vehicles they replace, and not really related, they are technically S/T trucks. Not that this really matters in any real way :lol:
rgraboske
Trail-Blazer

by glfredrick » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:37 am

I would just check the size of the mounting locations, then find a shock from some similar weighted vehicle that is the desired length. Who cares if the factory says they will fit or not. Just nuts and bolts stuff. I sort of live by the factory size charts printed in their full catalogs and pick shocks that will suit my purpose. They almost never come from the same vehicle that I am trying to fit. For instance, on my Sploder, I ran 2006 Dodge RAM 3500 front shocks up front because that was the longest shock avaiable to fit my desired mounts. That shock gave me 18" of front tavel with the TTB suspension. Out back, I ran Ranger 6" lift shocks. With the 'Sploder's spring under and the Ranger's spring over suspension, the 6" over shocks were just right for max down-travel.
http://www.UCORA.org == The United Christian Off-Road Alliance, a family friendly place
2003 Trailblazer = got groceries?
1995 Dodge RAM 2500 w/Cummins = got tow rig?
1986-90 Ford Ranger truggy = got rock?
glfredrick
Contributing Author

Name: Guy
Vehicle Year: 2003

by OregTrailBlazin » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:42 pm

glfredrick wrote:I would just check the size of the mounting locations, then find a shock from some similar weighted vehicle that is the desired length. Who cares if the factory says they will fit or not. Just nuts and bolts stuff. I sort of live by the factory size charts printed in their full catalogs and pick shocks that will suit my purpose. They almost never come from the same vehicle that I am trying to fit. For instance, on my Sploder, I ran 2006 Dodge RAM 3500 front shocks up front because that was the longest shock avaiable to fit my desired mounts. That shock gave me 18" of front tavel with the TTB suspension. Out back, I ran Ranger 6" lift shocks. With the 'Sploder's spring under and the Ranger's spring over suspension, the 6" over shocks were just right for max down-travel.

:Iagree:
That's what everyone does. Generally there are only a few different valving options too (Bilstein has two for their 5100's), so it's not as critical as some would think!
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Johnathan Kurz
Vehicle Year: 2004

by Zero » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:47 pm

You can always have a shock made by Penske. The nice thing about theirs, is the tune ability and ease of sending them out to be rebuilt if you dont like the valving or if the leak. Lots of racers like using these shocks for just that reason. Something like $100 to send a pair back and have them re valved, oil visc. change, rebuild.

personally, I reallllly want to find a way to get the ranch 9000 shocks on my truck. I love the wireless my ride control system. It will allow me to instantly adjust for road conditions, or the caliber or personnel I may be transporting (I drive directors and cast on our films quite often) so having something I can change from soft and comfy to nice and firm for the trails would be a welcome addition to my ride.
Zero
Veteran

Name: Brendan
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

Return to Lifts / Suspension