Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

So about these rear control arms...

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by fishsticks » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:32 pm

This was originally going to be a reply in the vendor thread...but I decided to self moderate it to here.

Are we sure rearward adjustment is even necessary?

I thought it was at first, Especially since I'm looking at 35's. But after looking at Kyle's pics I did some measuring and I'm not so sure now.

I'm sitting at 4.25" of unloaded rear lift (Z71 springs + 2" bottom block + .75" top block). I may add as much as 1.25" to this depending on how my front 88 spring/shim setup ends up. The 3" body lift will go on top of that. So there's a theoretical potential for the body to be 8.5" up from its stock location. I rub my 32's on the liners right now if I flex the rear really good.

Currently my rear hub centerline sits below the body. If I measure horizontally from body to tire I get about 2" clearance in the front. 35" tires have a 1.5" larger radius than my current tires. If I were to put 35's on as my truck sits currently, I'd have to cut/yank the rear liners. It'd be a tight fit definitely, but eyeballing the whole assembly I'm pretty sure I'd wad up the top of the fender before I rubbed on the front. Add the body lift and it's not even close.

While the new arms are definitely a strength upgrade... it seems like the relocation part of things isn't exactly necessary... Am I missing something?
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by glfredrick » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:45 pm

The extra length is because the arms get effectively shorter as they are carried at a greater angle, which is what happens when you increase the spring height. At full stuff, the arms may be too long. At full droop, they will probably still be too short.

That, and you'll still be likely to have to do some fender trimming for larger tires no matter how much lift. That is one of the deals with off-road. You have to be able to fully cycle the suspension with the largest tire size possible in order to surmount obstacles found on most trails past the fire road level.
http://www.UCORA.org == The United Christian Off-Road Alliance, a family friendly place
2003 Trailblazer = got groceries?
1995 Dodge RAM 2500 w/Cummins = got tow rig?
1986-90 Ford Ranger truggy = got rock?
glfredrick
Contributing Author

Name: Guy
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:15 pm

I have seen 35's rub on the front from just the added weight of towing a trailer, so i am sure they will hit at full flex. That truck was the tallest until I stepped up.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by fishsticks » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:49 pm

glfredrick wrote:The extra length is because the arms get effectively shorter as they are carried at a greater angle, which is what happens when you increase the spring height. At full stuff, the arms may be too long. At full droop, they will probably still be too short.

That, and you'll still be likely to have to do some fender trimming for larger tires no matter how much lift. That is one of the deals with off-road. You have to be able to fully cycle the suspension with the largest tire size possible in order to surmount obstacles found on most trails past the fire road level.

I'm totally on board with your reasoning here.... but look at this picture with me.

See how the body of my truck is already past the widest part of the tire? When the rear droops, the hub moves the farther up (and forward), but since the widest part of the tire is already past the body I should be in the clear, no? WHen the tires stuffs, the hub returns towards the center of the wheel well. The wheel well itself is nearly 37" wide, so a 35 should fit into it if the hub is centered.

I'm totally ready to cut whatever is needed... comes with the territory, I'm just not seeing the front being where the cutting is necessary. I guess I'll just have to get this body lift on, get some tires and see for sure. Talk is cheap. :cheers:

HARDTRAILZ wrote:I have seen 35's rub on the front from just the added weight of towing a trailer, so i am sure they will hit at full flex. That truck was the tallest until I stepped up.

You're gonna beat me to wheeling 35's anyway. But I'm happy to follow in your tracks and learn. :)

ETA: Fixed pic link.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by glfredrick » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:00 am

When I look at that picture, I see everything below the parting line (rear bumper shell) by the rear tail light as unnesesary for off-roading. I would make the cut right there, then get rear arms that extend about 6"... :coffee2:

I also don't see the front molding as adventageous. You either get tall tires that help or a stock appearing body shell. No way to really have both.

This is not a TB, but this is how I handled the problem on my 'Sploder:

Before the nerfs:

Here it is stock, with much smaller tires. No way to stuff large rubber with the sheet metal out back, so it went away!

http://www.UCORA.org == The United Christian Off-Road Alliance, a family friendly place
glfredrick
Contributing Author

by bartonmd » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:17 am

True, but we have a sort of a box that sticks down back there, that's where the air from the vent and shutting the doors comes out...

You can kind of see it in this picture:

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:43 am

That vent would be easy to relocate. If you cut it off the air will still come out whever it was coming from before that and you just make a similar style vent by the cut or, cut it seal it and make one somewhere else. I have been debating about cutting back there anyway. I want a bar from slider over fender opening to rear hitch or frame.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by glfredrick » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:44 pm

I agee. The vent could be fixed in a number of ways -- like making removable doors, for instance. :mrgreen:

Not an insurmountable problem. Once you get used to the idea of remodeling sheetmetal, the saw is the first tool out of the box from then on. :lol:

Sheetmetal is there to hold stuff in or out -- otherwise it is expendable. If you are worried about the look you are probably on the wrong forum (eventually at least).

And, I get it. The bank still owns way to much of my TB to start cutting... But my Ranger? Where's my saw! :cheers:
glfredrick
Contributing Author

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:53 pm

glfredrick wrote:I agee. The vent could be fixed in a number of ways -- like making removable doors, for instance. :mrgreen:

I like that idea alot. i keep looking for some to make half doors..I guess since I own over half on my TB I can lose 1/2 the sheet metal
HARDTRAILZ

by bartonmd » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 pm

Oh yeah, they can definitely be cut off, but if you want the vents to flow without a window cracked, and if you want your doors to shut right, you'll have to reposition them somewhere... That's all I'm saying... It's just another thing to have to get around, and cutting real sheet metal may be out of the bounds of what some want to do...

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:25 pm

Connor: How far are we gonna take this, Da?
Il Duce: The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far is as needed?

Just seemed to fit.
HARDTRAILZ

by Zero » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:27 am

Lol great quote. My father and I did both films. I even have a speaking role in the second film. I get shot and killed when I try and take out il duce.
Zero
Veteran

Name: Brendan
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by OregTrailBlazin » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:30 pm

Zero wrote:Lol great quote. My father and I did both films. I even have a speaking role in the second film. I get shot and killed when I try and take out il duce.

Look pretty good doing it too!! :thumleft: Thats a bad ass job.. :cheers:
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Johnathan Kurz
Vehicle Year: 2004