Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Stacking rear spacers

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by MrSmithsTB » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:08 am

Getting an extra set of Marks rear spacers to play with, so I'm going to make my own "McDouble" and try stacking them before anything else. Not sure what kind of rake I'm going to end up with. 2" on top of what I have will only be @1/2" more than Z71 springs. Not too concerned with safety as far as everything staying in place. Even with the BDS shock I plan to order after the upcoming show, full extension should hold it all tight. Question I have is does anyone have any experience or opinions on stacking spacers of this size? I know the old SMAXX spacer stacking was commonplace, but they weren't quite as tall.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by fishsticks » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:37 am

I'm not stacking on the bottom... but I have a spring sandwich. I have the Rough Country .75" spacer on top of my Tahoe springs and Smaxx 2" on the bottom. Zero issues.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by MrSmithsTB » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:54 am

Looks a little goofy to me. Just a bit too much rake? That rear has nice height, but the gap up front seems way to small now. Since the consensus is that going higher than 2.5" is going to have too many negative effects, spacer may be pulled and cut down this afternoon. Effectively giving the same lift as the Z71 springs.

Not at home, so I only have my phone to take pics with. But here is a basic walk around of what it looks like right now. Probably removing the spacer when I get home later this afternoon, but it isn't as horrible as it looked when I first woke up.
Last edited by MrSmithsTB on Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:08 am

I agree with the too much rake. How much clearance between the top of tire and fenderwell front and rear?
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by MrSmithsTB » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:12 am

Before the spacers it was 8" all around. Now the front is 7.3" and the rear is 10.2"

Just measure again, it's actually 9" rear and 6.7" front.
Last edited by MrSmithsTB on Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

by MrSmithsTB » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:21 pm

Come to think of it, I had to throw on my Tahoe Shocks since the stockers couldn't handle the extra lift. I'm sure that had an effect on the overall result. Hell, pulling the blocks and keeping the shocks might just fix the "negative rake" illusion that my eyes were seeing before.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

by johnburgelin » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:14 pm

I'm planning on doing a McOnePointFive with 2 of mark's spacers and my z71 springs in the rear. Granted I've flipped my UCA's and am going to shove another shim in the top of the strut as well, if that doesn't make me happy I'm grabbing some stiffer springs I'm most likely going to need anyway because of the winch I'm putting on the front.
johnburgelin
Off-Roader

Name: John
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:25 pm

From your measurements it shows you need to watch how much rear lift you do since it pushes the front down. I was thinking with the height of my front now, I could possibly add a 1 inch spacer rear, but i dont want the front to drop any.

I cant wait to see how the control arms affect the rear lift...
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle

by MrSmithsTB » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:41 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:From your measurements it shows you need to watch how much rear lift you do since it pushes the front down. I was thinking with the height of my front now, I could possibly add a 1 inch spacer rear, but i dont want the front to drop any.

I did some remeasuring today. I've come to the conclusion that I was either on unlevel ground or drugs :gimp:

The post spacer measurements are accurate. Without the extra spacers actually puts me at 6.5" all around. So, the front didn't actually get pushed down, it just looked like it. That also means the extra spacer added 2.5" of rear lift. I'm thinking this may with the rear being sucked forward. I'm also thinking some stiffer springs will correct the rake without maxing the CVs. And let me do larger tires before a body lift is needed :excited:
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

by johnburgelin » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:27 pm

MrSmithsTB wrote:
HARDTRAILZ wrote:From your measurements it shows you need to watch how much rear lift you do since it pushes the front down. I was thinking with the height of my front now, I could possibly add a 1 inch spacer rear, but i dont want the front to drop any.

I did some remeasuring today. I've come to the conclusion that I was either on unlevel ground or drugs :gimp:

The post spacer measurements are accurate. Without the extra spacers actually puts me at 6.5" all around. So, the front didn't actually get pushed down, it just looked like it. That also means the extra spacer added 2.5" of rear lift. I'm thinking this may with the rear being sucked forward. I'm also thinking some stiffer springs will correct the rake without maxing the CVs. And let me do larger tires before a body lift is needed :excited:

So wait, you don't have z71 springs in the back and you got 2.5 in of lift out of that extra spacer? :awesome: Looks like I'll be ordering some new front springs tonight......those things suck so bad to put in, I need to get an effing impact wrench
johnburgelin
Off-Roader

Name: John
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD

by MrSmithsTB » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:34 pm

That is correct. Just broke down and ordered them today, though. I'd much rather have a larger spring than extra spacers. Keep Is Stupid Simple
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Return to Lifts / Suspension