Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Coil over or new springs?

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by Hpimichael02 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:04 pm

hey guys ive been looking at bill's thread on TV about his icon Coil over's, ive sent them an email to see if i can get a set but they have not responded :(. so i continued to read alek's build thread on TV, and he used Toyota tundra/4runner coil overs. im thinking of going this route but with camburg coilover's, since my brother has at least half dozen mini truck fabricators to do work, im gonna contact them and print off alek's thread and have them go over and see if we can come up with a similar result,

but my real question is there any brand that may be coming out with these? or where can i get custom springs made(i know its been a past subject, i cant find a answer on TV) and what spring-rates would be sufficient?
Hpimichael02
Trail-Blazer

Name: Mike mcd
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Zero » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:32 pm

If you search for the thread where Bill broke his ICON coil overs, you will see that there may have to be some design changes to the product. In fact I am not 100% sure if it is even available to the general public, or just Roadie for testing.

As far as I know, Alek hasnt had a problem with his fabtechs. He simply loves them. Although I do know if he were to do it over again, he would have them mounted differently. Id suggest emailing him, or checking out his website.

or check out his blog......

http://88xpeditions.blogspot.com/

There are a lot of different set ups out there for other trucks like the tacoma that can be made to work for us. Its all about the dime and time brother.

Also, if your gona need a lot of help from Roadie, you may want to consider hiring him for consultation re. your truck. If you do that, Im sure he would be much more obliged to walk ya through.
Zero
Veteran

Name: Brendan
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:27 pm

Maybe you missed the "Factory Spring Part Numbers & Associated Lift" thread. You can essentially customize your ride height by switching to a different factory spring.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by OregTrailBlazin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:35 pm

Hpimichael02 wrote:im thinking of going this route but with camburg coilover's

This is fairly do-able. I have the Sway-A-Way (or racerunner as some know them) coilovers in my TB, which is the company that builds the Camburg coilovers. The Tacoma comes with a 13x650 spring, which is very firm in my truck without a bumper or winch.

We potentially have a vendor that will build us coilovers, but our market is still very small, and most people are trying to nickel and dime this truck to death. I'm hoping within a year we can see a production coilover.... But we will just have to see how it goes when Roadie gets back from his trip.
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Johnathan Kurz
Vehicle Year: 2004

by glfredrick » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:50 pm

Typically, coil over springs are custom parts out of the box. You order a length, a type of mount, and then spec out the type of spring(s) that you want to run, all the way from 25# to 800# rates. Why the really small rate spring? They are sometimes used in a 3 spring system and called tender springs. They take out the slack between two other coils of varying rates. A popular way of setting up the coil over is to use a dual rate set of springs, one soft and the other stiffer. That gives a nice ride until the heavier spring comes into play to hold everything up during bumps or rough stuff.

While there are probably no off the shelf coil overs built to just slide on to the TB platform, I cannot imagine that mounting a set could be that difficult. Just weld on a set of perches and bolt on a set. I've stuck them (or air springs) on a number of off-road rides. They are the easy part compared to figuring out the steering.

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/gdept ... ension.htm

http://bluetorchfab.com/store/index.php?cPath=59

Check out their tabs and mounts section.

There are tons of others out there.
http://www.UCORA.org == The United Christian Off-Road Alliance, a family friendly place
2003 Trailblazer = got groceries?
1995 Dodge RAM 2500 w/Cummins = got tow rig?
1986-90 Ford Ranger truggy = got rock?
glfredrick
Contributing Author

Name: Guy
Vehicle Year: 2003

Return to Lifts / Suspension