Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Trail Ride plus carnage - happy ending

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by SteveTB03 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:37 pm

Jesus Roadie!!! When I talked to you earlier and you told me about this I didn't realize it was this bad.

Maybe it was just a bad coilover you got from them bad material or bad forging of the materials.

Id like to know what does the coilover on the other side of your voy look like is that one showing any signs of stress or of anything about to "snap" in two???
Go Big & Go Broke
SteveTB03
Addict

Name: Steve Darras
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by teebes » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:49 pm

Oh boy.... Those are ugly looking pics!

Sunday I was out riding in Corral Canyon, bad idea with the heat, only rode 50 miles (not alot) and ended the day with severe dehydration (very painful, btw).

Any news from Johnny or Icon yet?
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by The Roadie » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:19 pm

Yep. Took out a CV boot, but that's a small cost compared to what could have happened. Johnny's on the case - waiting for Icon's response now. After I get your takeoff struts in, I can ship both of mine up to Icon. I'd drive them up there if I was still out of work, but alas, I'm not. :excited:

I thought we both learned a lesson about carrying enough water on the Elliot Mine / Blue Angel Peak day when we lost the trucks. :friday:
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by teebes » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:51 pm

The Roadie wrote:Yep. Took out a CV boot, but that's a small cost compared to what could have happened. Johnny's on the case - waiting for Icon's response now. After I get your takeoff struts in, I can ship both of mine up to Icon. I'd drive them up there if I was still out of work, but alas, I'm not. :excited:

I thought we both learned a lesson about carrying enough water on the Elliot Mine / Blue Angel Peak day when we lost the trucks. :friday:

Drank a couple litres worth while riding; should've been more than enough for such a little ride. There's a huge Big Bear ride I want to do this weekend, heat shouldn't be a problem but I still need to fix a seal on my drivers side CV :slap: :viking:
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes
Vehicle Year: 2002

by Trail X » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:14 am

What's the latest on the coils? Did you swap out for both BDS struts? or are you still running with one coilover?
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by The Roadie » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:27 am

I got a cold, so I was in bed a couple of days this week, and too tired to swap them out yet. Tomorrow morning. I have Teebes' takeoffs because he now has my takeoffs, so what I think I have is some semi-collapsed stock 2002 springs with Rough Country spacers outside the struts, on top of OEM black Bilsteins. Ick, but better than nothing.

Johnny's going to work on the rebuild soon as I can ship the broken bits up there. We have some speculation on the root cause, but I have to take a lot more measurements. There may be bending loads on the bottom mount I didn't think would be there, due to flex in the tapered pin bushing in the lower control arm. If it was a welded pin and a spherical joint at the bottom, the strut could float and get rid of any bending loads, I think. Might have to suck up to the resident M.E. for some modeling.
The Roadie
Founder

by bartonmd » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:02 am

The Roadie wrote:I got a cold, so I was in bed a couple of days this week, and too tired to swap them out yet. Tomorrow morning. I have Teebes' takeoffs because he now has my takeoffs, so what I think I have is some semi-collapsed stock 2002 springs with Rough Country spacers outside the struts, on top of OEM black Bilsteins. Ick, but better than nothing.

Johnny's going to work on the rebuild soon as I can ship the broken bits up there. We have some speculation on the root cause, but I have to take a lot more measurements. There may be bending loads on the bottom mount I didn't think would be there, due to flex in the tapered pin bushing in the lower control arm. If it was a welded pin and a spherical joint at the bottom, the strut could float and get rid of any bending loads, I think. Might have to suck up to the resident M.E. for some modeling.

My wife just left for the day with the TB... Does the pin go all the way through the control arm, or is it just in the sheet metal on one side of the control arm? All the way through, I would think that it wouldn't bend too much... Just on one side... yeah...

James... Calling James... (the guy with the FEA tools at work :drool3: )

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007

by Trail X » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:57 pm

I'd have to see what it looks like and how it's put together again. Been a while since I looked at that part.
Trail X
Founder

by The Roadie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:09 pm

I got Teebes' takeoffs in on Saturday morning and instantly packed for the weekend inthe mountains with Mrs. Roadie. We had to escape the regional Scottish Highland Games that teks over the city park across the street from our house - 12 hours a day of bagpipes is too much.

More news later. The pin goes through the control arm using a rubber bushing. The bushing is there to allow the strut mount at rotate a few degrees to accommodate the changing angle of the strut compared to the control arm as the suspension cycles.

But the pin is cantilevered off the front of the arm, even though the force is aimed at the center of the control arm. Deteriorated bushings as I used to have could conceivably allow the pin to change angle within the control arm, and that would send a bending force to the shock shaft. Gotta draw it up.
The Roadie
Founder

by Trail X » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:44 pm

The Roadie wrote:I got Teebes' takeoffs in on Saturday morning and instantly packed for the weekend inthe mountains with Mrs. Roadie. We had to escape the regional Scottish Highland Games that teks over the city park across the street from our house - 12 hours a day of bagpipes is too much.

More news later. The pin goes through the control arm using a rubber bushing. The bushing is there to allow the strut mount at rotate a few degrees to accommodate the changing angle of the strut compared to the control arm as the suspension cycles.

But the pin is cantilevered off the front of the arm, even though the force is aimed at the center of the control arm. Deteriorated bushings as I used to have could conceivably allow the pin to change angle within the control arm, and that would send a bending force to the shock shaft. Gotta draw it up.

Also, think about a stock shock... it's upside down compared to your icons. So the stock shock has its strongest part down where the bending load is the greatest.
Trail X
Founder

by bartonmd » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:35 am

JamesDowning wrote:
The Roadie wrote:I got Teebes' takeoffs in on Saturday morning and instantly packed for the weekend inthe mountains with Mrs. Roadie. We had to escape the regional Scottish Highland Games that teks over the city park across the street from our house - 12 hours a day of bagpipes is too much.

Also, think about a stock shock... it's upside down compared to your icons. So the stock shock has its strongest part down where the bending load is the greatest.

ewww... Yeah... I don't know why, but I just thought there would be a bearing in the end of the strut extension, onto a hard-mounted shaft...

And yeah, the weak point of the stock shock is at the point with the most leverage against the bending moment...

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007

by SteveTB03 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:06 am

So is there any new news yet about the coilovers?
Go Big & Go Broke
SteveTB03
Addict

Name: Steve Darras
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by The Roadie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:57 am

There won't be any quick news about them. I got hugely busy at work, need to pack them up to send to Oregon for the rebuild, and looking more closely, the lower mount may need a spherical joint and a redesign of the control arm pin to eliminate the bending moment.

Put them out of your mind for a while, is my recommendation.
The Roadie
Founder

by Trail X » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:29 am

The Roadie wrote:There won't be any quick news about them. I got hugely busy at work, need to pack them up to send to Oregon for the rebuild, and looking more closely, the lower mount may need a spherical joint and a redesign of the control arm pin to eliminate the bending moment.

Put them out of your mind for a while, is my recommendation.

Spherical joint on the lower mount?...

I still think they just need to flip their design. Shock housing on bottom. Seems that'd be easiest.

If they want to make any sales, they need to make their product a direct drop-in.

Or... They could also just include the dog-leg lower mount into their product and get rid of the interface. Their shock then comes with it's own dog leg that eliminates the neck-down threading. It's unrealistic for them to ship new LCAs with their product.
Trail X
Founder

Previous

Return to Lifts / Suspension