Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Question abot installing the lift

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by KE7WOX » Fri May 28, 2010 1:18 pm

Ok, so both the instructions for thhe BDS kit and the Haynes manual say that the final torquing of the suspension will be done with the weight of the vehicle on the suspensioon. That's ok for the nuts that hold the strut assemblky for the vehicle, but for the other ones... is that the way everyone has done that? it looks like tightening things like the strut assembly joke with the vehicle sitting on the tires is more than a difficult task.
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Name: Felipe G
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by fishsticks » Fri May 28, 2010 1:32 pm

I retorqued the upper strut assembly nuts with the truck on the ground. Everything else I did with the truck in the air. No problems.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by KE7WOX » Fri May 28, 2010 5:13 pm

Ok sounds like that will be the way to go, especially since my torque wrench is one of the long ones.

Another thing, the BDS guide says to torque the lower strut mount to 175 ft lb. but I'm not entirely sure what the lower mount is? is it the yoke to control arm mount? because the Haynes guide says 82 for that one, and there's no mention of 175 anywhere in there.
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

by The Roadie » Fri May 28, 2010 10:16 pm

I believe BDS is in error. Only the lower control arm mounting bracket bolts (the three that control caster and camber) need to go to 175-190 ft-lbs. The strut yoke to its tapered pin on the LCA is 81 in my 2004 shop manual, and the yoke pinch bolt is 52. Oh, BDS guy....... :poke: Can't believe I didn't catch that earlier, like when BDS first started shipping that kit and I bought one of the first.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by KE7WOX » Fri May 28, 2010 11:23 pm

I read about that one at the OS after searching "bds spacer fit". Yes. I needed Makita's help. 2 1/2 hours attempting to get the damn assembly in, thinking that the strut or yoke were hitting some other component and that was preventing us from placing it correctly.

I will go for 81 then, as that's what Haynes says (it was 81 not 82, i got confused by the 52 from the pinch bolt.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Return to Lifts / Suspension