Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Bilstein shocks for lifted rears.

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by navigator » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:53 pm

my nitro N8030's are 26.57 but I'm not disco'ed.
I had a hard time prying in my Z71's and a 3/4 inch spacer.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by DustinC1989 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:14 pm

I'm still torn on shocks. was going to go with Bilsteins, but I recently found the skyjacker M95's. Anyone run them yet?
DustinC1989
Addict

Name: Dustin
Vehicle Year: 2007

by bartonmd » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:01 am

Good news! The springs are long enough with just the 2" spacers and aren't even loose or anything, at full droop. Having said that, I'll probably stick the other 1" spacer in, for some extra height, with the weight of the tire/fuel/jack on the back.

I did the 1/2" x 4" bolt and washer thing on these, and it seems to work pretty well.

Also, I had to unattach the wheel speed sensor wire from its clip above the center of the tire, like many do. The brake lines weren't really tight on straight droop, but looked like they would be a little tight on flexed out droop. I don't like completely disconnecting brake lines and such, so I just cut the back of the mount and bent it down a little.

bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by dvanbramer88 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:24 am

Those are po-boy limiting straps. Like Moots is running.

:poke:
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave
Vehicle Year: 2002

by v7guy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:15 pm

Rotfl!
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by salvo2002 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:56 pm

Opeth wrote:I am running Z71 springs, Mark's spacer and the Bilstein 33-185552 10" (255/70) valving.

So I bought some grade 8 (1/2")x13-4" long galvanized bolts and 12 1/2" washers.

Truck is once again silent over bumps.

Also, one 1/2" washer needs to be used on either side of the top bushing to eliminate the gap in that mounting location as well.

The steel bushings I cut are 1.5cm long, 1/2" shock bushing/washers.

Would totally recommend these in replace of the pricey BDS Fox 2.0 shocks. Plus these also come with boots, unlike the fox's.

@Opeth
I tried using the bushings that came with the Bilsteins. Stuck one of the steel spacers in each side until they met in the middle of the rubber bushing. It fit great and was able to torque the bolt to the required torque (80Nm or 59ft-lbs). But I ended up with this:

I tried the washer method like bartonmd did but can't figure out how to torque it down without compressing the bushing since there is nothing horizontally stopping the compression until you reach the actual eye of the shock (and bending the bracket inwards). I could easily cut down the bushings like you did to 1.5cm but how are you keeping it from sliding around? Am I missing something obvious?
Last edited by salvo2002 on Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
salvo2002
Cruiser

Name: John
Vehicle Year: 2003

by navigator » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:51 pm

I'm not sure I am following you...
I would guess your shocks came like my skyjackers with the 4 steel bushings loose. I think I had to press in one on each end of each shock. They extended a little wider than the nylon bushing that was in the shock. I then had to stack several washers on each side basically making one long bushing. You can then torque it down and it should be pretty much centered and shouldn't move.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by salvo2002 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:51 pm

Right, so when I press one of the steel spacers that came with the shocks in it doesn't extend past the edge of the rubber bushing in the eye...hence why I used two of them that met in the center and it somehow was the right length to fit in the bracket. I bought some 1/2" ID spacers to use in the top but have the same problem so I don't have it torqued up top either...

Anyways I think I figured it out. I am just going to cut some 1/2" ID spacers that end up being flush with the outside of the rubber bushing and then use washers the rest of the way...

For some reason I had in my head that the 1/2" washer was going to ride over the steel spacer and therefore not allow to torque it properly. Well that is not the case, the 1/2" washer will not ride over a 1/2" ID spacer, because it has a 5/8" OD, duh! so the washer will hit that lip...

How important is it for it to be smack in the middle of the bracket?
salvo2002
Cruiser

Name: John
Vehicle Year: 2003

by navigator » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:09 pm

I would just use the bushings that came, one in each end and stack washer on each side to make up the difference. I don't think if the nylon bushing squeezes a little it would matter.
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by Trail X » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:45 pm

It doesn't have to be perfectly centered, especially on the skinny shocks. Either method would have worked, if you did the double spacer on the bottom as you have pictured, you just need larger washers to fit over the spacer instead of inline.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Opeth » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:58 pm

The spacer that came with the shocks I pressed into its respective place, then went to lowes and found two more. I added two washers per side to rest against the rubber bushing and other the metal side mount. The gap between was measured and I cut spacers to fill that gap, that's why mine are centered in the pics on the first page.
Opeth
Addict

Name: Cody

by 0RESET0 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:24 pm

I just ordered a set of these for my truck. Stock springs with MarkMC 3" lift. Will review once I have them installed.
2006 Trailblazer EXT I6 3.42/G80 4x4
MarkMC/Liftmeister 3" suspension lift and 32" Treadwrite Guard Dogs
Build Thread
0RESET0

Name: Sean Steele
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

Previous

Return to Lifts / Suspension