Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Tire suggestions

Need new shoes? This is the place to discuss.

by Mooseknuckle » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:08 am

Hey all. I'm new. I have an 2006 TB and I got it used with 38,000. I love it and there is soo much to do. I have to take one thing at a time so new shoes are first. I want an A/T tire. Here is what I'm looking at #1 GY Wrangler Silent Armors #2 Bridgestone Dueler Revo #3 GY Wrangler Dura Trac's and possibly #4 BFG A/T KO. I went to tire rack and checked out the surveys for A/T first two were listed at the top of the list. I want a tire that is good in all situations while not crushing me completely in MPG. I drive to work 4 days a week about 30 miles a day. I have been carefully through the pine barrens a bunch of times. Eventually down the road I will be putting a small lift on it but not for a while. I need something that will fit I dont know the max I can go without rubbing right now it's 245/65R17. I have alot of peole telling me GY Wrangler Silent Armors are the best choice and then I have everyone else in my neighborhood telling me BFG. :shoot:
Mooseknuckle
Addict

Name: Jeff
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Zero » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:18 am

I know Roadie had the silent Armors and he loved them. But now he only runs an MT tire. Id go with the silent armors for the kevlar protection, its peace of mind.
Zero
Veteran

Name: Brendan
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by bartonmd » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:19 am

Take a look at the Firestone Destination AT...

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007

by Mooseknuckle » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:31 pm

I just read a couple of reviews say that the silent armors after sitting for more than a day have a slight wobble to the tire until they get warmed up! Just curious if anyone heard anything about that? I like the GY Dura Trac's but I'm not sure if 245/70R17 will fit..I have 245/65R17 will that jump in number matter or is that just a slightly wider tire?
I don't dial 911
Mooseknuckle
Addict

by janesy86 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:48 pm

Its a slightly taller tire... about an inch, all varies on the tire tho. And with that size it should fit w/o a problem according to the 'Will it fit chart' on the OS.

Also have heard good things about the Goodyear Duratrac's, they look nice and aggressive for AT.
Build Thread
Back to stock, had fun while it lasted...
janesy86
Veteran

Name: Nick Janes

by Mooseknuckle » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:22 pm

Ok thank you. I hope it fits I would hate to get them only to send them back. Thats why I'm on here I hope some one has tried that size stock without a lift. What are my options if I do get the tire and it doesnt fit I wonder how much it would cost to do a 2 inch lift.I would probably want to have new springs and shocks when that takes place... :wallbash:
I don't dial 911
Mooseknuckle
Addict

by janesy86 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:32 pm

No spring change is needed at all... I mean a bunch of us have the Z71 Tahoe springs for the rear but thats optional for a cpl more inches back there. Shocks aren't needed either but most people do it while installing the lift since your taking it all apart anyway.

And a basic lift from Smaxx or MarkMC on the OS isn't all that much, Marks being under $150 for a 2.5" lift and Smaxx a lil more but they have more height options.

Personally I'd get a lift first esp. since they some can be had cheap, then get tires, which you'd be able to stuff a lil bigger one under there, as I'm imaging thats your future plan since your here and not on the OS.

Then go from there as you like... upgrading shocks and whatnot, but thats my .02
Build Thread
janesy86
Veteran

by The Roadie » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:23 pm

Remember - lift BY ITSELF doesn't let you fit bigger tires. The first big restriction is the distance from the edge of the tire to the upper ball joint. That's why 30.5" diameter is such an important number to remember. Stay under that diameter with OEM rims and you won't hit the upper ball joint. Above 30.5" and you're going to start by needing spacers to make them fit. And THEN you also start to hit the fender and top part of the wheel well liner if you don't have lift.

But lift isn't what you need to worry about first when you fit larger tires. Figure out if you have a mission that can't be fulfilled with 30.5" or smaller tires. If you NEED to go larger, then you're into a cascade of mods and expense and lower gas mileage that never quits.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by janesy86 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:38 pm

Oh man! I'm soo tired and completely spaced out... getting thrown off by reading the crap on the OS lately..

But Bill caught me and like he said, it all depends on your mission.
Build Thread
janesy86
Veteran

by Mooseknuckle » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:12 pm

Ok thanks guys I appreciate it. Man if I had the money I would do it all and be done with it but that would be too easy and not realistic. Time to call Discount tire. I dont know what the best way to go about this would be because I dont have the tires,cheapest way to get them is online for me then they get shipped to an installer. I wonder if discount tire would take em back and let me replace them with the Silent Armors...Hmmm....
I don't dial 911
Mooseknuckle
Addict

by Mooseknuckle » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:17 pm

Ok I see now after reading it again I need to take some measurements.. Yeah right now I want to stay 30.5" and under.. once I can which wont be for a little while then it's mod time....I'm guessing i would have the same problem with the BFG A/T.. Worse case I go with Silent Armors for now...Cool I will post pics when all is said and done...Thanks all!!
I don't dial 911
Mooseknuckle
Addict

by Mooseknuckle » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:17 pm

Ok I saw the topics that were put up to answer tire fitting questions and I Thank You. I looked at the GY Dura Tracs specs and all other A/T tires I was looking at the 245/70R17 is 30.6" which from what was posted would mean I need to get suspension lift. Now can anyone point me in the right direction as to what exactly I need how much it will cost and where to get it. I looked on another forum and a 2.5" suspension lift will cost 120 plus shipping markmcmaster. Has anyone heard of this and is it reliable? Also if I get that from him do I have to get shocks and struts and springs right now? One more question sorry...do I have to upgrade rims right now will 17" rims be ok for right now with the Dura Tracs or will it look wrong? Thank you!
I don't dial 911
Mooseknuckle
Addict

by Gordinho80 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:23 pm

Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by Mooseknuckle » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:35 pm

Thank you that was very very helpful I appreciate it!
I don't dial 911
Mooseknuckle
Addict

by foosh » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:57 pm

Check out craigslist for tires, or go to the e-town swap meet in march.
Only White Lifted TB in Jerzey on 33's :safari:

:flex dirty: Pine Barrens Wheelin!
Build Thread http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=113
foosh
Addict

Vehicle Year: 2004

by Mooseknuckle » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:03 pm

Good idea Foosh I didnt think of that thank you!
I don't dial 911
Mooseknuckle
Addict

by Mooseknuckle » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:14 pm

I am getting new tires and when I do I'm gonna get GY Dura Tracs if I can do this...Can I put wheel adapters on to push the wheel away from the ball joint with out having to put a suspension lift on it right now? The way I see it is it would give me the room I need to put the 245/70R17 as apposed to the stock 245/65R17. I know the magic number is 30.5" and this tire is 30.6". Otherwise I will just get the Silent Armors for now...Thank you for your help.
I don't dial 911
Mooseknuckle
Addict

by Philberto » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:05 pm

Easiest way to see is find a tire store that will test-fit your tires on your wheels. Yes, you can always get wheel spacers to make the tires fit, but chances are, you might not have to. Worst-case scenario, you might have to round off the corner of the upper ball joint, but it has been discussed that 30.6 should be doable depending on tread design.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by Mooseknuckle » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:08 pm

No problem. Not rude at all I'm NEW at this. I had posted this and thought I was making myself clear because so many looked at it and moved on. My question wasn't answered so I posted again. Apologies for creating useless threads thanks for the guidance.
I don't dial 911
Mooseknuckle
Addict

by Gordinho80 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:14 pm

Topics Merged :coffee:
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer