Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

My wheel dilemma

Need new shoes? This is the place to discuss.

by itsatruck » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:44 am

In Pennsylvania, you cannot pass a vehicle inspection with wheel spacers, so lets get that out of the way now. I don't care if you have passed or your uncle hooks you up or whatever, I've looked up the inspection codes myself.

I am not personally opposed to having a second set of wheels, and running spacers. I can put the old wheels and tires on for inspection time. The problem I have is that most Trailblazer wheels start at 17", so that leaves you with the large selection of affordable 6X5.5 wheels. The problem I have with those wheels is that most of them are 0 or negative offset, which combined with 1.5" wheel spacers are going to stick out pretty far. Some of you guys are running similar setups and your vehicle is nice but it just doesn't suit my tastes. I am hoping to run 265/75/16 and those tires just aren't big enough to me to look right sticking out that far.

I have found these wheels here https://www.amazon.com/Ion-Alloy-Black-Machined-6x127mm/dp/B004IPPA2G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520436615&sr=8-1&keywords=6x127+wheels which are a 17x8 wheel in 6x5. The offset on them is 10. The listing says that they have 5 inches of backspacing, I calculate 4.89. Do you guys think I would be able to mount 265/70/17 on them without any wheel spacers? Some of you are really more familiar with all these different combinations. I know there is a plethora of information and charts on the forums (and I have been looking at them for months) but I am having trouble squeezing the trigger not knowing if they will really fit.
Instagram: @tb_overland
itsatruck
Cruiser

Name: Adam
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by itsatruck » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:11 am

Okay, I decided I am going to order a set of (4) 16" Trailblazer wheels. I wanted to have a sexy look on the truck as I never own anything nice, but oh well. They are only 265 for the four of them. I was planning on getting some Pirelli M/T but after some more research they are soft compound and are likely not to last, not good for a vehicle that will be doing across the country trips. So that brings me over to some Falken A/T. https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy- ... 3w/p/26798
itsatruck
Cruiser

by Trail X » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:59 pm

If those wheels indeed have 5 inches of backspacing, they would have been good. The information you were looking for was in the link below:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26

Though, you got a good deal on those stock wheels.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by itsatruck » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:59 pm

I was worried with the wider tires... I knew I was probably good. But finding a matching tire at the right price kept me in a better price point all around. Maybe someone else will be able to reference the thread.
itsatruck
Cruiser

by Trail X » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:26 pm

The 8" wide wheels should have been fine for anything over 255mm or so section width AFAIK.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

Return to Wheels / Tires