Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Kumho Road Venture MT KL71 vs NITTO TRAIL GRAPPLER MT

Need new shoes? This is the place to discuss.

Kumho Road Venture MT KL71 vs NITTO TRAIL GRAPPLER MT

Kumho Road Venture MT KL71
No votes
Nitto Trail Grappler MT
100%

Total votes : 2

by joemoto311 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:51 am

Reviews are pretty similar and the price difference is only 154 dollars total for 35 x 12.5 17s. I guess Nitto is now apart of toyo so these tires would be comparable and that is what a lot of reviews say. I don't really care much about road noise as long as its not obnoxious. I'm more concerned with tread life but I won't risk safety with anyone on the road and my 3 year old mudding with me. A good all around tire but I do not want any A/T tire. There is no point of running an A/T at 35s IMO. Only M/Ts that clean good. Not much snow here but that doesn't mean I won't end up in the snow somewhere. I'm very indecisive and want to order my tires sooner than later because my Radflos showed up at my door Monday. Help me decide and hopefully not make it even harder. The reviews I read were mixed between jeeps and heavy diesels so I kinda looked at the treadwear for the heavy diesels(if they get good life then Im sure I will) and performance and safety(highway and rain) on the jeeps.

I will have a full size spare and rotate it in....the kumhos are directional..

I am not sure if I can post links from other sites here but I am buying from customoffsets and used reveiws from other forums and the "offroaders" review sites.

The Kumhos
Brand: Kumho
Model: Road Venture MT
Size: 35X12.50R17
Inventory Number: 1912113
Aspect Ratio: 12.5
Inflated Diameter: 34.8
Load Index: 124
Load Range: E
Max Load Pressure: 3525@65
PLY: 10
Revs Per Mile: 608
Section Width: 35
Service Description: 124Q
Sidewall: BSW
Speed Index: Q
Tire Rim Diameter: 17
Tire Type: Mud Terrain
Tread Depth: 21
Weight: 73.3
roadventure_mt_black_top2.jpg

roadventure_mt_black_top.jpg

roadventure_mt_black_top3.jpg
roadventure_mt_black_top3.jpg (32.09 KiB) Viewed 15204 times

The Nittos
Brand: Nitto
Model: Trail Grappler
Size: 35x12.50R17LT
Inventory Number: 205-730
Aspect Ratio: 12.5
Inflated Diameter: 34.84
Inflated Width: 13.19
Load Index: 121
Load Range: E
Max Load Pressure: 3195@65
PLY: 10
Revs Per Mile: 596
Section Width: 35
Service Description: 121Q
Sidewall: Black
Speed Index: Q
Tempature: N/A
Tire Rim Diameter: 17
Tire Type: Mud Terrain
Traction: N/A
Tread Depth: 21
Tread Wear: N/A
Weight: 79.37
trailgrappler_black_top2.jpg
trailgrappler_black_top2.jpg (38.79 KiB) Viewed 15204 times

trailgrappler_black_top.jpg
trailgrappler_black_top.jpg (42.27 KiB) Viewed 15204 times

trailgrappler_black_top3.jpg
trailgrappler_black_top3.jpg (14.44 KiB) Viewed 15204 times
joemoto311
Cruiser

Name: Joe
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:49 am

The Nittos looks like they have more edges. Plus they are non-directional. Win.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by mason10198 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:58 pm

I loved my Trail Grapplers off-road, just not on the street. They performed great off pavement, but sucked on the road with alot of lift and suspension mods. They wore like crazy on the outside edges and didn't last 2 years before going bald. Although, most of that is probably due to my bad driving habits.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
mason10198

Name: Mason

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:14 pm

I would not even consider those two tires as comparable. One is a cheap basic mud tire(kuhmo) that will work, but wont handle as well or last as long. The other is a well designed and engineered mud tire built to last(Nitto) and actually handle well on and off road.

---disclaimer: I am not a Nitto fan and think there are better tires, but from these two...the Nitto are hands down a better tire.

---"They wore like crazy on the outside edges and didn't last 2 years before going bald. Although, most of that is probably due to my bad driving habits." Actually that is due to a shitty alignment or worn parts and has no reflection on the quality of the tire. I am having outer edge wear on my new tires due to needing an alignment after tie rod replacement and still having slop in the steering rack.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by joemoto311 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:45 pm

Trail X wrote:The Nittos looks like they have more edges. Plus they are non-directional. Win.

That was the direction i was going. non directional was the deciding factor

mason10198 wrote:I loved my Trail Grapplers off-road, just not on the street. They performed great off pavement, but sucked on the road with alot of lift and suspension mods. They wore like crazy on the outside edges and didn't last 2 years before going bald. Although, most of that is probably due to my bad driving habits.

you are not the first person I heard say that.

HARDTRAILZ wrote:I would not even consider those two tires as comparable. One is a cheap basic mud tire(kuhmo) that will work, but wont handle as well or last as long. The other is a well designed and engineered mud tire built to last(Nitto) and actually handle well on and off road.

---disclaimer: I am not a Nitto fan and think there are better tires, but from these two...the Nitto are hands down a better tire.

Not a nitto fan either but was trying to stay under the 2500 mark for 5 tires and wheels. Wanted what everyone does...a M/T thats good on and off the road..gotta sacrifice something

---"They wore like crazy on the outside edges and didn't last 2 years before going bald. Although, most of that is probably due to my bad driving habits." Actually that is due to a shitty alignment or worn parts and has no reflection on the quality of the tire. I am having outer edge wear on my new tires due to needing an alignment after tie rod replacement and still having slop in the steering rack.

Thanks for the responses and opinions....I was going with the nittos but I decided to go and give the couragia a try after being talked into them from my jeep buddy. For 500 dollars different, if i can get close to miles of a more expensive tire then Im good. I'll have the full size spare so if i do end up with a problem as i have read, I will have one to put on until they replace the bad tire....the reviews are actually really good for on and offroad and rain..actually better than the nittos. Im also not a nitto fan but i was trying to balance everything and i just can't with an M/T. Ill eventually do a build on here.
joemoto311
Cruiser

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:49 pm

The Couragia seem to be a go to tire for the diesel guys around here lately and I hear they wear good, but don't know of anyone really wheeling with them. Looking forward to seeing how they do for you in the dirt!
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by mason10198 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:49 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:Actually that is due to a shitty alignment or worn parts and has no reflection on the quality of the tire. I am having outer edge wear on my new tires due to needing an alignment after tie rod replacement and still having slop in the steering rack.

I had either replaced or rebuilt every frontend suspension component around the time I got the tires, and had an alignment done after every time I changed something.

I would definitely believe it wasnt a good alignment though, considering the first time I ever took it to that shop (local Tire Town) the guy told me he "couldn't align it" because there was "no way to make adjustments" on trailblazers.....

mason10198

by HARDTRAILZ » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:25 pm

Why in the //// would there have been more than a first time at that shop?
HARDTRAILZ

by joemoto311 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:09 am

HARDTRAILZ wrote:Why in the //// would there have been more than a first time at that shop?

hahaha...right!?

mason10198 wrote:
HARDTRAILZ wrote:Actually that is due to a shitty alignment or worn parts and has no reflection on the quality of the tire. I am having outer edge wear on my new tires due to needing an alignment after tie rod replacement and still having slop in the steering rack.

I had either replaced or rebuilt every frontend suspension component around the time I got the tires, and had an alignment done after every time I changed something.

I would definitely believe it wasnt a good alignment though, considering the first time I ever took it to that shop (local Tire Town) the guy told me he "couldn't align it" because there was "no way to make adjustments" on trailblazers.....

I don't understand how any "mechanic" could ever say that. That is just amazing. You should of told him that you replaced the front end suspension parts with envoy parts so you could make adjustments. That would of been my smartass comment. I usually speak without thinking when I come across ignorance and then feel bad about it later.
joemoto311
Cruiser

by mason10198 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:10 am

Yeah, amazing right? Had he never come across a GMT before? Or maybe he has, but the previous customers actually believed no adjustments were there.

That was a while ago, and I think my dad took it to them while I was on a trip. He's loyal to that shop, I think because of an old friend/family connection. I won't be using them again...

A buddy of mine and his dad just opened a new shop, and I had them align it and mount my 35s and they did a great job. 4 dismounts, 4 mounts and balances, and aligned in 2 hours.

mason10198

Return to Wheels / Tires