Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Broken wheel adapter stud

Need new shoes? This is the place to discuss.

by bljis123 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:50 am

So I have the Mark MC 1.5" wheel spacers. Centerbore makes it difficult to get tire off, so I always end up for 10 minutes kicking, pulling, cussing, bleeding until finally it breaks loose and falls on the spacers studs. Well, this caused damage to my threads on one stud. When I was putting the wheel back on and backing down(no air tool) I guess it cross threaded and stuck and the bolt came loose. Now it is stuck. How the hell do I get this off?? It's loose and I can pull in and out. So both the stud and nut turn.

wheel stud broke.jpg
Moog 14 springs with Bilstien 5125 shocks sitting on BFG KO2's
2003 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4x4
bljis123
Off-Roader

Name: Brett
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: GMC Envoy XL
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Nexus1155 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:13 pm

Couple ways it could go. If they are screw in studs just keep going until it comes out. If they are pressed in you are going to have a blast. Either shim the back of the bolt where the nut is to stop it spinning or tack it to the wheel to get the bolt off. Or. Sacrificial lamb style and have to sawzall the whole wheel and everything apart just to get that off.

I know its a pain but with those style you need to give them a whack with a mallett from the back a few times.
Nexus1155
Cruiser

Name: Nick
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: GMC Envoy XUV
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by TBYODA » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:57 pm

Nick Mark's spacer and adapters are press in studs.

Brett:
I'd say get a dremel and a cut off wheel and cut the stud off, from your picture there looks to be just enough room. Or you can burn it out with a cutting torch but you could damage the rim in the process. However since the stud is lose the spacer maybe shot because the bore is to large. I know you can get new studs from Mark for cheap. Just make sure you say spacer studs.

I would also suggest you do two things on the other wheels. get some 120 grit sand paper and clean the Centerbore on your wheels, also use anti seize. And when you kick the tire kick the top side to push it in then it should not drop on the studs just break free.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by bljis123 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:39 pm

OK thanks guys. I got some ideas to tackle this and will approach with Robert's method of removing wheels from now on.
Moog 14 springs with Bilstien 5125 shocks sitting on BFG KO2's
2003 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4x4
bljis123
Off-Roader

Name: Brett
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: GMC Envoy XL
DriveTrain: 4WD

Return to Wheels / Tires