Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

New boots for my baby

Need new shoes? This is the place to discuss.

by BC backroader » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:38 pm

I finally got the AT tires I've wanted for the truck since I bought it about 18 months ago. Canadian tire had a very good sale price on their Motomaster Total Terrain AT2s, $142.49 each, $660 CDN with all taxes and enviro fees in, for the set of 4. I had a local shop install and balance for 1/2 what Canadian tire quoted. I gained between 3/4" and 1" of ground clearance, and of course much improved traction on the trails than the all seasons that were on the truck when I bought it. A bonus benefit is that the Cobra cable chains for my GMC 3500 now fit the TB as well, though I have to cinch them up to the very last catch to get them tight enough.

My impression so far is that they hum a little at low speed, but are no louder than the old Hankook all seasons at highway speed. I'll update info after I get them out in the wet, in snow, and on the logging roads. I'm sure they'll do much better than what was on there before.
Attachments
new tires 006.jpg
new tires 001.jpg
new tires 004.jpg
New tires 37"
new tires 016.jpg
Old tires 36" to wheel arch (2.5" lift)
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5844
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brad
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by HawkeyeC25 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:32 pm

Looks like a good tread pattern! Solid center tread for good highway stability and open shoulders for clearing out snow/slush/mud! Keep us posted how you like them!
2005 Trailblazer EXT LT V8 Lifted
Build Thread
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
HawkeyeC25
Trail-Blazer

Name: Craig
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by BC backroader » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:39 pm

I got a chance to try out the new tires on Tuesday afternoon. I made a run out one of the local logging roads (write up in trips threads) for a few hours, and found that they more than met my expectations for handling that type of trail. The first 10 km are hard packed gravel, with lots of washboard and puddles, while the next 15km are not used as haul road right now, so there are washouts, and some sections have the gravel washed away, leaving a rough, rocky base. Traction was good through all of that, and the extra inch of clearance they provide was appreciated. On the way back out, now feeling better about what the rubber could handle, I pushed the envelope a bit harder, going into some of the choppy washboard corners a good bit harder than I did with the original all season tires, and was very impressed with the tracking over the rough stuff. I never got high enough to encounter snow, or got into any mud, but have done a few 100 km on wet pavement, and was pleased with the grip on that as well. The tread does have a little hum on pavement, but it doesn't seem to get louder with speed, just changes tone a little, so it's not objectionable.
Attachments
Mar8 road trip 016.jpg
more water damaged road
Mar8 road trip 013.jpg
minor creek washout
Mar8 road trip 001.jpg
Rocky road base
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5844
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brad