Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Tire pressure opinion

Need new shoes? This is the place to discuss.

by AlbertaMatt » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:50 pm

Just got BFG KO2's 6ply 265/70r17 and was wondering what tire pressure people are running in similar sized tires. looking for fuel economy and even tread wear.
AlbertaMatt
Cruiser

Name: Matt
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Jrgunn5150 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:10 pm

On my Trailblazer I have Goodyear Duratrac 255/75/17's, load Range D. I've found about 36 psi to give me a good, flat wear pattern and decent ride.

Putting a chalk mark over your tire, then driving and seeing how evenly it comes off, is a good way to check tire pressure.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Name: Jr.
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by bartonmd » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:04 pm

Assuming you got the load range E version, I have that exact same tire/size. I called BFG and gave them the tire size/load rating, and what vehicle it was going on, and they gave me the pressure. These tires take 45psi front and rear. However, I'm keeping the rears at 40psi (fronts still at 45), because it's a little lighter and they seem to have more traction and a flatter contract patch, like that.

Having said that, I just saw that yous are 6-ply, or load range C. Because of the softer sidewall, not as much pressure is needed for flat wear. I had the KO in 6-ply, and it worked out as like 32-35psi

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by hilljb » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:11 pm

I second the chalk mark idea. Also, those Duratracs are nice and they may be my next spring/summer/fall tire. They're also one of the few A/T truck tires that are allowed in various areas that require winter tires in the winter season.

Different tires react differently, and it is also going to depend a lot on how much weight you're carrying and what sort of roads you're driving. For instance, a typical light truck / SUV all-terrain tire may have a max pressure recommendation of 40 psi, whereas a 3/4-ton or 1-ton truck tire of the same size with a different load rating can have a max pressure recommendation of 80 psi. That doesn't mean that you should run them at 80 psi.

Ironically, what it does mean is that a tire with less of a load rating can wear faster if not inflated properly. A higher load rating gives the tire more stability and shape across a higher load and pressure range. At higher pressure, the center of the tread isn't going to bow out like it will on a lower load rated tire. My spring/summer/fall tires are a Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo2 (that I don't really recommend) and the max pressure for those is 40 psi. I run them at 35 psi. My winter tires are Bridgestone Blizzak W965s (that I highly recommend) and the max pressure for those is 80 psi, because they're made for light commercial trucks. I run those at 45 psi.

On a less serious note, I also run a 78% nitrogen gas blend in my tires. You can find that at a lot of service stations.
hilljb

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2003

by AlbertaMatt » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:48 am

Jrgunn5150 wrote:On my Trailblazer I have Goodyear Duratrac 255/75/17's, load Range D. I've found about 36 psi to give me a good, flat wear pattern and decent ride.

Putting a chalk mark over your tire, then driving and seeing how evenly it comes off, is a good way to check tire pressure.

Had the duratracs and loved them. The ko2s had similar if not better reviews though and after I got a 1" diameter branch poked through the sidewall and watching the ko2s stronger built sidewall plus being $30 a tire cheaper I decided to take a chance and at 38psi they feel good and run quiet.

Lots of snow on the ground but will try the chalk mark on a warmer day.
AlbertaMatt
Cruiser

Name: Matt
Vehicle Year: 2002

Return to Wheels / Tires