Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Balancing Beads?

Need new shoes? This is the place to discuss.

by Zero » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:57 pm

ok got the roptation, and beads put in this morning. ioverall they seem to work realllly well. you cant notice a time from when they are resting to when the wheel spins and they start ballancing things out. im verry happy so far.

i start my cross country trip tomorrow, so ill start a thread for that later.

ill keep everyone posted about these beads. mine are not like the ones mentioned above, i took some pics of the packaging and ill get them up tomorrow hoepfully.
Zero
Veteran

Name: Brendan
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Philberto » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:13 pm

Yes, please let us know which brand beads you purchased, and I'd also like to know, did you remove the wheel weights from your wheels? Keep us posted.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by bgwolfpack » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:45 pm

Zero wrote:ok got the roptation, and beads put in this morning. ioverall they seem to work realllly well. you cant notice a time from when they are resting to when the wheel spins and they start ballancing things out. im verry happy so far.

i start my cross country trip tomorrow, so ill start a thread for that later.

ill keep everyone posted about these beads. mine are not like the ones mentioned above, i took some pics of the packaging and ill get them up tomorrow hoepfully.
Hey Zero, have you tried them yet?
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

by Zero » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:45 pm

ok so i finaly made it to california after about 4,000 miles. And i have to say i am amazed at how well these work. the only thing i have had to keep an eye on was my tire preasure because of the major differences in temps between all the different places i have driven through.

i have no complaints so far. and its nice to know the tires are pretty much ballanced forever now. no more trips to the tire shop hahaha.

they ride great in the city or highway, 5kmh or 140kmh it doesnt seem to matter. they are def something you should all look into.

i also have an extra bag i carry around if i ever do puncture a tire and need to put some back in. :cheers:
Zero
Veteran

by bgwolfpack » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:37 pm

But you still have weights on your tires right Zero?
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Zero » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:46 pm

no, i have no weights on the tires or rim. it is all done internaly by the ballancing beads.
Zero
Veteran

by Gordinho80 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:49 pm

I'd like to see how your tires wear over an extended period of time... I smell a "Write-Up" coming.... :poke:
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida

by Zero » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:53 pm

theoreticaly they shouldnt wear any different. better or worse. because they are ballanced. wear wqill also be affected by driving style, surface, and tire preasure. so its kinda hard to blame something like that on the beads. unless your only talking about internal wear. in which case, ill be taking the tires off the rim to inspect after the road trip back home.
Zero
Veteran

by Gordinho80 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:00 pm

I'm talking about all forms of wear. Granted, exterior wear depends largely on driving style and all other things you mentioned... but it also is affected by the balancing of the tires. Since the only form of balancing is the beads, they SHOULD wear evenly because of the beads. I'd like to see if that is true.

I'd also like to see someone take a wheel without weights... place the beads in the tire, then check the balance on a machine. I have yet to see that test.
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida

by Philberto » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:19 pm

I'll do it when I get the beads... I have a friend who works for America's tire, so I'll have him check on my spare to see how they work.
Philberto
Lifer

by bgwolfpack » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:09 pm

Philberto wrote:I'll do it when I get the beads... I have a friend who works for America's tire, so I'll have him check on my spare to see how they work.

That test will answer some of the questions. A good start.

Phil could you also ask the Manager, where your friend works, what the company stance is on these.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by high-voltage » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:22 pm

This is what the web site where I bought says!

Can I put the tire on a balancer to see if it's working?

No. Dyna Beads operates on physics principles, and requires the tire assembly to be in motion against a road surface to detect the exact counterbalance position. An electronic balancer has a solid, fixed mount, and does not allow the tire to react to imbalance.
THE DECAL DUDE
The unoffical source for ORTB decals!
high-voltage
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Jeff

by bgwolfpack » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:53 pm

high-voltage wrote:This is what the web site where I bought says!

Can I put the tire on a balancer to see if it's working?

No. Dyna Beads operates on physics principles, and requires the tire assembly to be in motion against a road surface to detect the exact counterbalance position. An electronic balancer has a solid, fixed mount, and does not allow the tire to react to imbalance.

And that is BS. Simply BS.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Philberto » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:36 pm

Actually, there is some truth to this statement. My hope is that using a "road force" balancer rather than a static balancer will show that the beads are working, but it'll be interesting to see. My guess as far as the tire co's stance on the beads is that they hate anything that makes their job more difficult. Little beads they have to save when they change tires = more difficult. You should see what they say when a car comes in with a tire filled with fix-a-flat :puker:
Philberto
Lifer

by bgwolfpack » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:09 pm

I think the big question here is; Why would you want to use these? You afraid your big bad 4X4 won't look cool enough with wheel weights? :poke:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Philberto » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:51 am

Actually, there're a few reasons:

*Rocks and mud/dirt can be stuck in/on the tire tread, upsetting the wheel balance for various lengths of time.

*Bits of tread can be ripped off, causing the same problem

*Less time getting tires balanced = more time out on the trails

*Offroad tires can be notoriously hard to balance, and these allow you to balance them more effectively for highway driving.

*Clip-on wheel weights can be torn off by rocks and heavy brush, and tape wheel weights can come of as a result of mud or water.
Philberto
Lifer

by Zero » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:20 am

i think the biggest advantage is just not having to worry about re ballancing after hard trail runs, and long drives. or if you have stuborn tires, every few thousand miles.

and also like mentioned above, the clip on and stick on weights have been known to get torn off on trail rides. not often, but still, its peace of mind knowing that there isnt one there to rip off.

so to each his own. i wanted to try something new, and so far i am happy. if you like the current set up you have, great.
Zero
Veteran

by bgwolfpack » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:11 pm

I'm really glad they're working well for you Zero. I'm sure with more feedback a true feeling on these will emerge. For now just be safe and I'll be the Devils advocate. Safe travels. :)
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Zero » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:59 pm

ill leave as much feedback as possible. and u guys post whatever questions you have and ill try to answer them through experience with the product.

aside from a blow out that could possibly lead to a loss of ballancing beads, i dont think there is gona be much to complain about. althought i am interested to see what things are like when the tires are well worn and smaller and lighter then they were when i got the beads put in. and see if things are adversly affected by the change in weight and rolling resistance. or even if over time, maybe more and more beads would be required. but from what i have read, once you put them in ur good to go for the life of the tire.

when i get back home i am gona get them ballanced on a machine that applies load to the tire to simulate it driving down the road, and see just how damn good these things are aside from judging them by the "but dyno"
Zero
Veteran

by Zero » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:09 pm

here are some pics of the product i used.

Zero
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Wheels / Tires