Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

crazy question about tires.

Need new shoes? This is the place to discuss.

by razorvan » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:49 am

I hear alot of people worried about the noise of tires on highway, can someone explain why, i like the sound of the tires, that lets everyone know iam coming, lol.
razorvan
Cruiser

Name: Darin
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by The Roadie » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:56 am

Some people like to talk to passengers softly, listen to the audio system without turning it up to compensate, and carry passengers who they listen to when they complain about the road noise of the tires.

IMHO, they are compromising fools who aren't fully committed to a mission that demands aggressive tires. Compromise at your peril.

That said, given a choice between cheap MT tires that have a huge amount of road drone, and more expensive ones with computer-designed tread blocks that minimize/absorb the noise, I went with the $300 tires. Sacrifice elsewhere to afford the good ones, even if it means fewer trips. And passengers don't get to vote - I'm the captain. :finger:
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by razorvan » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:15 pm

If my pasengers dont like the noise, then they can drive there own vehicle, i have
Goodyear kevlar wrangler MT/R MS 265/70R17 on out TB and i love the sound
razorvan
Cruiser

Name: Darin
Vehicle Year: 2008

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:24 pm

Rode in a YJ with 35 inch Swamper TSL for a couple hours of highway time this week and the sound did not bother me nor the heeps owner. We could talk fine and I love the roar of swampers.

On the contrary, the TW guard dogs on my truck almost made me sell it. They were the worst sound. Gave me a headache after driving any sort of distance. People noticed the sound, even those used to big tires. Sounded like a droning alarm clock. Made my exhaust barely audible. If you want noise get them, at least in a 315....others dont seem to have the same obnoxious noise people say.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by mikekey » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:35 pm

It's just like people who can't stand loud exhaust. If I can't hear my v8 I get mad.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003

by KingBird » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:39 pm

Hell, I have one HELL of a stereo, and I can't remember the last time I turned it on. I love that small block sound...
Bravada G80 3.73 converted to selectable 4wd.
KingBird
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brian
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370

by rjwz28 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:02 am

There's a fine line between good noise and bad noise, as HARDTRAILZ alluded to

I've always mounted up quality tires on my rigs (used to run BFG ATs years ago, but for my last rig I purchased Goodyear Duratracs) so I've never had a complaint, but when I bought my Z06 it had headers and high-flow cats into straight pipes; the drone was so bad I got a headache and threw in earplugs to drive it home. I immediately replaced the axleback with titanium mufflers, which sound GREAT with the cam and headers but don't drone.
2006 Trailblazer LS (stone stock, for now)
2003 Z06, H/C/I, Halltech, Kooks: 424rwhp at 97°F
2011 6.2 Silverado CCSB 4x4, 33s, MIT, tune SOLD
rjwz28
Cruiser

Name: Ryan
DriveTrain: 4WD

by DustinC1989 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:32 pm

Its all just personal preference...

I love hearing the Camaro idling in the morning when I'm getting around.... my neighbors do not.
I don't mind road noise from tires (unless its something like Kyle mentioned), my brother in law doesn't like road noise. However he likes obnoxious loud exhaust... I don't mind loud exhaust, but its gotta sound good.
DustinC1989
Addict

Name: Dustin
Vehicle Year: 2007

by RyansTBLS » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:33 pm

I don't like a lot of engine noise because where I go I want to see the wildlife, not scare them off 3 miles away. Also I'm used to my previous car being quiet, noise for me means something is wrong. Same reason I don't like the loud tires, I don't want something to have gone so bad under the hood that it's finally louder then the tires and the radio.

That being said, on these trucks, its not such a big deal. They're fairly good at warning us before catastrophe and engine noise wouldn't warn you if it the vehicle wouldn't. Still, the quieter the better for me. Everything tied down, no rattles, nothing moving on the freeway or the curves that shouldn't be moving. :mechanic:
The problem with the Trailblazer is, people think you know what you're doing.
RyansTBLS
Addict

Name: Ryan

Return to Wheels / Tires