Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

New Tires

Need new shoes? This is the place to discuss.

by TBYODA » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:19 pm

Since we are talking new tires here. I have also been looking at the GRABBER AT2, Cooper AT3 and Fierce Attitude M/T along with debating C vs E rated tires. While I do like the looks of the Fierce Attitude M/T and they would look great on my TB. For me right now I think they are impractical with my current "mission" and the fact that I DD my TB. Thanks Kyle for valued input the other day. :salut:

Now on to the the C vs E rating, I am looking for opinions, advantages and disadvantages on both. From my research I understand that C rated tires would when aired down would "flex" over rocks more than E and could be less prone to slippage. I am thinking this would be a advantage with my current open rear. Truth, BS or little of both? Would C be prone to more side wall damage because of less ply's? :scratch:
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:34 pm

FYI: Load rating no longer indicates number of plies.

At badlands we were debating the difference and both of us that had run C felt they were a little too soft on road for our truck's weight. I had no issue with E range, but D seems to be a great combo of attributes.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by TBYODA » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:53 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:FYI: Load rating no longer indicates number of plies.
Then what can you go by now and how do you tell?

HARDTRAILZ wrote: At badlands we were debating the difference and both of us that had run C felt they were a little too soft on road for our truck's weight. I had no issue with E range, but D seems to be a great combo of attributes.
I could see what you mean with C's. My current P tires do seem to float. I am thinking that the 6 ply and 8 ply are on the way out because I don't find to many tires out there with them.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

TBYODA

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:08 pm

The load rating is printed on the tire generally. Easiest way I can tell.

I see plenty of 4, 6, 8, 10 ply tires. Now sure where you are looking but tires are generally getting less plies due to better materials.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by TBYODA » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:24 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:The load rating is printed on the tire generally. Easiest way I can tell.
I knew that but was thinking maybe there was some "new" standard because on how you reply guess not.

HARDTRAILZ wrote:I see plenty of 4, 6, 8, 10 ply tires. Not sure where you are looking but tires are generally getting less plies due to better materials.
OK maybe I should have been more specific in my statement. I am looking online and going by what they have on the two tires I am looking at. Tire CO. might only make them in only two versions say C & E or dealer might not stock the others.

TBYODA

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:29 pm

Hell most tires only come in one load range per size.

I sent you a link to help explain the load rating vs ply. Hope it helps.
HARDTRAILZ

by Cable810 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:20 pm

Kyle would you mind sharing that Link you shared with Robert?
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: 2002

by TBYODA » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:57 pm

Cable810 wrote:Kyle would you mind sharing that Link you shared with Robert?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... ?techid=55

TBYODA

by Cable810 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:35 am

My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

by Hillbillybonez » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:14 pm

So i was At the local Tire shop today and i saw these, I really like them. My son has these on his lifted Colorado and they work really well. Not sure about the TB though... Any thoughts or comments are welcome....

here's the cost chart as well....

Hillbillybonez

Name: Eric Ridenour
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD

by blazinlow89 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:20 pm

I like the look of them, as for functionality maybe someone can comment. I do know that my AT2's were about $100 less installed than the set of 4 price.

I loved the AT2's, did awesome in mud, snow rain everything I threw at them. I did not do any sand driving so I cannot comment on that. I have Pirelli Scorpion ATR's right now and while I do like them alot, they do not grab in deep mud like the AT2's did. They are however better in rain and snow, but only marginally.
blazinlow89

Name: Josh
Vehicle Year: 2004

by Cable810 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:39 pm

I've heard bad things about the Authority. I was looking at them but I couldn't really find any "good" reviews to make me pull the trigger on them. So I opted for the Grabber At2s.
My Build
Cable810
Veteran

by Wahugg » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:02 pm

Your "local tire shop' aka Walmart.... Those tires are absolute crap. So bad infract that Goodyear will not honor any sort of rebates with them, and will not warranty them. They are crappy tires made just for Walmart to sell at a cheap price.

I personally recommend Duratracs. 10/3 ply, super good in snow, great in mud and rocks, last a long time (43k on mine and have just over half tread left) and a really quite for what they are.

-Wahugg
Wahugg
Addict

Name: Wahugg
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by Hillbillybonez » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:30 pm

Wahugg wrote:Your "local tire shop' aka Walmart.... Those tires are absolute crap. So bad infract that Goodyear will not honor any sort of rebates with them, and will not warranty them. They are crappy tires made just for Walmart to sell at a cheap price.

I personally recommend Duratracs. 10/3 ply, super good in snow, great in mud and rocks, last a long time (43k on mine and have just over half tread left) and a really quite for what they are.

-Wahugg

Actually your right the pictures are from walmart And the "Local Tire Shop" I was referring to was Rainbow Tire In Mastown West Virginia, In which i did Not mention as SOME folks tend to take a fit when you mention NON sponsored vendors ETC. My friend PC Who own Rainbow tire Said that Walmart had them cheaper, So i snapped a pic while I was there.

wahugg, the Duratracs Who makes them? I did a search and couldnt find them? Any help would be greatful....

Thanks
Hillbillybonez

by mikekey » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:36 pm

Goodyear makes Duratracs, and I'll be honest, don't buy your tires in a store. These days it's an expensive proposition. You're almost guaranteed to be paying additional markup that you won't' find online.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by The Roadie » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:52 pm

And maybe those crappy corporate owned forums care about certain vendors. This site is enthusiast owned and survives on individual donations from members. So we always identify our vendors, good or bad.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Hillbillybonez » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:56 pm

mikekey wrote:Goodyear makes Duratracs, and I'll be honest, don't buy your tires in a store. These days it's an expensive proposition. You're almost guaranteed to be paying additional markup that you won't' find online.

Thanks, I usually get tires from Rainbow tire, but PC lacks any road/trail tire but these. What he does carry a lot of are true mud tires since Mud bogs here are like nascar lol Any certain place on line to look? Since I wanna get something that will keep me on the trails and not hung up. Right now I have 31X10 50 Micky thompsons and they are nice sound good on black top and so FAR havent left me stuck on trails, but as they are a "Mud" tire they suck on wet roads and snow lol
Last edited by Hillbillybonez on Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hillbillybonez

by Hillbillybonez » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:03 am

The Roadie wrote:And maybe those crappy corporate owned forums care about certain vendors. This site is enthusiast owned and survives on individual donations from members. So we always identify our vendors, good or bad.

Thanks man, Im really diggin it here and trust me As a toyota Off road owner and supporter ( as is my wife ) We belong a forum where they will actually ban/toss you off for a simple mention of a vendor lol
Hillbillybonez

by blazinlow89 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:10 am

mikekey wrote:Goodyear makes Duratracs, and I'll be honest, don't buy your tires in a store. These days it's an expensive proposition. You're almost guaranteed to be paying additional markup that you won't' find online.

Not always true, been looking for a set of 2 tires to match the back set on the Avalanche. Mr. Tire has 2 for 378 installed. Cheapest I can find online is $167 shipped each. After install it will be about the same.
blazinlow89

Name: Josh

by Wahugg » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:29 am

Hillbillybonez wrote:
Actually your right the pictures are from walmart And the "Local Tire Shop" I was referring to was Rainbow Tire In Mastown West Virginia, In which i did Not mention as SOME folks tend to take a fit when you mention NON sponsored vendors ETC. My friend PC Who own Rainbow tire Said that Walmart had them cheaper, So i snapped a pic while I was there.

wahugg, the Duratracs Who makes them? I did a search and couldnt find them? Any help would be greatful....

Thanks

Duratracs have a great reputation through several members here on this board, and many others. To help you out, I've screen shoted what it looks like if you simply google 'duratrac'.

Also, unless something big has changed, Walmart is the exclusive dealer of Wrangler Authority. That's how they are so cheap and why they are the only tire Goodyear doesn't warranty.

-Wahugg
Wahugg
Addict

Name: Wahugg
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

PreviousNext

Return to Wheels / Tires