Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Trying to decide need input

Need new shoes? This is the place to discuss.

by Kazootom » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:46 am

I have a 2004 envoy with the stock 245/65-17 tires that are worn out. need to replace.
I use this truck as a extra. In the winter it is used more to pull 2 place snow mobile trailer and take to upper michigan to ski. I do use the truck in the summer for pulling a 19 ft boat. I have installed a 1.75" lift in the front and have removed the air ride and installed standard coils with air bags. The truck sets high and level.
The standard tires look dorky because of the large air space in the wheel wells.
Here is my question:
Do you add the 1.5" spacers and go with a larger tire? If so what size? I dont want to trim or cut. This truck will never be off road more then two tracks or possably sand dunes.

Or

Do I install the largest tire with out adapters which I belive is 265/65-17. My plan is to keep on stock rims. This should just get under the ball joint.

I need help from people how have tackled this and I realy would like photos with both options.
Please give me your ideas and picks.
Thanks in advance.
Kazootom
Cruiser

Name: Kazootom
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD

by jonbo2002 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:02 am

what lift do you have that is 1.75"??? I do alot of 2 track driving too and will be lifting and putting 265/75-16's I will be needing spacers. The reason is I bottom out alot when I go up north and will do driving more trails once I move up there. But even on the 2 track I need more lift from time to time.
jonbo2002
Addict

Name: Jon
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by JorDaneeKey » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:44 pm

Your best bet is to look through the build threads or use the tire size chart as a guide. There you'll find pictures of what others have done with specs and you can make your own decision.
As told by the other half: Build Thread
JorDaneeKey
Addict

Name: JorDanee
Vehicle Year: 2003

by jonbo2002 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:51 pm

still wondering who's 1.75 lift he has on his 4WD. the only ones I know of are over the strut
jonbo2002
Addict

Name: Jon
Vehicle Year: 2002

by navigator » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:17 pm

Really I think you are the only one that can answer. Do you need the extra ground clearance for what you do?
What gears do you have?
Let's say you have 3.42 gears, if you move up to 265/70/17 will you have enough gear to pull your boat and snow mobiles up the hills and through the snow etc without overheating your tranny?

I live in flat country and with 32s and 3.42 gears I have seen my tranny over 220 a few times towing my 18 ft bass boat and it really hasn't gotten hot here yet.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

by Kazootom » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:17 pm

The answer to your question I have a 1.75" front leveling kit made by Suspension max. This aluminum block goes inside the strut assemble on top. Youare basicly preloading the spring. After installation it reaised the front of the truck measureing from the wheel well lip to the ground 1.85 of added height. The rear air bags were no longer good so I removed them and replaced with Moog replacement coils. I all so added the airlift inside coil bags. This truck is used for towing and as a spare daily driver for my wife when the weather is bad. ( Leave her 2012 Honda Civic in the garage). This envoy will see approx 6,000 miles of use. I did look at other peoples builds and have come up with great ideas. My biggest concern is wheel adapters. and going to a little over size tire and rubbing.
Kazootom
Cruiser

Name: Kazootom
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by navigator » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:39 pm

with your lift and spacers you can likely fit the 265/70/17s with wheel spacers.
You will likely have to trim/massage the fender liner but they should fit.
If they are a little tight you can get a top spacer from MarkMC to give another 1/2 of lift in the front.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

by v7guy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:07 pm

I think the biggest trouble with giving advice is that you have a fairly atypical setup. I think a 265 75 or a 265 70 with spacers and a smidge of trimming at the front bumper.
Gearing is also going to come into play with the towing you do and you might need to put on a cooler.

None of this stuff is a terribly big deal, and is pretty simple/easy to do in the context of the average mods done on this board.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by HawkTown28 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:43 pm

If you do decide to go with just the largest tire size possible and no spacers, then 265/65/R17 should fit no problem. that is basically a 30.56 inch tire. I have had three different types of tires installed all 265/70/R16 (basically a 30.6 inch tire) on my trailblazer and my parents trailblazer. They all fit, so a 265/65/R17 (30.56 inch) should fit no problem.
Early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies.
HawkTown28

Name: Michael

Return to Wheels / Tires