Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Need opinions.

Need new shoes? This is the place to discuss.

by foosh » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:33 am

Theres enough tread on them now from what I remember, and down by him people buy tires for their purely offroad rigs... Its his decision to sell and the buyers desicion to make sure they suite his/ her needs, and I doubt that he'd sell anything that could be harmful to the buyer.
Only White Lifted TB in Jerzey on 33's :safari:

:flex dirty: Pine Barrens Wheelin!
Build Thread http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=113
foosh
Addict

Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by MrSmithsTB » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:47 am

JamesDowning wrote:
foosh wrote:His current tires might not pass inspection, and he's got an opportunity to make money or come out even with better tires that he won't have to worry about when he goes to the dmv... I think his ideas are pretty valid here.

Wait, so his current tires may not pass inspection, but you're trying to sell them to an unsuspecting bystander?

How much tread do they actually have left? Isn't the rule something about Lincoln's head on a penny?

Not really unsuspecting. Plenty of people with backwoods rigs that would have use for these for at least another year or two. I'm not going to call these things A1 and expect to make hundreds on them. I was just hoping for enough to cover the ATs and mount/balance. That way, what I have towards new tires already can stay there and maybe a little extra can get thrown in towards rims, too. I do have 2 1/2 mos until inspection. And another 45 days after that, if I fail, to replace them. So, with four months total, I am not in a time crunch. I'd say three of the tires will get through without a problem. One is in question. They still perform excellently off road and safely on the street.

If this sale cooperates, I might run the ATs, just for winter. Hell, I might even buy them just to flip them onto Ebay. Could make a nice profit.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by Trail X » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:21 pm

So your old M/Ts are not good enough for road, but fine for trails. (That seems like it would be completely backwards... a bald M/T is pretty useless on a muddy trail.)

Yet you can sell the worn down M/Ts for more than the new, bigger, A/Ts would cost + mounting? Something doesn't seem to add up. Are you running a pawn/swindle shop? :scratch:
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by MrSmithsTB » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:43 pm

No, no, James. You've got it all wrong, dude. You are obviously not familiar with NJ inspection. The tires are fine, but 1 of them will have problems running through the station. I want to buy new tires all at once, and those are $200 a piece+shipping/mounting/balancing. Even the less expensive Federals are $130/ea+. I don't have that kind of cash to spare on rubber right now. So rather than run my tires until I can get all of the new ones and risk failing inspection, my thought is to get the used ATs for winter while I can still sell the MTs with good conscience. Being able to make something on the deal is just a result of being unemployed and having the time to search for really good bargains. The great thing about that is it allows me to keep the same time frame for new replacements. Another option is to replace in pairs. Unfortunately, that will either force me to purchase the Firestones for whatever the going rate is at the time, or run different brands until I get two more to match whatever new ones I get, which I would like to stay away from.

Note that the ATS in question are not "new". They are indeed a used tire and I am only considering them for use for a season or two.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

by janesy86 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:29 pm

If your tires will pass right now why don't you just go get your TB inspected early like this week so it passes and save up for new tires.. I don't personally think it's worth getting AT's and then new tires later on, just too much in the mount/balance to justify in my eyes. I mean didn't you practically just get the Firestones?? Doesn't make sense getting so many cheap used sets when you have to replace so often. I'd just wait it out for brand spankin' new tires.
Build Thread
Back to stock, had fun while it lasted...
janesy86
Veteran

Name: Nick Janes
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by MrSmithsTB » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:31 pm

janesy86 wrote:If your tires will pass right now why don't you just go get your TB inspected early like this week so it passes and save up for new tires.. I don't personally think it's worth getting AT's and then new tires later on, just too much in the mount/balance to justify in my eyes. I mean didn't you practically just get the Firestones?? Doesn't make sense getting so many cheap used sets when you have to replace so often. I'd just wait it out for brand spankin' new tires.

That's actually a really good idea.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

by foosh » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:51 pm

I found what the federals really look like... Probably an awsome off-road tire, but i don't think i'd ever drive these onroad... they look like they'd be the noisiest tire ever.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-Rover-1965-LAND-ROVER-SERIES-II-a-88-EXPEDITION-VEHICLE_W0QQitemZ180428967370QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item2a02678dca

foosh
Addict

by MrSmithsTB » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:55 pm

As aggressive as mine. And they are noisy as hell once you hit 45. :fro: I am willing to bet it is hard to get stuck with those. All the more reason to get them. I got the guy under $100 for the ATs, btw. Still not sure.
Last edited by MrSmithsTB on Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

by bgwolfpack » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:03 pm

The least I could find them for is $115.00 per. At that price for a very serious off road capable tire seems like a good trade off for the road noise, especially if you are using them for what the are intended for. 2 cents
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by MrSmithsTB » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:09 pm

bgwolfpack wrote:The least I could find them for is $115.00 per. At that price for a very serious off road capable tire seems like a good trade off for the road noise, especially if you are using them for what the are intended for. 2 cents

I'm looking at $125ea for those feds in my size. Looks like a winner to me. <$100 is for the set of 4 ATs to ride out the winter with.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

by bgwolfpack » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:24 pm

Yeah, your running 285s. I was looking at 265s.

When you get these please keep an update for us. :)
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by MrSmithsTB » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:04 pm

I know all of you actually reading this thread think I am crazy, and I am. :safe: Taking into account all of you words, and reading all of the crap that came out of my head, I have decided to stay away from the ATs. It is not worth the time, effort, and money involved. Foosh and irishboy02 know my MTs more than get the job done. I will run them until I get the Federals, which I am pushing up on the priority list. So, thank you for humoring me. :friday:
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

by foosh » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:08 pm

Dude you're gonna walk all over us in mud with those tires... till i get my new ones in the spring or summer! just read up on the sidewall of them, the thing i love about pro comps and the km2's is that the side walls are really thick. The Pro comps are practically puncture proof, which can come in handy if we hit a nasty root in the mud pits. But overall those Federals seem to be pretty good.

foosh
Addict

Previous

Return to Wheels / Tires