Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

265/275/285

Need new shoes? This is the place to discuss.

by navigator » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:02 pm

I have a great debate going on in my head right now.
I am getting ready to get new tires but with 3.42 gears I need to stay 32 and under.
I was planning to run a 265/75/16. I can get the Toyo Open Country AT2 locally for about $650 OTD. This tire reviews well and is a great price and would likely meet all my current needs well. If I run the BFG AT KO in this size it would be roughly $900 OTD.

Most of my offroading is beach sand or around the edges of muddy fields.
In my case, wider is better.

I had thought about running a 275/70/16 which is about 1/2 inch wider but also 1/2 inch shorter which would be roughly 1/4 inch less ground clearance. If I run this size I would likely run the BFG AT KO at about $950 OTD. I'm thinking the 1/4 inch of ground clearance really isn't a big deal to gain 1/2 more width.

I have also looked into a 285/70/16. About the only tire I can find in that size is the Nitto Trail Grappler. They are little taller than the 265 at 31.9 but a good bit wider. They are also a good bit more expensive at about $1100 OTD.

I seem to find all 3 tires review well and while I am cheap at heart I'm thinking these tires will likely last me 3-4 years so it might be worth it to get the larger tire even if they are a good bit more expensive.

Any thoughts?
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by mikekey » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:32 pm

retracted :finger:
Last edited by mikekey on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by navigator » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:45 pm

there aren't a lot of options in the 285/70/16. I think that is one reason they are so pricey, that and they are Nitto's which are usually on the high end.
I'll look for more reviews to see, I think the site I was reading all the reviews from was the dura-max forum. I would think if those heavy trucks give good reviews they might fair pretty well on our platform.

The other Nitto tread designs seem to have poor wear reviews and high noise but these seemed ok.

I'll keep digging.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by navigator » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:59 pm

BTW, I just found that the Toyo Open Country MT makes the 285/70/16 in a similar price range, possibly a little cheaper. That might be an option as well.
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by Cable810 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:24 pm

When I ordered my Grabbers the Rep I talked with said he had the Nittos and he says they are awsome on the rocks. Said they stick to the rocks really well. FYI
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Opeth » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:30 pm

Cooper discoverer STT, I've got about 4k on mine and no regrets and still look brand new.

http://Www.treaddepot.com

$194/ tire in 265/75r16
Opeth
Addict

Name: Cody

by v7guy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:30 pm

Regear and get 315s? :mrgreen:
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:12 pm

265 for 650 and spend the additional money on other mods. Those ought to do all you want and the size is common if you ever need to find a replacement far from home.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle

by navigator » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:04 pm

Kyle, that was my original plan but I would expect that given the marginal difference in height a 265 would work as a spare in a pinch.

Using the funds for other mods is an idea as well.

I'm not sure I am sold on the TOYO AT2's though. I think I want something with a little more bite. They seem to be similar to my Maxxis which were fine but I was never 100% confident in mud with them. If I go with a more aggressive tire I'm getting close to the $900 range even with the 265.
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by Wahugg » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:24 pm

Toyo AT2's a are perfectly good AT tire. They are in use for all the farm trucks, and they get them through about 90% of what a farm can throw at them. The only 10% where there are issues is trying to go across a barren dirt field after good rain. I'm sure my Duratracks and even some MT's will have a hard time crossing that too.

-Wahugg
Wahugg
Addict

Name: Wahugg
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by navigator » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:00 pm

good info, thanks Wallace.
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by navigator » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:52 pm

one other note to add, those Trail Grapplers are like 63lbs each. That seems to be 6lbs+heavier than even 285/75/16s.
It is also over 10lbs heavier than a lot of the 265's I have seen.
Does tire weight make that much difference in gas mileage and performance? I know a meaty 10ply tire is going to be heavy but the Nitto just seems extra heavy. I've also looked at a couple of places so it isn't like a typo or anything.
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:35 pm

Heavy tires make a big difference.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle

by navigator » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:16 pm

thanks Kyle, I think I'll go with the 265's unless I find a deal on the 275s.
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by Roofy O » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:01 pm

Hey! have you ever thought of the terra grapplers from nitto? i have so far 12k on mine (255/70R/17) (a little above 31") and they still look and feel about above 90% tread! Their the only size and tire ill ever put on my vehicle from now on because im trying to keep my vehicle a hybrid between offroad and street more a less the jack of trades and their most agressive looking AT tire in my opinion haha. Im the only one in my area that drives an envoy and everyone elses mainly drives trucks and like you said above with nitto tires that guys have said that the trail grapplers wear quick but i only believe that happens because since the weight of the truck with or without a lift and they probably drive highway all the time and dont even mud with them and just have them for looks haha also they may have put on the wrong specific/size tire AND even overfilled them. I would give the Terra/Trail/Mud grapplers a try because your TB/Voy dosent weight as much as truck! So less pressure on the tires, and stay with nitto because their my favourite brand and they look the best to me! After them id go with Toyo, BFGoodrich or Goodyear!
Im 17, So am I the youngest trailvoy enthuasiast?

My Voy: https://www.facebook.com/DukesGardiner? ... =1&theater
Roofy O
Cruiser

Name: Danny Gardiner
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by navigator » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:19 pm

I went with the Toyo's, I'm impressed with them for an AT. I'll get some pics up this week. My dealer said that Toyo makes the Nittos, unsure if there is any truth to that. The Nittos seem to usually have poor reviews on tread life and noise and they seem to run about 10lbs heavier than similar tires in other brands. I'm glad you like them though. I think I'll like these Toyo's. A 55k treadlife is nice as well!
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by Roofy O » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:50 am

I would want to try those out dont get me wrong, and if you say that toyo owns them then that intises me to give them a go! But what my question is i do still have the stock transmission and 3.42 the stock setting? (inches/mm) if so i have it and what would be the biggest tire size i can go before i can cause serious harm to my transmission? (i plan acourse to get an aftermarket one later on in life) haha cause one of friends and i know this isnt a TV/Voy but he bought a lifted a 2001 chevy silverado with 37" tires BUT with the stock TM and one day he was climbing a steep hill on the highway and his 3rd gear wrecked on him haha
Im 17, So am I the youngest trailvoy enthuasiast?

My Voy: https://www.facebook.com/DukesGardiner? ... =1&theater
Roofy O
Cruiser

Name: Danny Gardiner
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by fishsticks » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:59 am

11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by mikekey » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:04 am

I take my original comment back. It turns out the Nitto Terra Grapplers are garbage. They're more like an AT. I was mixing it up with the Nitto Trail Grapper which is an MT and has rave reviews from a lot of folks. It's actually the tire I ended up going with over the BFG.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003

by navigator » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:29 am

I saw good reviews on the Trail Grappler MT.
Danny, most folks on here would agree that the 265/75/16 is about as big as you want to go with 3.42 gearing.
Search for RPO codes and you can find out more info.
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Next

Return to Wheels / Tires