Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Wheel spacers

Need new shoes? This is the place to discuss.

by 2000sdime » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:44 pm

Does anyone know who carries a 1/2 or 1/4 inch spacer, I've looked on jegs and summit but I've only found them for the 6/5.5 lug patten, reason I wanna run a small spacer is I've decided to run 245/70r17 and that only leaves about 1/4inch of clearance to the ball joint and I'd like to have that extra little bit of clearance for comfort any help on finding these would be great
02 Trailblazer LTZ (Stock)
2000sdime

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by fishsticks » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:44 pm

2000sdime wrote:Does anyone know who carries a 1/2 or 1/4 inch spacer, I've looked on jegs and summit but I've only found them for the 6/5.5 lug patten, reason I wanna run a small spacer is I've decided to run 245/70r17 and that only leaves about 1/4inch of clearance to the ball joint and I'd like to have that extra little bit of clearance for comfort any help on finding these would be great

No one to my knowledge, you would have to get them custom machined. For that money, buy a set of adapters that will grow with you.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by bgwolfpack » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:06 pm

Half inch? Will you change studs also?
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by TexTrail » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:53 pm

I could possibly plasma cut some for you. Send me dimensions and info in a pm.
TexTrail

Name: Matt
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 2WD

by 2000sdime » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:25 pm

fishsticks wrote:
2000sdime wrote:Does anyone know who carries a 1/2 or 1/4 inch spacer, I've looked on jegs and summit but I've only found them for the 6/5.5 lug patten, reason I wanna run a small spacer is I've decided to run 245/70r17 and that only leaves about 1/4inch of clearance to the ball joint and I'd like to have that extra little bit of clearance for comfort any help on finding these would be great

No one to my knowledge, you would have to get them custom machined. For that money, buy a set of adapters that will grow with you.

Yeah that might be my best bet cuz I've searched all over and eventually I want the lift and 32's but I'm in desperate need of some new rubber so I'm gonna be ridin stock height with slightly larger tires
2000sdime

by navigator » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:40 am

fishsticks wrote:..... For that money, buy a set of adapters that will grow with you.

:Iagree:

Mike Barton(as well as others) ran that size for awhile, he might still be running them.
I expect he has beat on them more than most.
Here is his build thread, I expect he will chime in.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1477

If your goal is 32's, either go ahead and get the 1.5 spacers and run them or just wait until you need them.
Also, if you keep your eyes on the classified ads(here, GMTN and trailvoy) you can occasionally find a set at a steal.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris

by The Roadie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:28 pm

1) 1/4" clearance should be fine except for the occasional pebble that might try to get wedged in there.

2) Some folks advise against wheel spacers in general but we pooh-pooh them because unless you neglect to torque things down, we don't tend to break studs. And rechecking torque RELIGIOUSLY is part of everybody's safety ritual.

3) That said, I've never been a fan of what I call wheel SHIMS, which are the thin (1/4" usually max) spacers that don't have their own second set of studs. These re-use the hubs original studs, and the technical issue is that they stretch the stud more than the designed distance for the same torque. 1/2" additional thread to handle 1/2" shims would make this effect even worse. Deformed studs are weaker than designed. I might support this idea if you upgraded to 14mm studs.

4) If you want clearance, get gutsy and go for real spacers. Commit to the mission.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by navigator » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:35 pm

The Roadie wrote:.... And rechecking torque RELIGIOUSLY is part of everybody's safety ritual.....

I just re-torqued mine for the first time on Saturday. I had 3 lug nuts that were maybe a 1/4 turn from back to torque but the rest were all good.

The other advantage(with mine being hub and wheel centric) is one of the rear wheels was kind hard to get off and I was able to address that in the garage vs on the side of the road or on the trail.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris

by KE7WOX » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:31 pm

The Roadie wrote:because unless you neglect to torque things down, we don't tend to break studs. And rechecking torque RELIGIOUSLY is part of everybody's safety ritual.

3) That said, I've never been a fan of what I call wheel SHIMS, which are the thin (1/4" usually max) spacers that don't have their own second set of studs. These re-use the hubs original studs, and the technical issue is that they stretch the stud more than the designed distance for the same torque. 1/2" additional thread to handle 1/2" shims would make this effect even worse.

Yep, that's how I broke 2 studs on the hub. I neglected to do the 50-100 mile retorqueing after installation. But then last week I noticed one broken stud on my brother's Yukon and another one that felt like it was just about to go. Good thing it happened to me and not him, since he probably wouldn't have noticed until the wobble got really bad.

And some tire places will not work on vehicles that have only shims. My local place said it was ok if I had actual spacers as long as I signed a line on the invoice that said that I had aftermarket mods that could break and I was responsible. They said if I had shims then they would only work on them up to a certain thickness. I assume Discount wouldn't work with either one.

I also recall a story that someone had the 1.25" spacers that required grinding of the studs, didn't do it and bad things happened.
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Name: Felipe G
Vehicle Year: 2004

by 2000sdime » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:08 pm

Thanks for all the helpful info guys, this is probably one of the best forums I've ever joined, very informative,helpful people, quick responses to posts etc. etc. thanks again
2000sdime

by 2000sdime » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:09 pm

Ill be sure to post pics once I get the tires put on
2000sdime