Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Where would 265's rub?

Need new shoes? This is the place to discuss.

by Katama7 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:08 pm

Hey guys, great forum and have been learning a lot.

2008 Trailblazer. Looking at new tires and have decided on MT/Rs. Unfortunately I'm in a bit of a rush as my current tires are way too worn to be safely driving in the snow this winter. I have been researching a lot of build threads, the Lift/Tire size chart, and the Max tire size sticky, but still have a question about what will fit.

Been debating going for the 265/70/17's MT/R's over 245/70/17's. I have Fred's 1.5" spacers on the way, but want to forgo the suspension lift until my power train warranty expires at 100K.

All information I've seen so far states that you need spacers and a 2" lift to run 265/70/17's. Does anyone know where the 265's will hit or rub if they are mounted with spacers, but no lift? Anyone try it? Think you could get away with it for a little while?

My only real Offroading consists of driving on the beach in the summer, so having the 265's would be an advantage in having to air down less, or possibly not at all. Occasionally I do bottom out the factory suspension when some of Sand roads get whoop d' doo's in them.

Thanks for the help,
Jeff
Katama7

Name: Jeff
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by The Roadie » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:45 pm

They will hit a rocker panel mounting tab and bolt at the rear side of the wheel well, and may bash into the top of the wheel well opening sheet metal if you compress the suspension when the wheels are turned. Depending on your tolerance for ugly fenders and sheet metal damage, that may not be an issue. But that pproblem may not happen really until you get 265/75-17s. 70 profile may not be so bad.

Don't think anybody tried to do that without a lift. You could be the pathfinder. Let us know if you need to do that, and take pics.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by TexTrail » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:45 pm

If its a little too snug of a fit for you you'll just need to add the lift. It's a win if it works and a win if you have to lift it. The trailblazer lift is the easiest I've ever put on. The springs compress easily with a rental compressor from auto zone. I made my lift kit for $87. Z71 Tahoe springs off eBay $70 shipped. Made front spacer my self. I can weld and access to a fab shop but if you had a drill press and cut off wheel or a friend that works with metal or anything like that you could do the same or watch here and other boards for used lift parts for the front only. There are lots of options if they fit too tight.
TexTrail

Name: Matt
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 2WD

by DirtyBacon04 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:57 pm

TexTrail wrote:If its a little too snug of a fit for you you'll just need to add the lift. It's a win if it works and a win if you have to lift it. The trailblazer lift is the easiest I've ever put on. The springs compress easily with a rental compressor from auto zone. I made my lift kit for $87. Z71 Tahoe springs off eBay $70 shipped. Made front spacer my self. I can weld and access to a fab shop but if you had a drill press and cut off wheel or a friend that works with metal or anything like that you could do the same or watch here and other boards for used lift parts for the front only. There are lots of options if they fit too tight.

Can we please see a pic of how you made it? What material did you use?
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by TexTrail » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:14 am

Mine is 2wd so I did a ready lift copy because I don't have to worry about cv angles. I didn't take any pre install pics of the part but it looks like the ready lift. I used 3" Dom from the drive shaft shop cut 1" long and 3/16" plate for the upper and lower mount. After a little more research I figured out an inside coil over spacer that would have been better but I'm satisfied with what I did. I CNC plasma cut the mounting plates for mine. I just copied this design as close as I could from the picture.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356840831.047489.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356840831.047489.jpg (11.19 KiB) Viewed 7040 times

I really am sorry I don't have pics. It was kind of a rush job my new struts came in way faster than I thought and I didn't have the time to take many pics.

I might be persuaded to cut some out but I won't sell I lift kit and I need to know the hole size for the splined studs. I just used bolts.

My cost break down is
$70 z71 springs
$17 3" Dom tubing 1'
$0 plasma cut mounting plates
$0 welding time
TexTrail

by Katama7 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:55 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies. So I ended up chickening out..... Went with the MT/Rs 245/70/17's. Between snow getting deep here, a nail in one of my old tires, and not wanting to lift till I hit 100,000 miles.... Figure the 245/70's were the way to go. That and with the 265's $45 more each.... It was kinda a big gamble to take if they didn't fit.

So for the record, 245/70/17's will fit on a 2008 trail blazer without any modification. Of course wishing I had the 265's, but the 245's look ok. Will post a pic tomorrow.

All that being said I now have a brand new, unmounted set of Fred's 1.5" spacers for sale in the classified section.....

Thanks for the help,
Jeff
Katama7

Name: Jeff
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD

by TexTrail » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:36 pm

Without spacers 265/65 17s fit but only a few companies make them. I guess it's too late now anyway.
TexTrail

by 2000sdime » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:00 pm

Can you post a pic of your TB to give me an idea what it looks like with the 245/70r17's cuz I was thinking about going with that size or going with the 255/65r17 just haven't decided yet
02 Trailblazer LTZ (Stock)
2000sdime

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

Return to Wheels / Tires