Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Wide or Narrow tire?

Need new shoes? This is the place to discuss.

Do you prefer a wide or narrow tire?

Wide Tire
69%
Narrow Tire
31%

Total votes : 26

by bartonmd » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:09 am

HARDTRAILZ wrote:True. I may be used to poorer snow performance. I also ditched the brand new at tires knowing they have underperformed for my needs Offroad in the one past. We just don't get enough snow around here for me to base my tire selection on that. They generally plow what we do get right away anyway.

Our minivan does have blizzak snow tires but I don't really care for their performance without snow and we have literally driven it in snow once. I wont replace the snow tires for it. I can't justify having two sets of tires with our winters

For you, I agree. This is exactly what we're talking about... Everything is a trade-off for something else, and everybody has to make the decisions about what is more important to them, and their needs. I also sacrificed snow performance on my truck, to have a bigger footprint on wet ground when loaded, but kept the AT pattern to try and make up for the bigger footprint. You ditched the AT pattern for the MT, because you aren't as concerned about snow performance as you are mud performance. Totally understandable, for your uses.

You live in a very suburban area that gets plowed, and you go from there to downtown, for work. You also work for the state, who does call off work for snow emergencies (for non-essential personel), where I am expected to be there no matter what, or take a vacation day. Your wife is/was/will be again a school teacher, and they don't go to work if the roads are bad (My mom rarely had to worry about it, as well). Because of these, your reasons are completely justified (not that you have to justify them to me or anybody but yourself).

I commute from my rural home, 7 miles that are usually unplowed in the morning, then go around Indy, then go up the worst stretch of highway in the state, I-65 in the fields, to my semi-rural workplace. This winter has been unusually warm, but last winter, the last 3 miles to my house were basically snow/ice covered for a month and a half, and I-65 was snow covered and/or icy probably 15-16 days (I only get 10 vacation days). I won't put snow tires on my truck or Trailblazer, but I'll keep AT tires on them that are good in the snow. I am going to buy snows for my car, again, when these are worn out. They (Winterforce) have lasted me like 5 winters, now, on 2 different cars, and they actually do perform well on the road, without snow. They cost me $55 per tire (on wheels I got for free), which works out to $44 a year, and they aren't worn out yet... So basically, if they save me from taking 1 vacation day a year for snow, they've 3x paid for themselves that year (which they have every year but this one, so far).

The Michelin X-Ice on the Neon my wife used to have did what you're talking about, where they sort of made me uneasy driving them on the dry, because they would flex and squirm so much on heavy braking and cornering. They were the main reason I went with the Winterforce for my car.

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:03 am

When I had a 75 mile each commute from SE IN to downtown Indy, including 8 miles of backroads I only used 2 vacation days in two years driving a 6 speed Trans Am with standard 10 inch wide tires. Just took a bit longer and smart driving...planned braking, easy acceleration, smooth cornering, but doable.

In 5 years the state has never given me a day off for weather. If I miss I get to burn a vacation day like anyone else.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by bartonmd » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:44 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:When I had a 75 mile each commute from SE IN to downtown Indy, including 8 miles of backroads I only used 2 vacation days in two years driving a 6 speed Trans Am with standard 10 inch wide tires. Just took a bit longer and smart driving...planned braking, easy acceleration, smooth cornering, but doable.

In 5 years the state has never given me a day off for weather. If I miss I get to burn a vacation day like anyone else.

No thanks... I don't mind doing that out in the country, but on 67-465-65 with all the traffic in the mornings, and all the idiots, I had several near misses just barely being able to stop when somebody spun out or rear ended somebody in front of me; so I finally got them for my car, when my spare/tow rig was a Caprice, before the TB or truck... They're cheap enough, and last long enough, I just do it and be done with it... Makes my summer tires last longer, and allows me to get better 3-season tires for rain and such.

Really? I thought even with the part you work in, since you aren't doing anything with weather work, they'd tell you not to come in, in a snow emergency, like the IDEM and admins? Pretty sure IDEM got a day or 2 off in the last couple years.

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:54 pm

Nope. Few days I was one of just a few here and one day they came around at 3 and said we could leave early w pay but that got me 45 min pay. We can choose not to come in in snow emergency but it requires vacation or personal day to be paid.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by navigator » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:03 pm

I love to get snow once or twice a year. I'm glad we don't get it often!
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
DriveTrain: 4WD

by v7guy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:30 pm

The misses says wider is better, but all I've got is the little 265s. They have seemed to do well in the little bit of snow we've had. Not sure that I would go with a wide 315 at this point, but maybe a 285... kinda wish I did a 285 to begin with.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by Philberto » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:23 am

djthumper wrote:Only 2 tires are made in 255/85/16 and comes up at a 33" tire. I don't know if I would want to make a trip someplace with that odd of a size. I was looking around the 32" tires.

Actually, if you look around, you can find more than 2 tires currently made in that size. Ones that I know of are:

Cooper Discoverer S/t

BFG TA KM2

Toyo Mud Country

Maxxis Bighorn

This is likely to be my next tire size, since they're almost 34" in most brands' models, and they're quite a bit cheaper than 285/75/16s.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by v7guy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:24 am

I think one of the biggest concerns is making sure you have a local supply where you're at or where you could potentially be . There's a lot to be said for a common size.
build thread

v7guy

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:31 am

v7guy wrote:I think one of the biggest concerns is making sure you have a local supply where you're at or where you could potentially be . There's a lot to be said for a common size.

Agreed.

There is however several more threads showing odd sized tires shown on Expo.
HARDTRAILZ

by v7guy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:36 am

I really need to spend a lot more time on expo. I've signed up and it's a wealth of general info. In my new assignment i have a serious lack of time at work. So I have a massively less amount of time to read.
build thread

v7guy

by Harry Moto » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:07 am

I voted narrow. Mud? What the heck is THAT?!? Where I go in Arizona is all freakin' transfer breakin' rocks with some dirt and sand. I'm running 255/75x17's, 32" tires give me clearance (for everything, not like a lift) and they hook up where I run.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned (I think...) is that a narrow tire rides softer than a wide one. You also have more wander from side to side, but it's all about what you'll put up with to get what you want. Just like with women...
2008 TB, 1.75" Smaxx front, 1.25" wheel adapters, 255/75-17 Silent Armor, compass mirror, 7" indash DVD/GPS, power passenger seat, & Mikes steel skid plate.
Harry Moto

Name: Harry
Vehicle Year: 2008

Previous

Return to Wheels / Tires