Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Pics of Hi-Lift in real use

Dumping ground for offroad Trailblazer or Envoy general discussion.

by foosh » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:34 am

NHARINTON wrote:Had it in Aw4wd ...

When the other guys on the site see this they're gonna riem you...
Only White Lifted TB in Jerzey on 33's :safari:

:flex dirty: Pine Barrens Wheelin!
Build Thread http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=113
foosh
Addict

Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by The Roadie » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:32 am

NHARINTON wrote:How did ya get stuck?
About 55 degree day around 8800 feet in Colorado in April getting home from Missouri by way of Moab. Never made it to Moab for another month or so. Short cut across a pass to avoid the boring interstate. No snow except in the shadows. This part of the trail was about a 10 degree upslope, trees on either side were getting taller as I left a meadow. Nobody had gone through yet ahead of me. Thought it was 6" thick. Not so. Bit of a crust. Broke through, losing momentum because of the uphill, went down to the frame and gas tank flat on compressed, melting snow pack - very, very dense and slippery. All four tires lost traction at once with the increased frame friction. Boom. Been in similar situations, and thought an immediate reversal would get me back out with the downhill slope assisting. Nope. 15 minutes with the hilift, and I didn't worry because I could also have winched in reverse to get out. Used the opportunity to take pics and to write about later. Broke the axle 20 minutes later when I came across the HVAC 2WD van stuck in the 6" of snow I had just made it through 1/2 miles downhill from this pic.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by bgwolfpack » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:08 pm

The Roadie wrote:Here's one of my best self-extractions, showing the need for the Hi-Lift, LiftMate, Sand/mud base, and sand ladders.

Mr Roadie sir. Thank you for that perfect illustration of how the Hi-lift works and the effort and time that went with it. :cheers:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by Trail X » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:54 pm

You must get different snow than we get here...

3 feet of snow would stop you dead here... yours must be light fluffy stuff... ours is dense watery crap that can support your vehicle's weight.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by NHARINTON » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:53 pm

The Roadie wrote:
NHARINTON wrote:How did ya get stuck?
About 55 degree day around 8800 feet in Colorado in April getting home from Missouri by way of Moab. Never made it to Moab for another month or so. Short cut across a pass to avoid the boring interstate. No snow except in the shadows. This part of the trail was about a 10 degree upslope, trees on either side were getting taller as I left a meadow. Nobody had gone through yet ahead of me. Thought it was 6" thick. Not so. Bit of a crust. Broke through, losing momentum because of the uphill, went down to the frame and gas tank flat on compressed, melting snow pack - very, very dense and slippery. All four tires lost traction at once with the increased frame friction. Boom. Been in similar situations, and thought an immediate reversal would get me back out with the downhill slope assisting. Nope. 15 minutes with the hilift, and I didn't worry because I could also have winched in reverse to get out. Used the opportunity to take pics and to write about later. Broke the axle 20 minutes later when I came across the HVAC 2WD van stuck in the 6" of snow I had just made it through 1/2 miles downhill from this pic.

That will do it
"The accumulation of all powers, in the same hands, whether of one, or many, and whether hereditary, self-appointed, or elective, may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny” - James Madision The Federalist Papers #47
NHARINTON

Name: Nick

Previous

Return to Off Road Discussion