Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

SPOT II Recall

Dumping ground for offroad Trailblazer or Envoy general discussion.

by Trail X » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:55 am

Hey guys, I was activating my new SPOT II that I just purchased. However once I submitted all of the information, the registration returned an error and told me that my SPOT has a potential battery life issue.

The following is according to their exchange page: http://www.findmespot.com/exchange/

Spot LLC is dedicated to providing the highest quality and best performance products to our customers, therefore, Spot LLC will be conducting a voluntary return on any new model SPOT Satellite GPS Messengerâ„¢ (SPOT 2) purchased since October 1, 2009. During recent testing, we discovered that some of the new SPOT 2 devices might not meet battery and messaging operating specifications.

They advise the following:

• If you have activated your SPOT-2 unit, login to your account at https://login.findmespot.com, click on the My GPS Locations tab and a message will display indicating if you have an affected SPOT-2 unit.
  • If you have not activated your SPOT-2 unit, do not activate. We highly recommend you return your product for replacement at your earliest convenience.

So I wanted to make sure everyone was aware of this potential issue, especially if you have purchased a SPOT recently. I don't want one of you guys losing battery power in the middle of nowhere. It looks like SPOT is trying to fix the issue, so it may not make sense to purchase a new SPOT until their issue gets resolved.

I'll keep this thread updated.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Zero » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:51 pm

Sweet bro! I was actualy just looking into getting a SPOT after seeing Roadies in action. id love to have my own at some point. For right now i will be fine with my Pioneer GPS, Garmin GPS, and the NEW Delorme 8.0 suite with new and updated GPS reciever.

I heard you can rent SPOT's, so Ill probably go that route for my next trip.
Zero
Veteran

Name: Brendan
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by OregTrailBlazin » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:43 pm

Good call, me and a Co-Worker went in together on the Spot I, almost went for the II but he found out about the recall before hand.
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Johnathan Kurz
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

Return to Off Road Discussion