Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Ditched the rear seats, now what?

Dumping ground for offroad Trailblazer or Envoy general discussion.

by Doratus » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:23 pm

I took out my rear seats because I want to create a custom storage area. I'm pretty sure I want a four drawer system but I wanted to see what other people have to say. I don't really go on 'expeditions' but I do like the idea of being able to live out of my car in a pinch. I also like the idea of just having all my tools with me everywhere I go. So the storage would mainly be for like sleeping bags, toiletries, and essential clothing items (socks, underwear) but also for tools and off road essentials.

Another idea that just came to mind as I'm typing is some kind of water storage tank. I've been in a many situations where I was really thirsty and nowhere near a water source.

As with all of my ideas, I don't have the money yet to get it going but I can dream can't I?

So without further adue...

This is really the only stuff that I currently store in the TB. Air compressor, fire extinguisher, jack, spare tire, and 3 ammo cans.

I've drawn a simple paint diagram to describe what I mean about the drawers.
**EDIT** The door labels in this diagram are backwards, the left should be on the bottom and the right should be on the top. :wallbash:

The point of this post is to gather ideas specific to my needs. I've never really fabricated cabinetry before but at the same time I highly doubt I will ever pay someone to fab something for me. Some of your mod posts have been really helpful.
West Chapter (Trailvoy.com)

Wishlist:
A)CB radio
Doratus

Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by gotspeed1 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:17 pm

Why not use the cargo area for your storage? How much stuff are you gonna carry? And, what if you need to haul a couple people around? Just something to think about. Gotta give you props on the good unique idea, not something I've seen a lot!!! :cheers:
3...2...1....FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!
gotspeed1
Trail-Blazer

Name: Joey

by Doratus » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:29 pm

gotspeed1 wrote:Why not use the cargo area for your storage? How much stuff are you gonna carry? And, what if you need to haul a couple people around? Just something to think about. Gotta give you props on the good unique idea, not something I've seen a lot!!! :cheers:

Well like I said, I want to be able to have like a drug store on wheels. Basic things I might need in a pinch, but also items that would come in handy on a day to day basis.

As far as transporting other people... Well I don't do it very often to begin with, but I think that whatever I design it will be something that is modular or at least not permanent. There are about 100 bolts sticking up that the rear seats normally would fasten to, I will probably utilize these.

So in my minds eye I envision having like a modular storage system that I can swap with the rear seats. It's not as if I threw my rear seats into the fireplace. :cheers:

Wishlist:
A)CB radio
Doratus

by Trail X » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:44 pm

I think Bill needs to transfer his writeup from Trailvoy over here. He did something similar.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=28419
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Doratus » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:58 pm

It's funny that you mention the Roadie's post on trailvoy because that is exactly where I got the idea to do this. I've been thinking about it ever since he made that post but I just recently came into a position where I don't have to drive other people around. So at any rate, I want to do the Doratus version now.

You know... limited edition. :excited:

Wishlist:
A)CB radio
Doratus

by SomeOffPave » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:06 pm

Doratus wrote: I do like the idea of being able to live out of my car in a pinch. .

If that means sleeping in the car too...........
Perhaps a long, low ( 6" high? ) box that starts at the tailgate and extends forward over the space formerly occupied by the rear seats. A drawer accesable from the back when the tailgate is up and several "trap doors" along its length. A door or deeper drawer accesable when your side doors are open.

Build it half the width of the cargo area and along the other side of the bed of your Trailvoy could be the modular boxes/ cabinets, spare tire, and water jug(s) you spoke of. There is the possibility of replacing just one of the rear seats.

Or are you more of a tent guy?
SomeOffPave
Cruiser

DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Zero » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:52 pm

You could always put 2 or 1 bucket seat in back. That way you can still carry others if you have to, and increase storage space, while keeping weight low.
Zero
Veteran

Name: Brendan
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by Doratus » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:28 pm

Zero wrote:You could always put 2 or 1 bucket seat in back. That way you can still carry others if you have to, and increase storage space, while keeping weight low.

This is true however, the process of replacing the seats is only like a 10 minute operation. If I'm already on the trail and for some reason I need to pick up another person, I will just make them lay down in the back on top of all my crap! :cheers:

Wishlist:
A)CB radio
Doratus

by The Roadie » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:11 pm

My system can be swapped out for the seats in 20-25 minutes, which I did over the holidays when my brother and his GF were visiting. If I did it again I'd have the fridge in the rear at deck height, and a multi-smaller-drawer unit coming out the side door. That height is the only one the fridge can slide out the door at, but it's more of a pain than I thought to climb on the tire to peer inside all the way to the bottom. But it does illustrate a fuller commitment to the ExPo concept than just a rear drawer unit.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by muddy tires » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:39 pm

The Roadie wrote:but it's more of a pain than I thought to climb on the tire to peer inside all the way to the bottom. But it does illustrate a fuller commitment to the ExPo concept than just a rear drawer unit.

Simple solution that will really illustrate a full commitment to the ExPo concept!

muddy tires
Cruiser

Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

Return to Off Road Discussion