Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

The Backroad to Crown King takes 4 lives

Dumping ground for offroad Trailblazer or Envoy general discussion.

by KE7WOX » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:52 am

This is old news, but I thought I'd share it
http://www.dcourier.com/main.asp?Search ... onID=1&S=1

This happened on the very same day I was in Crown King and attempting to reach a nearby mine (somewhat far away from the scene of this accident) and on my way down I saw a sheriff truck going up to CK but wasn't running code, so they might have been responding to this and already suspected/knew of the outcome (this happened at least 3 hours by road from any nearby hospital, so without a helo you can't do anything).

Hopefully this will educate at least some people that offroading is a serious thing and that just because you have a Jeep or a lifted K5 Blazer you are not invincible. It looks like they broke some basic rules of that road and paid a really high price. It's not uncommon to see people from Phoenix and those areas driving their Jeeps and lifted Broncos while doing 75 on dirt roads. May these people rest in peace and hopefully others will learn from this.

The Roadie just posted this hours ago on a different post, and I think it's really wise thinking

The Roadie wrote:Just go try it, don't feel bad if you have to turn around. I was thwarted by dozens of trail situations over the years, and learned to leave my ego at home and just enjoy even a run where I had to use my planned bypasses.
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Name: Felipe G
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by teebes » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:31 am

Very sad event. I recall a long thread on expo about it, was that section really off camber?
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Philberto » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:54 pm

On a related note, what about that XJ that went over the edge in Death Valley? I remember reading about it on expo, but can't seem to find it... nobody died in that incident, but another sobering reminder that things can go horribly wrong.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by KE7WOX » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:26 pm

teebes wrote:Very sad event. I recall a long thread on expo about it, was that section really off camber?

Might have been, in some forums they have discussed the Oro Belle mine trail, and some people have said that that road is much more suitable to ATVs than even lifted Jeeps and FJs.

For the road itself, just google "Back road to Crown King"
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Name: Felipe G

by The Roadie » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:45 pm

The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:39 pm

Sad to hear about stuff like this. It makes it even worse to think of a family headed to church gathering having to deal with this while so many drunks drive like idiots on trails.

Prayers sent for the victims and the families.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

Return to Off Road Discussion