Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Suggestions

Dumping ground for offroad Trailblazer or Envoy general discussion.

by Fisker » Fri May 27, 2016 6:15 pm

I am about one day from ordering my rad skid from Barton. After that I'm ginna remove the front bumper cover and trim the wheel well liner. I want to reattach the front license plate and turn the bumper bar upside down. Once that's done I am going to attach a light bar.
Do I need to drill new holes for the license plate and lights? And do I need to drill new holes to turn the bumper cover upside down? I have taken the bumper cover off but did not take good enough pictures to answer my own questions :zombie: :facepalm:
Fisker
Off-Roader

Name: Avery Fisk
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Fisker » Fri May 27, 2016 7:18 pm

Also, do those loops serve any function if I get rid of the wheel liner? And will it still pass inspection if leave the bumper off? Sorry for the questions but I like to know what I'm getting into
Fisker
Off-Roader

by hilljb » Sat May 28, 2016 12:32 am

I don't think the loops serve much of a purpose other than providing minimal support to the plastic bumper cover. Some guys just cut those loops off.

You'll need to drill holes for the license plate and whatever else, unless you get lucky and find some creative solution. I had to drill holes. In terms of inspection, I'd look at the laws in your state. The plastic bumper cover doesn't do a ton... I'd think you're fine.

I used a small rotary tool (Dremel, etc) with one of the tiny cutting wheels to trim the liners, drawing the lines on beforehand and just following them.
hilljb

Name: Jason
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Regulator1175 » Sat May 28, 2016 1:07 am

No, you will not have to drill new mount holes for the bumper. The bolts are vertice and go through both sides of the bumper so it will all line up.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Fisker » Sat May 28, 2016 8:28 am

If I get rid of the loops the only thing I think it holds in place is that wheel liner. So I think I could still take the bumper cover on and off? What do y'all think? If I can take the cover on and off I have no problem with inspection and I could put it back on if I ever decided to sell it in the future.
I think if I flip it then I can keep the tow hooks will look better
Fisker
Off-Roader

by v7guy » Sat May 28, 2016 12:29 pm

The bumper cover is exactly that, a cover for the bumper, the bumper is the steel piece, there's no legal requirement I've ever seen mandating a bumper cover.

Without those loops to support the bumper cover it'll probably flop around in the wind at highway speeds, maybe at around town speeds, but hell, maybe it'll be fine... Let us know! LOL
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Fisker » Sat May 28, 2016 1:05 pm

Alright lol. This is my plan for now. This week look at sheet metal at lowes or Home Depot. Use cardboard to try and shape a skid. Then cut out the skid from the template and go to a buddies to bend the metal. Mount it, then take it off and paint it red. Then buy the 20 inch light bar and mount that!

If making my own skid fails I will buy Barton's and if I like the look without the cover I will decide what to do next as far as cut out the loops or and wheel well liner!

I'll keep you all updated
Fisker
Off-Roader

by Jrgunn5150 » Tue May 31, 2016 5:28 pm

I actually completely removed my rear bumper, but left the hitch and cover a few weeks ago, and it was fine.

I had my front cover on and off a few times, I made a little leg to go up to the fender to brace the cover down at the bottom corner, it worked fine while I was using it.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Name: Jr.
Vehicle Year: 2006

by escapepilot » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:41 pm

If you cut your bumper and decide you don't like it, let me know. Barton is supposed to ship out my bumper soon and you can have the factory one if you want it.
escapepilot
Off-Roader

Name: Shannon
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

Return to Off Road Discussion