Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

VooDoo/Bubba Rope

Dumping ground for offroad Trailblazer or Envoy general discussion.

by Jrgunn5150 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:05 pm

Do you guy's think it's a worthwhile cost over the 3" straps I can get for 30 bucks? Because, i basically treat them like they are disposable, I don't know if it's my treatment of them, or their $30 quality that's the issue, but I usually buy at least one a year from abrasions or whatever. I haven't ever had one fail on me though, probably because I throw them out at the first sign of weakness lol.

Anyway, I'm ready for a new one, or two and just curious what you guy's think of the advantages of the fancy ropes out there.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Name: Jr.
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by NC_IslandRunner » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:30 pm

You need to take a basic 4X4 class at one of the many events held through the year. The 2 things you are describing are meant for different uses. One is meant for dynamic extraction the other for static.

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory
Vehicle Year: 2004

by Jrgunn5150 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:38 pm

NC_IslandRunner wrote:You need to take a basic 4X4 class at one of the many events held through the year. The 2 things you are describing are meant for different uses. One is meant for dynamic extraction the other for static.

No, I'm pretty sure I have a decent grip on thing's, and I'm really sure these, http://www.amazon.com/Rugged-Ridge-1510 ... B002QSPDYW , are commonly referred to as "snatch straps", and are intended for vehicle recovery and not towing. Or, "Dynamic Recovery", if you want to get all analytical about it.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

by NC_IslandRunner » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:29 pm

Ok, your the genius, I just started doing this last week and was taking a wild guess....

NC_IslandRunner

by Anthony Hernandez » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:49 pm

Hahaha...
Marks3"-moog 14's-fox shocks-z71's-4.56 gears-rear locker-
My build - viewtopic.php?f=74&t=6225
Anthony Hernandez
Trail-Blazer

Name: Anthony
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Jrgunn5150 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:49 pm

NC_IslandRunner wrote:Ok, your the genius, I just started doing this last week and was taking a wild guess....

Lmao, having a bad day? :finger:
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

by NC_IslandRunner » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:19 pm

Not really, just like messing with people. Your OP only said $30 3" strap, so that brings to mind the yellow cheap straps, not the one you posted a link to.

As to if it is worth it or not, no-one but you can answer that. I can't tell you what you value, if you go with the cheap strap keep a back-up handy because that's what you are paying for when you get the expensive ropes, quality. The cheap stuff may last forever and never fail, but be ready if it does..

NC_IslandRunner

by Jrgunn5150 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:26 pm

NC_IslandRunner wrote:Not really, just like messing with people. Your OP only said $30 3" strap, so that brings to mind the yellow cheap straps, not the one you posted a link to.

As to if it is worth it or not, no-one but you can answer that. I can't tell you what you value, if you go with the cheap strap keep a back-up handy because that's what you are paying for when you get the expensive ropes, quality. The cheap stuff may last forever and never fail, but be ready if it does..

I figured that's what you had in mind, the "Tow" straps, but even the "Recovery" straps don't stretch a great deal really.

But what I need to know is, are these more expensive ropes more durable and abrasion resistant? I don't mind spending money on quality, but if this is going to suffer the same fate as my flat straps I may as well save the money lol.

I've been talking with a guy from a company called Southeast Overland, who say's he makes his in house. He said the only real downside besides cost to the ropes is they take up a ton of space. Compared to a flat strap you can just roll up and is the size of a magazine more or less.

Since I have two vehicles to buy recovery gear for now, it add's up quickly. I think I'll give one a shot though, I can always buy another if it's awesome I guess.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

by NC_IslandRunner » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:41 pm

Southeast overland will treat you right, I've known Steve for years, most of the guys I wheel with in the Southeast buy from him. I'm looking to get synthetic winch line from him soon. Plus he gives me key-chains and t-shirts quite often!

Here he is 3.5yrs ago about to tug me out of a rock garden. Note I don't have front tow points, this is a PITA, every time I got stuck I had to run a strap around my frame.

NC_IslandRunner

by Jrgunn5150 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:47 pm

Running them around my frame, our someone else's is how I screw up all my straps lol.

But that sells it, he is a nice guy, and really helpful. I'll post up further once I have it and use it some.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

by lifted voy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:44 pm

I use an ARB snatch strap rated for 17,600 lbs (ARB705) and its held up great. Much better than the cheap yellow ropes I had been using. I only paid about $60 for it. My personal opinion is it's best to get a quality strap rather than replace the cheap ones yearly or however often.
"If only I had checked myself" - guy who wrecked himself
lifted voy
Cruiser

Name: Brad
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by bartonmd » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:52 am

I screwed up a strap in a pinch, around somebody's frame, several years ago. Ever since then, I've carried a 3ft piece of 3/8" chain with a chain grab hook on one end and a rounded, "winch" style hook on the other, so that I can hook it around a frame and to itself, then hook my winch line or snatch strap to the round hook with the clip.

I've been thinking about a bubba rope or similar, for years, but frankly, I've pulled out a Ramcharger on 35's that was buried to the bumper, with a 2" TSC white snatch strap, with my stock S-10 Blazer, in one shot, so I'm not really sure if I need it.

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:31 am

I love the ropes, but just cant justify it. I justified two synthetic winch lines and some extensions easier than the stretch rope over the stretch strap. Snatch straps seem to work for my needs and the cost is so far less.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Jrgunn5150 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:12 pm

bartonmd wrote:I screwed up a strap in a pinch, around somebody's frame, several years ago. Ever since then, I've carried a 3ft piece of 3/8" chain with a chain grab hook on one end and a rounded, "winch" style hook on the other, so that I can hook it around a frame and to itself, then hook my winch line or snatch strap to the round hook with the clip.

I've been thinking about a bubba rope or similar, for years, but frankly, I've pulled out a Ramcharger on 35's that was buried to the bumper, with a 2" TSC white snatch strap, with my stock S-10 Blazer, in one shot, so I'm not really sure if I need it.

Mike

That's a pretty good idea, I actually have a chain I bought for my cherry picker, but also that, then promptly forgot about and it's out there on a shelf lol.

I ordered one, I'll keep it in the TB, she can keep a normal strap in the FJ for now while I evaluate the thing. Odd's are it'll be fine, since it's three times the cost, I'll probably take better care of it lol.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Return to Off Road Discussion