Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Front hitch/winch ideas

Dumping ground for offroad Trailblazer or Envoy general discussion.

by Doratus » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:32 pm

Okay so I want to bounce some ideas off you guys and see what is a good idea and what isn't. I don't have the budget for any of this yet, I'm just sort of thinking out loud here.

First is the Curt spare tire hitch mount. I believe Teebes has or had one of these. I know it doesn't articulate, but I don't mind that part, just wondering about durability.

Second is a winch setup. I'm thinking about the Curt 2" front end hitch, with a winch mount for 2" hitches.
ImageImage

Theoretically it will work, sure, but will it hinder my approach angle? I have a 2" lift and stock size tires, but I have 32" tires on standby. The other worry I have is that this setup wouldn't be strong enough to actually get myself out of a ditch...but maybe I'm wrong, hopefully I'm wrong... I don't want to spend the time and money on a custom bumper.

Thanks. :flex dirty:
West Chapter (Trailvoy.com)

Wishlist:
A)CB radio
Doratus

Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Philberto » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:25 pm

I, too, have thought about the Curt front receiver, but it will affect my approach angle too much, so I decided I'm going to go with a front bumper from Neil with a winch mount or receiver (haven't decided yet). I'd say that for only a couple hundred more than the setup you're wondering about, you can get a nicely-made winchmount bumper center, and then you can always add on brush guards or other things if you decide later. As far as rear bumpers go, I'm not quite sure whether I'm going with a modified HitchGate, CBI offroad carrier, or a home-brew solution of my own making. I haven't seen the curt carrier, so I can't comment on it.

Just my 25 cents,
-Phil
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by Doratus » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:46 pm

Philberto wrote:I, too, have thought about the Curt front receiver, but it will affect my approach angle too much, so I decided I'm going to go with a front bumper from Neil with a winch mount or receiver (haven't decided yet). I'd say that for only a couple hundred more than the setup you're wondering about, you can get a nicely-made winchmount bumper center, and then you can always add on brush guards or other things if you decide later. As far as rear bumpers go, I'm not quite sure whether I'm going with a modified HitchGate, CBI offroad carrier, or a home-brew solution of my own making. I haven't seen the curt carrier, so I can't comment on it.

Just my 25 cents,
-Phil

I actually agree with you on that. I would be in heaven if I had JamesDowning's bumper. And his rock sliders... come to think of it, me and him could just swap vehicles and I would be happy. :finger:

Wishlist:
A)CB radio
Doratus

by bartonmd » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:49 am

Yes, it's plenty strong... yes, it kills approach angle, especially with the winch mount on it...

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by NeilageInc » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:50 am

Check out the vendor page. Bumper ideas are coming to life. Thanks Neil.
NEILAGEINC.com
NeilageInc

Name: Neil Talmadge

by Doratus » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:43 am

NeilageInc wrote:Check out the vendor page. Bumper ideas are coming to life. Thanks Neil.

I most certainly am! :thumright: :lurk:

Wishlist:
A)CB radio
Doratus

by Philberto » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:45 am

Another reason I'm questioning whether I want a receiver mounted winch is the potential to need to use the winch while it is underwater, or the receiver is blocked by rocks. I have an idea I gleaned from other sources, and if you want to see what I'm thinking of, just Google "Foer Winch System"
Philberto
Lifer

by The Roadie » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:35 pm

I had the Curt 31055 front mount and a Warn multimount for my winch for the Rev 1 Roadiemobile three years ago. Quickly discovered the trails I liked required a much better approach angle. Sold the Curt. Even up higher on the custom bumper, the winch is the limiting factor for 40-45 degree climbs, but I really need it relocatable to the rear for my style of riding.

The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by NeilageInc » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:49 pm

The Roadie is now officially HARD CORE in my eyes. Those are the videos we need to see.
NEILAGEINC.com
NeilageInc

Name: Neil Talmadge

by Doratus » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:54 pm

NeilageInc wrote:The Roadie is now officially HARD CORE in my eyes. Those are the videos we need to see.

Yeah...... :awesome:

I don't know what I was thinking with my idea.

I guess I'll just have to start saving my pennies.

Wishlist:
A)CB radio
Doratus

by The Roadie » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:14 pm

Here's a side view of the Curt installed with a mini skid shield accessory they sell.

(I link to the videos in my signature - assumed you guys were all clicking on them. Sheesh.)

The Roadie
Founder

by cbbryan » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:19 pm

Thanks for taking it for the team Roadie; you break yours up so we don't have to sorta thing.
cbbryan
Trail-Blazer

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2005

by Trail X » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:52 am

Another thing to consider about a winch is it's sheer weight. My winch (with steel cable) with carrier weights approx 100 lbs. You stick that off your front axle that far, and you're going to nose dive a good bit. When it's up high, the dive isn't a big deal, but down low, it has a greater affect, as you need every 1/2" you can get.

The biggest variable is the difficulty of the trails you plan to attack. If you're going to be hitting trails with lots of big rocks, you should get a higher winch (front bumper). If you only hit graded forest roads, the curt front hitch should be ok...
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:02 am

JamesDowning wrote:Another thing to consider about a winch is it's sheer weight. My winch (with steel cable) with carrier weights approx 100 lbs. You stick that off your front axle that far, and you're going to nose dive a good bit. When it's up high, the dive isn't a big deal, but down low, it has a greater affect, as you need every 1/2" you can get.

The biggest variable is the difficulty of the trails you plan to attack. If you're going to be hitting trails with lots of big rocks, you should get a higher winch (front bumper). If you only hit graded forest roads, the curt front hitch should be ok...

If only on graded forest roads, you probably dont need a winch.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by KE7WOX » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:49 am

HARDTRAILZ wrote:
JamesDowning wrote:Another thing to consider about a winch is it's sheer weight. My winch (with steel cable) with carrier weights approx 100 lbs. You stick that off your front axle that far, and you're going to nose dive a good bit. When it's up high, the dive isn't a big deal, but down low, it has a greater affect, as you need every 1/2" you can get.

If only on graded forest roads, you probably dont need a winch.

Here's the problem.

More than once you expect to do graded forest roads but somehow end up on more difficult trails and that's when things got bad. Happened to me back in Thanksgiving; ended up in a mine trail that was supposedly 2WD (maybe a 2WD trophy truck road) but got so bad I had to turn around. Took me 4 attempts (3 of them with a spotter) to get back that last section because I had my tires spinning. Had I advanced 1.5 miles more, I would have reached my destination, but without a winch, the way back would have been interesting.

On a side note, I've been thinking if it's possible to carry the winch somewhere else (rear hitch or the trunk) and install it if necessary (I do believe Roadie switched from front to rear several times).

And regarding the Curt receiver, does it stick below the stock bumper? or do you cut out a piece of plastic to have the receiver stick out?
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Name: Felipe G

by Philberto » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:42 pm

I did some looking, and it looks like almost a straight shot along the inside of the passenger side frame rail most of the way to the front. Progress is brewing on the plans for the mid rear-mounted winch w/ pulley system.
Philberto
Lifer

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:13 am

I hit my hitch mounted tow point that only sticks out 6 inches. I took it out and hit the exhaust. I would not want anything sticking out back there. I dont use my hitch mount tire carrier for that reason....Why not a front mount with pulley system to the rear. I always thought that I wanted it in the front to keep me moving to where I was headed. I am not sure how much you pulley system will run you but an xrc 8 can be found pretty cheap. At the natioal show they have them for 250-300. I would consider 2 winches if the pulleys and mounting pulleys is gonna cost much.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by The Roadie » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:23 pm

KE7WOX wrote:And regarding the Curt receiver, does it stick below the stock bumper? or do you cut out a piece of plastic to have the receiver stick out?
You have to cut a 2" square out of the air dam only. It exactly touches the bottom of the OEM bumper cover.

The Roadie
Founder

by bgwolfpack » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:27 pm

If we could get a decent amount of height, in the front end, out of these vehicles I'd consider one of these just for front protection. Leave the stupid plastic bumper cap on and call it good. I'm quick becoming a fan of the SAS idea and crossing ideas from the true metal fabricators of this site. A oil pan cover would be nice and other protection now offered but this Curt would shield the weakest part of these trucks IMO without having to change to an obvious aftermarket/do it yourself bumper. :coffee:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

Return to Off Road Discussion