Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Trailblazer 2003 LS 4x4

Dumping ground for offroad Trailblazer or Envoy general discussion.

by nicedude80 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:41 pm

Hello!

I am soon going to get a 2003 Trailblazer 4x4 LS. I really want to make it more of an offroader, but I am fairly new to auto modifications. I am thinking of a 3" lift from MarkMC. I have a few questions. My main aim is to have an offroader, that is great on the highway and easy to drive on the highway, but is also good for snow/ice and mud.

-As far as suspension modifications go, I want to keep it to a minimum. A lift and new springs, shocks, and struts. From what I know, this model has struts in the front and shocks in the back, correct? Where would be the best place to buy springs, shocks, and struts?

- I am not interested in taking off the sway bar or modifying anything too complicated. besides the lift, springs, shocks, and struts, is there anything I need to install, or that is a good idea to install?

-With a 3" lift, what spacers do I need, and what is the wheel and tire size that would be best? I would keep the stock wheels, and replace the tires. What are some good tires that fit stock wheels? I need them to be good for highway snow, ice, and rain. I also do not want to have to trim my bumper, as I think it looks horrible.

Thanks for help. This will be my first vehicle, and I am excited to make it into an amazing beast of a offroader.
nicedude80
Cruiser

Name: Jared
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by tarsh » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:57 pm

That 3" is perfect for you then. May want to extend the sway links in the front. Z71 rear coil springs tend to be the General consensus. There is a complete lift guild on here with options we've found work for the trailblazer. Give it a look. It will also give you the corresponding part numbers
Take the path less traveled
My Build Thread
tarsh
Trail-Blazer

Name: Nathan Schroeder
Vehicle Year: 2004

by tarsh » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:59 pm

O yeah, a 32" tire is your best bet. And MarkMc wheel spacers will be needed to clear the upper ball joint. So keep that in mind. Rubicon take off tires ate always a good choice and are a dime a dozen
Take the path less traveled
My Build Thread
tarsh
Trail-Blazer

Name: Nathan Schroeder

by nicedude80 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:36 pm

tarsh wrote:O yeah, a 32" tire is your best bet. And MarkMc wheel spacers will be needed to clear the upper ball joint. So keep that in mind. Rubicon take off tires ate always a good choice and are a dime a dozen

Would I use the 2" spacers?
nicedude80
Cruiser

by nicedude80 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:42 pm

What are sway links and what do they? Why would I want to extend them? Also, I heard some delete the front and rear sway, why would I want to do this? I am trying to be cautious as I will be driving highway tons.
nicedude80
Cruiser

by gotspeed1 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:38 pm

A few years ago, I would have thought this was a troll post with a throw away account. Oh well, I guess the times are changing. Anyway, welcome to the site, always use search first, blah, blah ,blah. Three inch suspension lift, 32" tires, 1.5" adapters (greater range of choices in wheels), Z71 rear springs with an aftermarket shock ( BDS, Skyjacker, etc.) and you should have the desired effect. However, remember as soon as you start screwing with the geometry of the suspension, you create weak points. This is where the search tab and a lot of reading will come in handy. And remember this is just the start if you're going to have an "offroader". In my opinion, which is completely subjective to your mission, you should have the following as well... recovery equipment (winch, towstraps, snatch blocks, tree saver, proper recovery points on vehicle), extra fluids, extra parts ( I understand you can't carry a whole other vehicle with you but an extra serpentine belt, lower radiator hose, cv shaft, one upper and lower ball joint, fuses, and light bulbs should allow you to get back to civilization without a huge headache), communication (cell phone, CB radio, SPOT) proper skid plates (not stock plastic shit), auxillary lights (certainly not needed, but functional and adds to the "cool" factor), a proper place to carry the oversized spare tire ( getting the tire off of the roof sucks!!, AlekG had a rear tire carrier mod that was awesome). There are so many others things that will go into having an "offroader", dependent on your mission of course. Good Luck and read read read. :flex dirty:
3...2...1....FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!
gotspeed1
Trail-Blazer

Name: Joey
Vehicle Year: 2002

by nicedude80 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:07 pm

gotspeed1 wrote:A few years ago, I would have thought this was a troll post with a throw away account. Oh well, I guess the times are changing. Anyway, welcome to the site, always use search first, blah, blah ,blah. Three inch suspension lift, 32" tires, 1.5" adapters (greater range of choices in wheels), Z71 rear springs with an aftermarket shock ( BDS, Skyjacker, etc.) and you should have the desired effect. However, remember as soon as you start screwing with the geometry of the suspension, you create weak points. This is where the search tab and a lot of reading will come in handy. And remember this is just the start if you're going to have an "offroader". In my opinion, which is completely subjective to your mission, you should have the following as well... recovery equipment (winch, towstraps, snatch blocks, tree saver, proper recovery points on vehicle), extra fluids, extra parts ( I understand you can't carry a whole other vehicle with you but an extra serpentine belt, lower radiator hose, cv shaft, one upper and lower ball joint, fuses, and light bulbs should allow you to get back to civilization without a huge headache), communication (cell phone, CB radio, SPOT) proper skid plates (not stock plastic shit), auxillary lights (certainly not needed, but functional and adds to the "cool" factor), a proper place to carry the oversized spare tire ( getting the tire off of the roof sucks!!, AlekG had a rear tire carrier mod that was awesome). There are so many others things that will go into having an "offroader", dependent on your mission of course. Good Luck and read read read. :flex dirty:

Thanks for the help! Very appreciated! One thing I have been reading about is flipping the UCA. Now, flipping it consists of putting the left one on the right side and the right one on the left side correct? I saw someone saying if you are lifting past 2.5" you should do a UCA. This may be a VERY noob question (and I did search for it!!), is there UCA in the rear, or just the front? I did see information of radiator, oil, and rock slides, and will be a main thing I do before going offroading. One last thing, I realize for the rear you can replace the suspension with z71 springs and a new shock, but what about the front? Do I need to put new shocks in the front?
nicedude80
Cruiser

by navigator » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:35 pm

Like Lyn f youmar getting an 03 the shocks are alreadynshot . You light as well replace the shocks when you install your lift. You have to take all that tower apart anyway.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

by Miltman » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:37 pm

Yes, as far as the UCA's are concerned from one side to the other and turn them over so bottom is now top. Now with the fronts it would be advisable to replace them while you have them apart to add spacer. Your best strut is Bilstein unless you can handle the cost of radflo's. If concidering new springs for the front while there I believe it is not recommended to not go higher than an #87 spring on the front with a 3" lift. Someone else may know more on that but the info is here if you read far enough. CONGRATS on join the TB world. New to this myself. :cheers:
Miltman
Cruiser

Name: Tim

by gotspeed1 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:28 pm

Definitely do the shocks while you have everything apart!!. While their not the worst thing in the world to do, the less you have to use the god forsaken spring compressors, the better. I did the lift one time, shocks a different time and the "89" springs another. You get more comfortable each time, but still, less is better. As for UCAs, none in the rear. The rear suspension change is very easy to do. I can't speak on the "nothing higher than "87" with a three inch lift. I had my "89s" on with the 2.5" smaxx kit before Mark came out with the 3 inch lift/
3...2...1....FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!
gotspeed1
Trail-Blazer

Name: Joey
Vehicle Year: 2002

by nicedude80 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:15 pm

Thanks for all your help guys! Can't wait to have a TB!
nicedude80
Cruiser

Return to Off Road Discussion