Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

SWB vs. LWB

Dumping ground for offroad Trailblazer or Envoy general discussion.

by gotspeed1 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:22 am

After three years of being away, I have succumbed to the itch. I've been going back and forth on a 360 or a Land Rover (Disco II or LR3) for an expedition build. While I haven't made up my mind completely, I'm leaning more and more toward the 360. I'm in the air about getting a short wheelbase TB or the extended version. I understand the "mission/application" theory, but what are the real pros and cons of each version? Thanks. :flex dirty:
3...2...1....FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!
gotspeed1
Trail-Blazer

Name: Joey
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by v7guy » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:06 am

Well, you get more interior room, but the wheelbase is longer so you run a bigger chance of high centering is the most obvious to me. Dave got to experience the longer wheelbase issues first hand in the spring LOL
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by TBYODA » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:18 pm

v7guy wrote:Well, you get more interior room, but the wheelbase is longer so you run a bigger chance of high centering is the most obvious to me. Dave got to experience the longer wheelbase issues first hand in the spring LOL

Poor gas tank! LOL
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by navigator » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:04 am

If you haven't done so already, read up on the land rovers. I don't remember the models but do remember reading some negative reviews about reliability and the costs of replacement parts. I understand they perform well off road otherwise. I will think the 360 is pretty reliable and new and used parts are plentiful.

The lwb should already have the heavier 8.6 rear so that is a plus.
I think I would love to have a v8 xuv which is lwb as well.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

by KingBird » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:45 am

Aside from front and rear overhang, our measurements are real close to the four door jeep Wranglers as far as the SWB is concerned. LWB, gives you the 8.6 rear as mentioned above, larger front brakes, bigger gas tank, third row seating, and a little more headroom in the back.

This means that you may have trouble fitting roof racks properly and your break over angle is greatly decreased.

With LWB, I'd go 4.56s and 34" or taller tires, 3" suspension lift and 3" body lift as well.

(Of course wheel spacers would be required, this should go without saying, which is why I didn't.)
Bravada G80 3.73 converted to selectable 4wd.
KingBird
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brian
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by HARDTRAILZ » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:11 pm

Been thinking of swapping my stuff to a 370 for the third row actually.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Anthony Hernandez » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:56 am

Meeee toooo broo
Marks3"-moog 14's-fox shocks-z71's-4.56 gears-rear locker-
My build - viewtopic.php?f=74&t=6225
Anthony Hernandez
Trail-Blazer

Name: Anthony
Vehicle Year: 2007

by navigator » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:02 pm

We bought a Suburban a few years ago because of the third row but I'm not sure it has much more leg room.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris

by Anthony Hernandez » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:18 pm

There is also a 3rd row you can buy for the tb that is like $500 and it's dot approved.. I need to dig that one up and post a link...
Anthony Hernandez
Trail-Blazer

by Anthony Hernandez » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:31 pm

Anthony Hernandez
Trail-Blazer

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:29 pm

Saw it done once few years ago but no more space for recovery gear or supplies. Can't lose that.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle

by KingBird » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:04 pm

Just throw it up top, like the Aussies!
https://youtu.be/f8trkgFX6wI

4:50 in I'm like :slap:
KingBird
Trail-Blazer

by gotspeed1 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:06 am

Thanks everyone. As far as the Land Rover are concerned, it seems to be either "they're the greatest vehicle ever created" or "they won't even get you down the block, let alone through White Rim"; there's no in between. I figured I know the 360/370 platform is reliable and I know what I'm getting. I was just curious if SWB owners wish they would have went with the LWB, and vice versa. Thanks again! :cheers:
3...2...1....FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!
gotspeed1
Trail-Blazer

Name: Joey

by KingBird » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:13 am

I've always loved the way the LWB looks, but my particular body style doesn't even have that option. I like the SWB as far as it's capabilities off-road. Since we have some pretty deep barditches around here, I've enjoyed the increased break-over angle gained from the three inch lift.
KingBird
Trail-Blazer

by BC backroader » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:24 pm

I bought the LWB in July '14 because it was priced right, and I liked the idea of extra space for gear with the 3rd seat removed. I don't regret the choice at all. I most definitely needed the 2.5" lift to get through the barditches without scraping the skid plates, and yes, it is a little less nimble to turn around on narrow trails, but that hasn't been a huge issue, as my previous 4x4 was a long box extended cab GMC 3500, so I got used to multi point turns with wheels to the edge of the drop offs! :-0

The upgrades that come with the LWB are nice, too. You get the larger 8.6" rear axle, larger front brakes, and rear seat heat/ac vents and controls. The biggest plus is the room for gear. I have my recovery gear, basic tools, and day use camp gear (folding chairs, popup shade, folding table) in the back at all times, and still have room for a weeks groceries, or hunting gear, or picnic supplies, as needed, without having to sacrifice second row seat space for hauling family or buddies along.
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5844
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brad
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by moose1 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:39 pm

FWIW I am on the fence with this one. i like the looks of the lifted swb and it's fun as hell to drive. I think the EXT would be more of a practical ride with the extra room and a V8, but might aswell have a yukon.
moose1
Off-Roader

Name: kevin
Vehicle Year: 2008

by chazpages » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:42 pm

Ive got a LWB TB as well, another great thing about the 3rd row is that even when its up, you still have room in the back-including room for a full size ice chest(well, a decent sized one anyway) and the back can still close.
chazpages
Cruiser

Name: Charles
Vehicle Year: 2003

by Jrgunn5150 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:54 pm

Well... I have a short V8. So I have the 8.6 rear already, and a V8 already, without the lower breakover of a LWB.

Now, I have no children, so the short model suits me well. The only reason I would want a LWB is to have a distinct wheelwell, rather than one that's part of the door. Makes fender trimming much easier.

When I shopped vehicles last year, another close candidate was the Nissan Xterra with the 4.0. They make tons of aftermarket parts for that platform, and reliability is pretty good too. The V8 swayed me in favor of a 360. I would avoid a Land Rover, IMO.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Name: Jr.

by HawkeyeC25 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:51 am

So far I've loved the LWB, and even more now that it's lifted! We have 1 kid so far and family that usually joins us in our vehicle so I wouldn't trade the third row and full size rear door for anything. We also have an Acadia and they are pretty comparable in size. We also had a Yukon, but that actually has less third row leg room and less space behind the third row (unless you step up to a Yukon XL $$$$$).
2005 Trailblazer EXT LT V8 Lifted
Build Thread
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
HawkeyeC25
Trail-Blazer

Name: Craig
Vehicle Year: 2005

by Berettaspeed » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:21 pm

I have a LWB and I love the room. I can haul my drums with ease and never have to drop the 2nd row. Im trying to tetris it to get one 3rd row down. but that is another story. Im sure all kinds of space for camping gear as well as tools just make up the extra foot and a half of length and weight. I love the room. Granted its my first suv, I get in a ton of vehicles regularly and I like the design and build of these Trailblazers. Its a shame they dont make them anymore. Good thing there are millions on the road. Used parts are going to be plentiful. If not already. LWB makes me a tad worried. But I see a good number of them around. I like the way they handle. They are not sluggy, and tighter than I expected. Its not too large, and not small at all. It has that Goldilocks effect, Just right. :)

I have not taken this offroading yet, but that Gas tank sure looks like a soft spot. I was thinking of a Gas tank Shield of sorts. Cant be hard to make something nice and easy to remove. That trans pan as well looks... vulnerable.
Berettaspeed
Cruiser

Name: bob
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

Next

Return to Off Road Discussion