Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Just starting.. any pointers?

Dumping ground for offroad Trailblazer or Envoy general discussion.

by mason10198 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:29 pm

Hey guys, this is only my second post on offroadtb, but I have used this site a million times in my past research. I have not had my TB for much time (got her less than a year ago), but I am getting ready to start building step by step. :hmm: Currently, the only exterior modifications I've done are headlights and Delta A/Ts on stock rims. I have a list of things I want to do next, but I'm sort of a newbie and am open to any better ideas you guys might have (also, in what order I should do the modifications). Here is my current to-do list, ordered from most to least expensive. Please leave suggestions! :lurk: (time of purchase [stock] and current progress pics are also attached below list)

Go Rhino 3075B Grille Guard
http://goo.gl/85hbJb

1.5in Wheel Spacers
http://goo.gl/3FEqwC

Leveling Kit
http://goo.gl/zJYD9a

Also going to add a LED lightbar onto the roof/top of windshield and another (smaller) LED lightbar onto the gorhino guard, just havent figured out what I'm going to get. Help here would also be appreciated!

STOCK AND CURRENT PROGRESS PICS
(in order of oldest-newest)

stock2.jpg
(100% stock) right before driving her off the lot
stock2.jpg (36.72 KiB) Viewed 15666 times

stock1.jpg
(100% stock) right before driving her off the lot
stock1.jpg (34.32 KiB) Viewed 15666 times

tires1.jpg
new Delta A/Ts on the way home from car lot

tires2.jpg

tires3.jpg

tires4.jpg

headlights1.jpg
painted the bowtie and installed HIDs

headlights2.jpg
HIDs

clean4.JPG
also did some major interior cleaning (whoever owned her before me wasn't very nice to her)
mason10198

Name: Mason
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Anthony Hernandez » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:18 pm

You should check out some of these guys builds and get an idea on what you are looking for man.
Marks3"-moog 14's-fox shocks-z71's-4.56 gears-rear locker-
My build - viewtopic.php?f=74&t=6225
Anthony Hernandez
Trail-Blazer

Name: Anthony
Vehicle Year: 2007

by mason10198 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:39 pm

Anthony Hernandez wrote:You should check out some of these guys builds and get an idea on what you are looking for man.

I know. The to-do list is what I'm wanting to do, just open to suggestions like "better front guard" or any other "essentials" I might need. :)
mason10198

by tarsh » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:32 pm

I agree with Anthony. Look through build treads.. I can almost guarantee you to do list will double in size. And welcome aboard buddy, hope to see lots of progress.
Take the path less traveled
My Build Thread
tarsh
Trail-Blazer

Name: Nathan Schroeder
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD

by tarsh » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:34 pm

Speaking of build threads.. I need to update mine really really bad
My Build Thread
tarsh
Trail-Blazer

by TBYODA » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:38 pm

Skip that grill guard aka damage multiplier. As the only thing there good for is looks and mounting lights. They attach the the radiator mounts and one slight tap will push your radiator into your fan and most likely damage it along with most of the front of your TB. Spend the $$ on a radiator skid plate from MDB fabrication there close to same money and much more worth it. IMHO.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by mason10198 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:27 pm

TBYODA wrote:Skip that grill guard aka damage multiplier. As the only thing there good for is looks and mounting lights. They attach the the radiator mounts and one slight tap will push your radiator into your fan and most likely damage it along with most of the front of your TB. Spend the $$ on a radiator skid plate from MDB fabrication there close to same money and much more worth it. IMHO.

I have done a lot of research on the front end guards and I agree with you. that's why I am only looking at ones that quad mount directly into the main frame of the truck. the one I was originally looking at was the WAAG Center Guard. the same one James Downing had before he got the custom bumper. are those any better or are they still bad...? I need something on the front to get my smaller AUX lights on. and as for the radiator guard, I'm looking at them right now and adding to the list.

~Sent from Tapatalk for Android~
mason10198

by tarsh » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:37 pm

Any of them store bought guards are garbage in my opinion. That are made for looks... Quad mount or not. They are thin cheaply built curb appeal. But that's just my opinion. James ran the waag so it had to be some kind of something. But still. I'd rather see you with something that would save you from a deer, not a fly
My Build Thread
tarsh
Trail-Blazer

by mason10198 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:06 pm

tarsh wrote:Any of them store bought guards are garbage in my opinion. That are made for looks... Quad mount or not. They are thin cheaply built curb appeal. But that's just my opinion. James ran the waag so it had to be some kind of something. But still. I'd rather see you with something that would save you from a deer, not a fly

yeah me too. the Go Rhino in my to-do list up there is very similar to the WAAG from what I've seen. I looker up some front end collisions with those installed and they seem pretty tough, not that it gives you any info on rad protection though... I will have SOMETHING on the front no matter what because Im putting lights there. you said anything "store bought" was bad in you opinion. do you have any suggestions?

mason10198

by tarsh » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:19 pm

I don't know how handy you are but you could always make your own like I did Or like yota said, Mdb fabrication. He's a great guy on here that builds straight yp Offroad bumpers for the tb. With multiple different options. Look into michael Barton. He's good people.
My Build Thread
tarsh
Trail-Blazer

by mason10198 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:31 pm

tarsh wrote:I don't know how handy you are but you could always make your own like I did Or like yota said, Mdb fabrication. He's a great guy on here that builds straight yp Offroad bumpers for the tb. With multiple different options. Look into michael Barton. He's good people.

well I'm only 17 and not really the one for fab work LOL (am good with basic-moderate welding though), but I'll certainly look into some other options. thanks!

mason10198

by mason10198 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:22 pm

Okay, so with further thought and research, I agree with skipping the front guard completely. If I'm not going to get protection out of a guard, then the only other reason to get one is looks or mounting lights, and looks isn't worth $300, and I will already have a 50in led bar on the top of the windshield so another 20incher isn't going to be much of a "boost". instead of getting a front guard, I'll go for a radiator skid, which seems to be a much better priority.

Anybody have suggestions on 50inch curved LED bars? please don't say Ridgid... those things are $$$$$. something less than $200 maybe?

mason10198

by TBYODA » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:22 pm

Don't toss the 20" led bar idea out just because your have nowhere to mount it . Think outside the box, lots of ideas in the build threads. However since you have a TB LS here is one easy solution. Get yourself some 1" square tube and flat stock say 1 1/2" - 2" wide and 1/8" thick. Heck you could use flat stock for everything.
If you remove your grill you will see these two bolts that hold the bumper cover on. You can use them to mount a bracket that you make with the above items. Just measure/cut as needed and bolt together and mount the bar. Very simple.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442628725.057790.jpg
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

TBYODA

by mason10198 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:36 pm

TBYODA wrote:Don't toss the 20" led bar idea out just because your have nowhere to mount it . Think outside the box, lots of ideas in the build threads. However since you have a TB LS here is one easy solution. Get yourself some 1" square tube and flat stock say 1 1/2" - 2" wide and 1/8" thick. Heck you could use flat stock for everything.
If you remove your grill you will see these two bolts that hold the bumper cover on. You can use them to mount a bracket that you make with the above items. Just measure/cut as needed and bolt together and mount the bar. Very simple.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442628725.057790.jpg

hmmmm... I never thought about those! taken the front end apart more times than I can remember and I know exactly what those are, just never thought about the mounting idea. man, I really need to start digging around in these threads more... thanks!!

mason10198

by TBYODA » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:10 am

It's ok glad to help that what we're all here for.

TBYODA

Return to Off Road Discussion