Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Front diff leaking. boo hoo

Dumping ground for offroad Trailblazer or Envoy general discussion.

by tarsh » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:40 pm

:mechanic: so, i replaced my exhaust doughnut yesterday and i noticed it was really wet under the engine on the driver-side. got to poking around and found the front diff is leaking bad probably due to 170,000 miles and constant offroad use of 4x4 since i got it. my question to you guys, can i replace the outer seal of the front diff without taking out the front differential? its leaking right behind the cv shaft. if not does anyone have a part # or a link for me? i now i havent been on in a while but help me out :finger:
Take the path less traveled
My Build Thread
tarsh
Trail-Blazer

Name: Nathan Schroeder
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Diacom » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:27 pm

Yes, you can replace this seal w/o removing the front differential. Get the GM seal, not an aftermarket brand for best results. There may even be someone who has done this already if and put up a post if you do a little "searching"
Diacom
Addict

Name: Noel
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Glasscaster » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:15 pm

Just did mine a few months ago. I had a lot of trouble finding the right seal. Every part store in town either gave me the wrong part, or did not have one in stock. I finally ordered one from gmpartsdirect.com, the part was back ordered. When it finally came it was the wrong part also(can't return a special order part to them). I ended up just going to the Chevy dealer, they had it in stock for around $17.00.

Get a seal puller if you don't have one, or you might spend all day cusing at your truck. Grease up the new seal, clean and grease the housing. Knock in the seal with a block of wood, make sure it starts going in square with the housing so it dosen't deform the seal.

Good luck, hope this hepled.
Glasscaster
Cruiser

Name: Jason
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370

by tarsh » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:26 pm

sounds easy enough, i have been searching all day online to find one, iv found multiple aftermarket ones but iv only heard bad about them. they show the damn thing in all the diagrams on gmpartsnow and gmpartsdirect and gmpartblahblah etc.i seen it labled on one diagram buttt hey didnt offer it because it was in the bearing section of the front diff. then went to the gaskets and sealing section of the same damn diagram and didnt lable it :scratch: .guess ill have to swing into a dealer and grab it. i was hopeing to avoid that. thanks for the info! :salut:
My Build Thread
tarsh
Trail-Blazer

by Norcrosski » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:14 am

I'll get you the part number later on today I ordered mine from gmpartsdirect I think it was like 13 bucks but its an acdelco
Norcrosski
Off-Roader

Name: Andrew
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Glasscaster » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:05 pm

It's part #19257296. My searching on gmparts.... lead me to part 12479302, WRONG. This is the seal for the passenger side cv on the disconnect, the web site listed that part # for the diff and the disco. Hope nobody else has this happen.
Glasscaster
Cruiser

by tarsh » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:36 pm

image.jpg
I managaed to get to the gm dealer today. 16 bucks. While i was there i figured i would ask about the 89 spring just to see. As it turns out the had no such part number for the trailblazer. But he said "im going to see if gm changed the number" wich they didn't. He only had the 85 spring listed. In a later search it came up with just the 2 wheel drive gmt360 platforms had that spring but couldnt say for sure that it even existed. The in a nother search he looked at the SSR, the 2006 model year and it came up with the 87 88 89 spring. Maybe i stumbled apon some infomation of use here, not sure. The price was a hefty 137 bucks :scratch: i found it interesting :!:
My Build Thread
tarsh
Trail-Blazer

by Glasscaster » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:17 pm

That's the one!
Glasscaster
Cruiser

by Trail X » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:49 pm

That is interesting about the 87-88-89 springs. We had never seen them reported on a TB stock, and this answers why. Thanks for letting us know!
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by tarsh » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:24 pm

Yeah, no prob. Figured i would mention it
My Build Thread
tarsh
Trail-Blazer

by tarsh » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:04 am

:salut: O yeah, im sure many know but here is the gm factory part number for the seal #19257296
My Build Thread
tarsh
Trail-Blazer

Return to Off Road Discussion