Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Wharton Trip turned SAS Discussion

Dumping ground for offroad Trailblazer or Envoy general discussion.

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:42 pm

Its still on a TB frame. It was a flood truck and they sold the motor, t case, and tranny for basically what they had in the whole thing. The frame is notched and done well. The suspension is really impressive in real life. It is not as tall as you would think fom the pics. The guy that is paying for the build was the former owner of the orange suburban that graced the mag covers with a removable soft top a few years ago.

The interior is still TB, the rear suspension is nice and the fuel cell is in the rear cargo area. The truck would whell better than anything any of us have if it had driveshafts. I would have gone with 37's but the thing is built to flex like a buggy. If I did sas i would highly consider new engine, tranny, and tranfer case too. Why not while you are that deep into it.

I did find a late 90's sas Blazer that was picking kids up at the school by my house, so I am gonna try to talk to the owner and see where, how, who on the sas.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by foosh » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:29 pm

Well as its been said the tcase definitley needs to be swapped for any front suspension upgrade... personally I'd just swap in a JK front axle and its suspension system. Its enough that with the tires we'd run it wouldn't break and would be able to handle the locker that we all want up front. At that point I'd also swap the rear for a better axle, but the 8.6 ext ale with the ARB air locker should keep up just fine with the correct gears. Also i'd try for there tcase too... basically i'd be swapping their drivetrain in, with a crashed donor JK I feel it would be more than plausible.The one issue would come down to steering.
Only White Lifted TB in Jerzey on 33's :safari:

:flex dirty: Pine Barrens Wheelin!
Build Thread http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=113
foosh
Addict

Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:48 pm

JK front not enough if you are gonna 35's or bigger unless it is a rubi one. Need at least the D-44 I think. The T-case from a JK would need to be rubi as well for the 4-1 gearing, but will require an expensive adaptor.

I would grab an old 44 off a chevy and run leaf springs to get it done cheap or I would go all out and use a high pinion 60 and full float 14 and coilovers. I plan 37's if I ever get the money to do it so I want 5.89 gearing. Have to look into what t case may bolt up, but something chevy ought to be close.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by MrSmithsTB » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:04 pm

I'd just buy a K-5 Blazer. TB would look silly on anything larger than 35" anyway. Nothing wrong with innovating, but something that already has SAS is going to be much easier to work with. For the 10K+ it will cost to do everything to one of our trucks, I could probably buy and do the same thing to two older trucks.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by foosh » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:47 pm

Haha very true! Once I'm sitting on 35's or close to it i figure i'm done with height... Just gotta add some accessories, sliders snorkel, and a few others. And We have one member that's going to be putting 37's on next year i believe he said... Sorry if you didn't want this getting out.

foosh
Addict

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:01 pm

I dont think 35's without re-gearing would be worthwhile and the limited gearing options we have, make sas a lot more practical. Alek has 456's but not without significant cost. I know 35's rub in the rear if you dont mod more than springs. I think 33's or some short 34's is as big as practical without major suspension surgery and new gears=ing $$$$. Money better spent on a solid axle with inherently better strength and more options for lockers/gears/future upgrades.

I keep trying to find some used 35's for an actual first hand experience, but no dice so far. I know looking at Mark's that with the limited articulation he does, the 35s touch in the rear fender wells. I hate when tires rub. I got my tires and they rubbed at Carlisle, but used a hacksaw in the hotel parking lot to fit them til I got home and cut off my fenders and went with more lift to ensure they didnt hit.

I would like to know what is the largest tire someone has that doesn,t rub when flexxed. My tires measure about 33 and I have as much height as possible except for roadie and I cant go taller without hitting. I know backspacing has an effect, but is anyone actually running over 33's with no tire to fender contact?
HARDTRAILZ

by foosh » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:35 am

Well, Once i'm up the next 3 inches, i'll make the call on tire size... but theres no way to tell unless you try right? Also with a D60 and Full Float 14 bolt you'll have alot of fab work shortening them and such, also the weight of those is a big factor... could the rest of our drivetrain ever deal with that even if we swapped gears and tcases?

foosh
Addict

by foosh » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:37 pm

Hey just found this on the NJfboa forums... a buncha a guys doing Mt. Jemima... only the huge ram on 38's??? made it.
http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47956

foosh
Addict

by teebes » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:39 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:I dont think 35's without re-gearing would be worthwhile and the limited gearing options we have, make sas a lot more practical.

+1. That is my eventual goal, 35's with a SAS setup. Current gearing even on 33's it's a huge drag for me, add a trailer and its not ideal.

foosh wrote:Well as its been said the tcase definitley needs to be swapped for any front suspension upgrade...

Why is this? Sure I'd love to have a 4-1 as I swap out the front stuff, but is it actually necessary (I'm asking, I'm trying to learn for future upgrades) :cheers:

foosh wrote:Also with a D60 and Full Float 14 bolt you'll have alot of fab work shortening them and such, also the weight of those is a big factor...

Does anyone have the WMS (Wheel Mounting Surface) of our vehicle to compare? I haven't had a chance to go measure myself.
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes
Vehicle Year: 2002

by HARDTRAILZ » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:08 pm

teebes wrote:
+1. That is my eventual goal, 35's with a SAS setup. Current gearing even on 33's it's a huge drag for me, add a trailer and its not ideal.

I want sas and 37's w 5.13 gearing

Why is this? Sure I'd love to have a 4-1 as I swap out the front stuff, but is it actually necessary (I'm asking, I'm trying to learn for future upgrades) :cheers:

We don't need one. If your gear lower in the axles you will be find except for hard core rock-crawling. only 4-1 out there is the rubicons. Most jeeps have a 2.72-1 same as us. The transfer case thing was mentioned once and assumed to be correct. If you are really gonna go all out, dont change t case, add a doubler or a twin stick setup

Does anyone have the WMS (Wheel Mounting Surface) of our vehicle to compare? I haven't had a chance to go measure myself.

I have not measured, but I can leave full sized axles and run on the street probably here in IN. I wonder about IH or Old broncho axles. I know a K5 blazer has a skinnier rear axle than front, so it may be close.
HARDTRAILZ

by teebes » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:30 pm

I'll grab some measurements tomorrow. Heading over to Neil's for another project :chef: :cheers:
teebes
Founder

by bobbyblaze » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:27 am

All I have to say is that if it can be done with a frontier, it shouldn't be too much to do to the 360 platform. Now having owned both, the suspensions aren't that much different. I have IFS and the kit to do my SAS is about $1900. 85% bolt on. The donor axle this kit is designed for is out of a 1980-85 Jeep Wagoneer model Dana 44 (D44), with a driver's side drop and a non-vacuum actuated disconnect.
Attachments
SAS.jpg
(65.95 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
frontyIFSs.jpg
(23.68 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
Time. . .is my greatest enemy.
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

Name: bb
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by foosh » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:50 pm

How much lift do you require to tuck it under?

foosh
Addict

by Philberto » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:16 pm

bobbyblaze wrote:All I have to say is that if it can be done with a frontier, it shouldn't be too much to do to the 360 platform. Now having owned both, the suspensions aren't that much different. I have IFS and the kit to do my SAS is about $1900. 85% bolt on. The donor axle this kit is designed for is out of a 1980-85 Jeep Wagoneer model Dana 44 (D44), with a driver's side drop and a non-vacuum actuated disconnect.

So... which company makes that? Any possibility we can get them interested in our platform?
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other

by bobbyblaze » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:22 pm

foosh wrote:How much lift do you require to tuck it under?

By installing the kit I believe you gain about 5 inches of suspension lift in the front. I would imagine you would have to lift the rear at least 3 inches to get it close to level. Along with that kit you would have to upgrade to heavy duty steering linkage, sway bar and get long travel shocks along with the obvious axle and new gearing to match the front and rear diff's. That would be a good time to throw in lockers so add roughly 600 per axle for lockers.. I think it would come out to be around $4000 for parts without lockers. Then labor. . .

Philberto wrote:
bobbyblaze wrote:All I have to say is that if it can be done with a frontier, it shouldn't be too much to do to the 360 platform. Now having owned both, the suspensions aren't that much different. I have IFS and the kit to do my SAS is about $1900. 85% bolt on. The donor axle this kit is designed for is out of a 1980-85 Jeep Wagoneer model Dana 44 (D44), with a driver's side drop and a non-vacuum actuated disconnect.

So... which company makes that? Any possibility we can get them interested in our platform?

The manufacturer name is Calmini. The company I found that's dealing them is called Pure Nissan http://www.purenissan.com/05%20suspension.htm The 2005-09 frontier has an incredibly similar front suspension set-up. The front 2.5" spacer lift kits look like the GM 360 platform kit. Calmini might be a good direction to look into.
Time. . .is my greatest enemy.
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

Name: bb

by NeilageInc » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:52 pm

If some of you guys would really be serious I would be happy to build a SAS kit. It would also be mated to a D44 and run about 5 or 6 inches of lift. Since I will be doing Teebees lift, maybe you guys should wait and see. Let me know if you have questions or concerns. Thanks Neil.
NEILAGEINC.com
NeilageInc

Name: Neil Talmadge

by SteveTB03 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:11 pm

what kind of lift for teebes?
Go Big & Go Broke
SteveTB03
Addict

Name: Steve Darras

by teebes » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:39 pm

Currently discussing a D44 w/ 10" or 12" coilovers, will depend at fab time. Goal will be, as Neil mentioned, about a 6" lift to get enough room. The front axle will no doubt be pushed forward a bit, too.

This will be more realistic after desert season is over and current projects are wrapped up :excited:

Very interested in discussion from others that have SAS'd another vehicle before, parts used, steering components, etc.
teebes
Founder

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:33 pm

teebes wrote:Currently discussing a D44 w/ 10" or 12" coilovers, will depend at fab time. Goal will be, as Neil mentioned, about a 6" lift to get enough room. The front axle will no doubt be pushed forward a bit, too.

This will be more realistic after desert season is over and current projects are wrapped up :excited:

Very interested in discussion from others that have SAS'd another vehicle before, parts used, steering components, etc.

I like your style. That would be a great set-up and pretty well what I want. I have been trying to get time to talk with a couple of late 90's sas'ed s-10 blazer owners. I got one i just need to go see, but he used leafs. The other i saw a couple times and now am trying to find it on the road since i think it lives nearby.
HARDTRAILZ

by OregTrailBlazin » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:59 pm

teebes wrote:Currently discussing a D44 w/ 10" or 12" coilovers, will depend at fab time. Goal will be, as Neil mentioned, about a 6" lift to get enough room. The front axle will no doubt be pushed forward a bit, too.

I've personally done a few toyota's... I've found the Cherokee front axle seems to be the closest fit, if I were to use a full 44, I would replace the rear to match. I figured for myself I would want it fairly small still, no more than 35" tires. So teh 35 out of a cherokee would be fine with upgraded axles. If you made a new oil pan, utilizing the space taken up by the axle going through, it could be lower profile, allowing for more upward travel. Which I think is key to this project.... Hit me up anytime, I think you have my number, if not, I can PM it to you.. I've done a bit of looking into this idea!
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Johnathan Kurz

PreviousNext