Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Possible Speedometer and Abs fix for gear change

Dumping ground for offroad Trailblazer or Envoy general discussion.

by bspellman » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:14 pm

I was browsing though summit racing's website and spotted this http://m.summitracing.com/parts/jet-50108

Curious if anybody has tried this or if I discovered a possible fix.
bspellman
Cruiser

Name: Brandon Spellman
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Eredin » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:39 pm

Interesting. I just have my Scanguage II adjusted 7% for mine since my stepper gauge on the speedo is broke anyway. You get more information displayed to your preference for about the same money.

http://www.amazon.com/ScanGauge-Automotive-Computer-Customizable-Real-Time/dp/B000AAMY86/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1403721506&sr=1-1&keywords=scangauge+ii

Just throwing it out there as an option.
1988 Pontiac GTA WS6 - LSX Swap

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer LT
2012 Chevrolet Cruze LT

Build Thread
Eredin
Trail-Blazer

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Gordinho80 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:34 pm

Scanguage doesn't correct what the vehicle's computer is seeing, as this claims to do. It is definitely interesting
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by Eredin » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:28 pm

Gordinho80 wrote:Scanguage doesn't correct what the vehicle's computer is seeing, as this claims to do. It is definitely interesting

Right. The ScanGuage does this on the back end, within the item itself, taking the PCM reading and adjusting it based on the percentage you input.
1988 Pontiac GTA WS6 - LSX Swap

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer LT
2012 Chevrolet Cruze LT

Build Thread
Eredin
Trail-Blazer

by Trail X » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:11 pm

Depends on what gears you are switching from/to. It doesn't seem to have enough turns to handle the change from 3.42 to 4.56, but it can handle 3.42 to 4.11.

A possibly better option was posted by Dirty Anton a couple years ago. I have been lookint into it as an option for me.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by ErikSS » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:27 am

Which years can't be adjusted with the PCM? Barton told me once but I'm not 100% sure. PCM of NC adjusted my (2008) speedometer without additional charge when they did my Tune.
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by Cable810 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:14 am

Wasn't it 06 and up we can correct and any years under we can't. BTW I had to set my scanguage at -13%
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Vehicle Year: 2002

by v7guy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:45 am

if you're primarily concerned with the speedo then Anton's method works fine. You can find it here

But if we're having issues with ABS cause the computer doesn't see the right signal, then I would think Antons method wouldn't work as he mentioned when it was hooked up pre PCM he kept getting error codes.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by Trail X » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:06 pm

I hadn't remembered reading that, but I trust you. Thats disappointing. I didn't see any warnings against it on their website. I have seen a few things that seem like they would do it, but I guess the ABS system is a bit touchier than the speedometer gauge. I need to read into it more I guess.

I beleive the programming cutoff for speedometer settings is the implementation of the CAN protocols. I think that was 2006+. I don't know if 2006+ can adjust gear ratios.
Trail X
Founder

by Shdwdrgn » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:12 pm

2006+ is the cutoff. 2002-2005 used the P10 PCM, which has no aftermarket support for changing the gears (but we do have files available to update to different factory gears). The newer models use the P12 PCM, which does have support in aftermarket programmers to adjust both the gears and tire size.

@Gordinho80 -- I thought you was going to use the HPT file I sent to you to reprogram yours. Whatever happened with that? It seems like programming the PCM with the correct information would be far better than using an aftermarket solution that only mucks with the signals.
GT5/G80, 265/70-16, PCMforLess + personal tuning, quad headlights
Self-made steel front bumper / pushbar / skid / CAI / lightbar
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

Name: Jeff Taylor

by TBYODA » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:55 pm

Shdwdrgn wrote:2006+ is the cutoff. 2002-2005 used the P10 PCM, which has no aftermarket support for changing the gears (but we do have files available to update to different factory gears). The newer models use the P12 PCM, which does have support in aftermarket programmers to adjust both the gears and tire size.

@Gordinho80 -- I thought you was going to use the HPT file I sent to you to reprogram yours. Whatever happened with that? It seems like programming the PCM with the correct information would be far better than using an aftermarket solution that only mucks with the signals.

Are the newer 06 & 07 P12's backwards comparable to the older vehicles or could they be adapted? I know the 08+ have also have a TCM which would make it more of a challenge. ;)
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo

by Shdwdrgn » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 pm

TBYODA wrote:Are the newer 06 & 07 P12's backwards comparable to the older vehicles or could they be adapted? I know the 08+ have also have a TCM which would make it more of a challenge. ;)

Totally different connectors and pinout... although there's been discussion on the other site where a couple people actually rewired a P12 into their older models. If I remember right, one person rewiring new connectors from scratch, and the other person was adapting the whole engine wiring harness (which I believe was the easier route?). I seem to recall there were issues with talking to the BCM, but otherwise I think they were successful? That's just another one of those things where you have to be damn motivated to make it worth the effort.
GT5/G80, 265/70-16, PCMforLess + personal tuning, quad headlights
Self-made steel front bumper / pushbar / skid / CAI / lightbar
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

Name: Jeff Taylor

by DirtyBacon04 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:34 am

Well back to the origin of this thread...
Assuming no one has experience with the item linked in the OP? Is there any reason it wouldn't work for us?
Would it only correct our speedo and not ABS due to the location of our sensors? I have next to nothing knowledge wise about PCM programming.
According to the application guide it'll work for a 2004 LS

Application Guide
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael

by Trail X » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:34 pm

As I said before, it should be ok for 4.11 gears, but it doesn't seem to have enough adjustment range to adjust for 4.56 gears.

The question is which VSS controls the abs. If someone had a working system, they could try unplugging one of the two and then letting us know which lights come on. Not sure if the speedo uses the VSS as the abs either.
Trail X
Founder

by TBYODA » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:42 pm

Trail X wrote:As I said before, it should be ok for 4.11 gears, but it doesn't seem to have enough adjustment range to adjust for 4.56 gears.

Could you use a second one some how, first one adjusts say to 4.11 then second one to 4.56?
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

TBYODA

by Trail X » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:35 pm

You'd have to talk to the manufacturer to answer that one.
Trail X
Founder

by TBYODA » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:54 pm

Trail X wrote:You'd have to talk to the manufacturer to answer that one.

:Iagree: Not that I need to use one of these with my 08 :mrgreen: just offering up ideas to others, maybe worthless. :pale:

TBYODA

by larryk » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:33 am

Hi guys.... Well, I made the switch (FINALLY) from Trailvoy over to here. Im getting my weinerdog turned into more of a real truck..... I know, not ideal for offroad, but I do want it more capable than what it was.

Soo.....has this issue on a 2004 ever been resolved? I just swapped out the rear axle for a 4.10 (from 3.42) and have the front driveshaft off while Im building up my courage to tackle that front one! I had the PCM reprogrammed, as the original programming was, obviously, way off and it threw the ABS/Brake lights. Got the PCM back, and the trans shifts better, but a)my speedo is still off, and b) after a few miles...damn ABS/Brake light threw down again.

I realize with the 3 channel ABS that the rear input to the ABS comes from the PCM, which is then compared to the front ABS sensor wheel speed. Since the wheel speed is independent of gear/tire size, Im 99% sure the issue is coming from the PCM translating transfer case output shaft speed to wheel speed.....and boom, christmas tree lights on the dash :(

Any help/advice on this is much appreciated

THANKS!!!
larryk
Off-Roader

Name: Larry
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by tarsh » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:53 am

I have the swb 4.2 and i as well swapped for a 8.6 rear end with 4.10. In my experience the abs light came from a front hubs Because the wire got pulled on the driver side. My pcm was tuned and i have the 04. So I'm willing to bet it's the hubs abs wire.
Take the path less traveled
My Build Thread
tarsh
Trail-Blazer

Name: Nathan Schroeder

by larryk » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:06 am

tarsh wrote:I have the swb 4.2 and i as well swapped for a 8.6 rear end with 4.10. In my experience the abs light came from a front hubs Because the wire got pulled on the driver side. My pcm was tuned and i have the 04. So I'm willing to bet it's the hubs abs wire.

Hmmm..... I did absolutely nothing with the front (yet), so Im not sure why this code (and the crazy dash light show) went down when I changed the rear axle ratio. Do you really think that it would be the front hubs?
larryk
Off-Roader

Name: Larry
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

Next

Return to Off Road Discussion