Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

6.2L w/ six speed trans & 4wd in a 2007 Trailblazer

Dumping ground for offroad Trailblazer or Envoy general discussion.

by DonTerry » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:34 pm

So I'm planning a project for my trailblazer (5.3l w/4l60 & np226) and I think I have settled on the configuration as I've always wanted a six speed in this truck. I'm mainly planning this for street use but I will probably be moving to Colorado in a year so want to keep the 4wd.

I have a low mileage 2007 6.2L L92 motor from an Escalade sitting in the garage and I currently have Shift Rite Transmissions sourcing the 6l80(six speed trans) and np246 (transfer case). I would have liked to go with the 6l90 trans and MP3024 (NQH) TC from a Silverado 2500 but I wasn't sure about the TCCM controlling the newer TC or what would happen if I swapped in the 2500's TCCM. They have the same connectors but I don't know if the BCM would freak out and/or my dash switch would be compatible.

I know people have put the 6l80 in the TB before with the stock transfer case and I also know that EricSS has the np246 is his SS so I am fairly certain that I won't have clearance issues.

I know I will probably have to modify the trans crossmember and will definitely have to shorten/lengthen the driveshafts.

I haven't decided to stay with the 3.73 gears I have now or go down to 3.42 yet. The first gear in the 6l80 is 4.03 so if I stay with the stock gears it would be that same as if I put 4.88's in with the stock four speed trans! I think the plan is to get a junkyard front diff with 3.42's in and pick up a SS rear (14 bolt w/ lsd) and swap the gears. I would need to get some type of Limited Slip with this setup anyways.

I have two routes for the wiring. tbmsport.com sells a nice 4l60 to 6l80 adapter but it is pricey or I could have the harness modified by a very competent local guy.

Fortunately in Tampa we have a few options for excellent tuners so I think I don't really have to worry about the computer other than there isn't a specific VIN to reference that has this engine/trans/tc combo.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by DonTerry on Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DonTerry

Name: Donovan
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Donovan, for future reference, the build thread area is a specific portion of the site dedicated solely to builds. We don't even allow responses in that section from people other than the original poster.

Since you're garnering input, and don't have your thread in the specified build thread format, I moved the thread for you.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by mikekey » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:25 pm

Luckily the oil pans on these are the same, so you're going to need an LS2 oil pan if you're not going SAS, are you thinking of going SAS?
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by bartonmd » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:27 pm

His stock 5.3L oil pan should fit, right? They're all LS engines...

Mike
bartonmd

by mikekey » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:30 pm

No, the 5.3L is based on the LS1, and the oil pans are different, LS2 and LS3 are based on revised design, believe it or not. However...... I am basing my information on car motors, not what they did for the trucks. I know for a fact and LS1 oil pan off a camaro will not fit on the LS2 off a GTO. So I'm making an assumption. Guess he'll find out either way.

Glad to see another local Floridian to me and Bacon. Sorry you're trapped in this state. Our plan is to move out west in another year or so as well. :cheers: Funny, me and Erik kicked this very idea around awhile ago. Just waiting for someone to re-end the GXP, lol.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

by DonTerry » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:34 pm

No SAS right now...maybe a project once I'm in Colorado. Or might just get an old CJ5/7 like my buddies for crawling and keep this as a DD.

I believe the oil pan from my 5.3l should bolt right since it is the 2007 Gen IV LH6. I could see that the older 5.3l Gen III LM4 might not be compatible.
DonTerry

by mikekey » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:37 pm

2002-2007 4.8, 5.3, 6.0, Truck/Escalade

Actually not sure, so I'll just shut up. :thumleft:

But since you are going with a SAS it actually doesn't matter, you won't be going thru the oil pan.

BTW, Joe over at Powertech Performance is a great tuner who is experienced in swaps, does a lot of Corvette work. :cheers:
mikekey
Lifer

by DonTerry » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:49 pm

Just to be clear I will NOT be do a SAS right now, maybe later but it won't be part of this build.

Those are great diagrams, where are you pulling them from?

I've actually been trying to get a hold of Phil from Tampa Tuning, isn't he part of Powertech Performance? He seems to have a good reputation for engines with VVT and 6l80's. I was thinking about driving over to Powertech to talk to them about the project.
DonTerry

by Shdwdrgn » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:03 pm

It's too bad you're not moving to Colorado for a year... I still have my stock 3.42 front diff and rear axle sitting in the garage.
GT5/G80, 265/70-16, PCMforLess + personal tuning, quad headlights
Self-made steel front bumper / pushbar / skid / CAI / lightbar
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

Name: Jeff Taylor
Vehicle Year: 2004

by mikekey » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:40 pm

I don't think this is happening, guy dropped off the face of the earth.
mikekey
Lifer

Return to Off Road Discussion