Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Big plans for the heavy chevy

Dumping ground for offroad Trailblazer or Envoy general discussion.

by DirtyBacon04 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:39 pm

Well, as we're aware, the Bacon's front diff is in need of medical attention. Medical attention that I dont have the skills to do. So much like a sick cat, my plan is to get rid of the broken diff and replace with a new one. While I'm at it, I figure i'll upgrade the ratio to 4.10. Since I'm doing that, I'll have to upgrade the rear ratio as well. But why replace the gears when I can replace the whole axle with an open 8.6". This is where having contacts came in handy today. I went to the shop/recycler that our Sheriff's Office contracts to do the heavy work on our cars. He was able to find me a front diff in 4.10 w/ 70k miles and a rear axle 8.6" non g80 in 4.10 for a total of ~1k (shipped). Keep in mind these both are being shipped from Alabama and Missouri. Not only that, he said I can use one of his bays and mechanics to help me do the work. Both axles should be in in appx 3 days. I'll recoop some of the $ w/ a core refund

Dont know how far up that crack goes

Since I'm going to have the diffs already out, obviously i will be replacing all the seals. I'll most likely go with a LockRight for the rear (not definate) but I didnt want to do a LR for the front due to the extra wear. If only the truetrac was avaliable for our front.... i think that would be ideal for us daily drivin, non-hardcore guys 8-)

Also going to be replacing all four front control arms because this is what my front/upper looks like it

None of my arms have ever been replaced, so seems like good opprotunity. To do all of them.

Also, I've ordered parts over the past few months/year that i've just been too lazy to install. I've got new bilstein HD's since on my Farewell West Coast tour I had to take one of Bill's old used regular bilsteins due to bushing failure on BDS lift. I also bought Marks 3" for the front that will be going in also. Need to order UBJ for obvious reasons.

I've also had the HD tie rods for over a year in a box... Also have had Mevo sway bar links for quite a few months waiting install. I was going to sell Marks 3" / bilstein hd combo for some radflo's. But this most recent axle issue has refocused my heavy spending. I'll get more benefit from the drivetrain upgrade.
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by JorDaneeKey » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:56 pm

:drool3:
As told by the other half: Build Thread
JorDaneeKey
Addict

Name: JorDanee
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Gordinho80 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:00 pm

Lots of 4.10s in the works... NICE!
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by RyansTBLS » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:26 pm

:lurk:
The problem with the Trailblazer is, people think you know what you're doing.
RyansTBLS
Addict

Name: Ryan
Vehicle Year: 2006

by v7guy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:44 am

it's true, this makes me happy. lookin forward to more pics!
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by TBYODA » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:01 am

DirtyBacon04 wrote: If only the truetrac was available for our front.... i think that would be ideal for us daily drivin, non-hardcore guys 8-) .
I agree and you would get real four wheel drive when not one wheel lifted in the air.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by mikekey » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:19 am

I've had secret fantasies about quadrasteer. Trutrac would be nice too.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike

by The Roadie » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:19 pm

A co-worker got a used Quadrasteer Suburban a couple of years ago. His turning radius was identical to the Roadiemobile, which was shocking. But looking at the control system (drive by wire - electric motor on the rack) made it unsuitable for offroading. The rear wheels steer opposite the front at low speeds, but in the same direction at high speed, I think. Making lane changes by just crabbing sideways, he said. I didn't confirm this with a look at a manual.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by mikekey » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:31 pm

The Roadie wrote:A co-worker got a used Quadrasteer Suburban a couple of years ago. His turning radius was identical to the Roadiemobile, which was shocking. But looking at the control system (drive by wire - electric motor on the rack) made it unsuitable for offroading. The rear wheels steer opposite the front at low speeds, but in the same direction at high speed, I think. Making lane changes by just crabbing sideways, he said. I didn't confirm this with a look at a manual.

Sounds about right. Quadrasteer was really about improved towing. Not really something I'll do with the TB. But it's like portal axles. One can day dream of crazy ideas. :flex dirty:
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike

by TBYODA » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:18 pm

mikekey wrote:I've had secret fantasies about quadrasteer. Trutrac would be nice too.
I would assume those who used the Powertrax Lock-Right Locker in time destroy there front Differential?
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

TBYODA

by Moots1288 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:38 pm

TBYODA wrote:
mikekey wrote:I've had secret fantasies about quadrasteer. Trutrac would be nice too.
I would assume those who used the Powertrax Lock-Right Locker in time destroy there front Differential?
only 2 have done it and have had everything else fail besides the frot diff.. I'm looking into installing one in my front diff in time.
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots

by v7guy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:17 am

TBYODA wrote:

I believe last time we had a good thread on it, the general consensus was that the lockright would probably be fine with 33s. Even the carnage that was done on 35s was the result of full throttle, bouncing up hills with the wheels sharply turned. When Matt gets around to it I'm sure we'll find out how durable it really is.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by TBYODA » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:31 am

v7guy wrote:
TBYODA wrote:

I believe last time we had a good thread on it, the general consensus was that the lockright would probably be fine with 33s. Even the carnage that was done on 35s was the result of full throttle, bouncing up hills with the wheels sharply turned. When Matt gets around to it I'm sure we'll find out how durable it really is.

If I jump in and went to re-gear I might as well add one add one at that time. But got to read that thread and see what the con's could be.
Last edited by TBYODA on Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TBYODA

by DirtyBacon04 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:48 pm

The suspense is killing me. Whats worse is I'll probably have to wait till weekend after next to do the work. I picked up an extra shift this week and I'm already working all weekend.
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael

by fishsticks » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:13 am

TBYODA wrote:If I jump in and went to re-gear I might as well add one add one at that time. But got to read that thread and see what the con's could be.

Having to carry more spare parts. I learned how to swap a CV shaft on a hilift in around 10 minutes. :mrgreen:

Also, upgrade to 3/4 ton tie rods and bring spares.

Most of the breaking happens because the front locker turns EVERYTHING you're currently doing into Easy Mode, so you go looking for trouble. At least I did.

The spider gears in the front diff are RIDICULOUSLY small and weak. The Lockrite gets rid of those and therefore is a strength upgrade. I'd prefer all the other points of failure I had to deal with over having to pull out that front diff again.

I would recommend people regear before doing the front locker though. The crack in Bacon's front diff looks like the result of pinion walk. I have this theory that a higher ratio gear would help combat that.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by Shdwdrgn » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:23 pm

DirtyBacon04 wrote:The suspense is killing me. Whats worse is I'll probably have to wait till weekend after next to do the work. I picked up an extra shift this week and I'm already working all weekend.

Don't you hate that? I was going to swap my rear last Saturday, then thought against it with all the flooding that was occurring. Now I wish I'd just gone ahead and done it. I'm also still trying to track down a quote for getting my computer reprogrammed to the new gear ratio.
GT5/G80, 265/70-16, PCMforLess + personal tuning, quad headlights
Self-made steel front bumper / pushbar / skid / CAI / lightbar
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

Name: Jeff Taylor

by Regulator1175 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:58 pm

Shdwdrgn wrote:
DirtyBacon04 wrote:The suspense is killing me. Whats worse is I'll probably have to wait till weekend after next to do the work. I picked up an extra shift this week and I'm already working all weekend.

Don't you hate that? I was going to swap my rear last Saturday, then thought against it with all the flooding that was occurring. Now I wish I'd just gone ahead and done it. I'm also still trying to track down a quote for getting my computer reprogrammed to the new gear ratio.

PCM for Less
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland
Vehicle Year: 2002

by Shdwdrgn » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:55 am

I have a PCMforLess tune. I also have HPTuners. So can anyone tell me what numbers I should change to adjust for the new gear ratio?
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

by djthumper » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:09 am

Why don't you go to the HPTuners forums and ask? I am sure someone there can point you in the right direction.
djthumper

Name: Larry

by Shdwdrgn » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:18 am

I've gotten less-than-spectacular responses from their forum in the past... Guess it can't hurt to try again, but I won't hold my breath.

I don't suppose anyone here has 4.10 gears and HPT, and can tell me what numbers they have entered on the speedo page? I can't think of any other settings that might affect this.
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

Next

Return to Off Road Discussion